Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

KW, Moton, JRZ: Which is the best for Street Sport use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW, Moton, JRZ: Which is the best for Street Sport use?

I heard Moton is the best but pricy and JRZ is good to. Are they really better then KW(V3) and PSS10 for street sport?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the PSS10 and really like them. I like how easy it is to adjust.
Just my two cents...
Al Z
Old 12-17-2011, 04:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have the budget, any of these can be configured to offer a smooth ride that's better than any Bilstein setup.

My choice would be MCS shocks; Motion Control Suspension. These are designed and made by the people who used to make Motons.

If you have questions, you can call or e-mail me directly.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM
camlob
Pro

I love my JIC's. If Bill Verburg likes them, then it must be good Bang for your buck. But of course, if you can afford spending big bucks for the JRZ's or motons.....Motion Control offered by Steve W seems to be a good alternative.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had PSS-9's with the as-supplied springs (not sure of spring rates) back in the day, and they were pretty good for the street. On the stiffest setting, they were fairly rough, so I usually had them on a middle point.

My Moton Clubsports are also amazingly compliant on the street. I have relatively soft (for the track) 700/900 lb springs and the ride is really not too bad at all. Smarter people than me such as Steve Weiner say that this compliance is due to the inherent design differences over the Bilstein's DeCarbon design. I will mention that the Motons are incredibly low, so you might have better height adjustability with KW, JIC or MCS. As far as durability, my Motons are now seven years old (with the typical minimal race car mileage), and they have yet to leak.

That all said, I do think Motons are total overkill for the street and am not sure why you'd want them unless it's for street cred. Maybe the JIC's or KW's are a better value (not sure if they're cheaper). Along with, of course, the vaunted Motons, I see a fair number of club race cars with JIC's. John Haas ran his 993 in G stock (and the old D stock before they flipped the order of the letter class cars) with JIC"s for many years and did amazingly well with them. If I had a pure street car, I'd probably go with JIC's.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I had PSS-9's with the as-supplied springs (not sure of spring rates) back in the day, and they were pretty good for the street. On the stiffest setting, they were fairly rough, so I usually had them on a middle point.

My Moton Clubsports are also amazingly compliant on the street. I have relatively soft (for the track) 700/900 lb springs and the ride is really not too bad at all. Smarter people than me such as Steve Weiner say that this compliance is due to the inherent design differences over the Bilstein's DeCarbon design. I will mention that the Motons are incredibly low, so you might have better height adjustability with KW, JIC or MCS. As far as durability, my Motons are now seven years old (with the typical minimal race car mileage), and they have yet to leak.

That all said, I do think Motons are total overkill for the street and am not sure why you'd want them unless it's for street cred. Maybe the JIC's or KW's are a better value (not sure if they're cheaper). Along with, of course, the vaunted Motons, I see a fair number of club race cars with JIC's. John Haas ran his 993 in G stock (and the old D stock before they flipped the order of the letter class cars) with JIC"s for many years and did amazingly well with them. If I had a pure street car, I'd probably go with JIC's.
I am currently running on KW V3, they are pretty good but i heard something like Moton and JRZ offer something difference.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:07 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plain and simple, if you want to go nuts you have to go Dutch;-)

Secret especially lies in the high speed bump valving, as well as the adjustable gas pressure.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand new JIC Cross system in the box never installed.They are the red/black ones.I had them set up as soft as possible 7/10.They said it should be good for the street.I do not want them.I will SELL them for $1500.00 + shipping.PM me if anybody is interested.Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

We run KW V3 in our Cayman S that is a DD and DE car. We run JIC with race rate springs in our 996 race car, but will be moving to JRZ. The team we partner with and support is running JRZ motorsport dampers in the 997 GT3 Cups and is really impressed with them. For a street car it is hard to justify the expense of a JRZ/Moton/MCS, but for a car that sees the track, they can make sense.

We sell the KW and the JRZ but can also get the Bilstien (though not a big fan) and we can also source the Moton.

Steve W above is your man for MCS.

Cheers
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Terrance

As a self confessed purveyor of wisdom I seldom take heed of myself - if you have a street Cabrio Tipo why would you want to go nuts on a $5k motorsport race suspension system for HK roads? I only have experience with HD/MO30 and Bilstein PSS10 (which Im very pleased with), and I only would do few track days, so I think you should stick with your KV3 or look to PSS10. The guy with the yellow 993 in the UK who writes up his own blog (hes a rennlister) has tried bith and give some good feedback. http://www.jackals-forge.com - UK roads are probably more similar to yours than US ones IMHO...

Cheers
Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Terrance

As a self confessed purveyor of wisdom I seldom take heed of myself - if you have a street Cabrio Tipo why would you want to go nuts on a $5k motorsport race suspension system for HK roads? I only have experience with HD/MO30 and Bilstein PSS10 (which Im very pleased with), and I only would do few track days, so I think you should stick with your KV3 or look to PSS10. The guy with the yellow 993 in the UK who writes up his own blog (hes a rennlister) has tried bith and give some good feedback. http://www.jackals-forge.com - UK roads are probably more similar to yours than US ones IMHO...

Cheers
Thanks for your comments and links. Life is boring, just want to go crazy with my 993...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. I know the feeling. Check out my thread called "self gratification with pictures" and youll find I am fatally inflicted with the same disease! There may be some good ideas there on where else to spend your money too...Good luck....
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 AM
sonny1
Banned

For street nothing tops Bilstein stuff,... Motons,JRZ,Ohlins,Penske,...overkill for the street,not worth it.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. I know the feeling. Check out my thread called "self gratification with pictures" and youll find I am fatally inflicted with the same disease! There may be some good ideas there on where else to spend your money too...Good luck....
Read that and my jaw is still dropped.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Street performance results will probably vary depending on the quality of your streets. If you live in an area plagued by poor asphalt, pot-holes and plain ol' rough roads than a softer sprung system like the Bilsteins will perform BETTER than a race prepped car with 1500 lb springs and triple adjustable shocks.

I love my JIC's. For the price I don't think you can find anything comparable (especially at $1500 for 77'3.6Vram's new setup). While I consider the JIC's an excellent comporimised street/track setup there are places near my home where I wish I had softer springs than the 700/1100 lb springs in the car. On really rough patches the car "skips" over the road and can feel twitchy and sometimes even unsafe. My car felt solid and planted down those same roads with the stock suspension.

I guess my point here is that just like tire selection the suspension must be matched to the track/road conditions in the same way that Hoosier slicks are great racing tires but a bad choice in the rain.

Quick Reply: KW, Moton, JRZ: Which is the best for Street Sport use?