Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW, Moton, JRZ: Which is the best for Street Sport use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Steve Weiner has taken the time to layout several different suspension packages based on intended use, he did a pretty good job too
Rennsport Systems 993 Suspension
I would only differ about the Level 4 package and the need for ERP adjustable arms, maybe if you were racing for big bucks in a pro-series but for most of us hackers stock arms w/ monoballs would be fine and I wouldn't even consider PSS10 for a pure(level 4) track car
Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Steve Weiner has taken the time to layout several different suspension packages based on intended use, he did a pretty good job too
Rennsport Systems 993 Suspension
I would only differ about the Level 4 package and the need for ERP adjustable arms, maybe if you were racing for big bucks in a pro-series but for most of us hackers stock arms w/ monoballs would be fine and I wouldn't even consider PSS10 for a pure(level 4) track car
Hi Bill. I am just curious what your damper settings are on your JICs? I know that there a lot of variables that come into play, like what track you drive on, sway bars etc. For a road setting, I am now at 7 clicks from the stiffest setting which is pretty much in the middle, for both front and rear. For track, I go stiffer by two clicks.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Camlob,
I know you didn't ask my opinion but I run at 1 click from full soft on the rear and five clicks from soft in the front for street driving.
At Qualcomm stadium I would probably leave go a few clicks stiffer. At a smoother track I would set the front at full stiff and the rear about 5 clicks softer as a starting point.
The adjustments will, like you said, depend on the track/road that is being driven on and the front rear bias will change depending on your sway bars.
Since I don't have adjustable sways I use the shock settings as my primary means of adjusting over/under-steer.
With a neutral setting I get a lot of "push". Even on the street I prefer a bit of oversteer and like the rear end a little loose.

Last edited by chaoscreature; 12-19-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: accidentally submitted early.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Camlob,
I know you didn't ask my opinion but I run at 1 click from full soft on the rear and five clicks from soft in the front for street driving.
At Qualcomm stadium I would probably leave go a few clicks stiffer. At a smoother track I would set the front at full stiff and the rear about 5 clicks softer as a starting point.
The adjustments will, like you said, depend on the track/road that is being driven on and the front rear bias will change depending on your sway bars.
Since I don't have adjustable sways I use the shock settings as my primary means of adjusting over/under-steer.
With a neutral setting I get a lot of "push". Even on the street I prefer a bit of oversteer and like the rear end a little loose.
Hey thanks for your inputs. Good to hear them. Ill give it a try. Did you ever try a softer front end? I wonder what effect it would have on the understeer.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

The JRZ RS1 is a great shock to look at if looking for a street / sport application. It gives you a wide range of adjustment which helps with comfort and also handling.

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
Hi Bill. I am just curious what your damper settings are on your JICs? I know that there a lot of variables that come into play, like what track you drive on, sway bars etc. For a road setting, I am now at 7 clicks from the stiffest setting which is pretty much in the middle, for both front and rear. For track, I go stiffer by two clicks.
where you run the shocks depends on spring rates and use
all #s are from full stiff
for track use
-4 front
-2 rear

for street
-6 front
-4 rear

experiment, it's easy to tell when it's too soft as the car gets bouncy, harder to tell if it's too hard
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to correct myself from the other night. I run at 1 click from full soft in the front and 5 clicks from soft in the rear (so I am stiffer in the back than the front). The other way around would cause the car to push more.

Dang Bill, you like em' stiff. I drove home from Willow Springs with my settings close to that after a DE and I felt EVERYTHING. Concrete freeways are the worst. There is a spot on the 5 North near Bevery Hills that I hit so hard my head slammed into the roof, I almost went off the road!

Here are the original recommendations from Jon at JIC:

I am very happy you like kit.
front 7 rear 15 is good for street. track drive front 1 rear 5
1 is hardest 15 is softest.
Thanks !
Jon

He drives a GT2 Turbo so I would imagine it's a little easier for him to bring the back end around. I couldn't get my car to rotate at all with the settings like that.

Quick Reply: KW, Moton, JRZ: Which is the best for Street Sport use?