993 Forum 1995-1998

Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please

I realize the importance of brake pad sensors and why they're needed for some drivers. For the rest of us car nuts, are they really necessary? On my car, the front sensors came out really easily. The rears, however were like pulling teeth to remove. I know there's a DIY here for sensor delete. I'm not looking to delete the sensors. I was thinking of not attaching them to the pads, and just zip-tie them out of the way. Any harm or will it trigger brake pad warning? Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't use spiders or sensors. I have my sensors tied back behind the calipers. It will take a few years for my pads to wear out, so I don't worry about it. Plus I periodically check them. OEM rotors and Textar pads....no squeeking.
It makes swapping pads easier as well.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

I don't use pad sensors or spyders either, to prevent an OMG light(!) you need to cut the sensor wire and splice the ends together so that there is a continuous circuit, then tie wrap the ends out of the way.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Show-off Gotta love that blue!
Originally Posted by FisterD
I don't use spiders or sensors. I have my sensors tied back behind the calipers. It will take a few years for my pads to wear out, so I don't worry about it. Plus I periodically check them. OEM rotors and Textar pads....no squeeking.
It makes swapping pads easier as well.
Noob here....so tying the sensors to the back of the calipers will trigger warning, unless I splice them? Thanks
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I don't use pad sensors or spyders either, to prevent an OMG light(!) you need to cut the sensor wire and splice the ends together so that there is a continuous circuit, then tie wrap the ends out of the way.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

NO. I have mine tied back with the complete sensor zip-tied back behind the rotor. No warning light.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
NO. I have mine tied back with the complete sensor zip-tied back behind the rotor. No warning light.
here's the whole shebang, pad/spyder, sensor

Leave the plastic end plugged into the chassis wire, cut the wire between the plastic connector and the pad, splice the ends together, seal w/ shrink wrap or similar insulation.

another option is to pry the spyder off the pad and discard

coat the edges of the pads w/ Optimoly or similar Cu based high heat lube, I use a Wurth equivalent myself
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Fabulous! Thanks Bill for the detailed explanation and pic
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I realize the importance of brake pad sensors and why they're needed for some drivers. For the rest of us car nuts, are they really necessary? On my car, the front sensors came out really easily. The rears, however were like pulling teeth to remove. I know there's a DIY here for sensor delete. I'm not looking to delete the sensors. I was thinking of not attaching them to the pads, and just zip-tie them out of the way. Any harm or will it trigger brake pad warning? Thanks
That is exactly what I did but I cut the end and soldered them to ensure that there is no nuissance alarm. The sensors are cheap and can be added later easily if this is your concern.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Here's a good DIY, step by step: http://www.porsche964.nl/my964/sensors.php
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

What's the advantage of cutting the wire and soldering? I just removed the sensor from the pad and tied back the whole shebang.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the advantage of cutting the wire and soldering? I just removed the sensor from the pad and tied back the whole shebang.
If there is an open circuit a dash warning light should occur (! + brake), soldering is preferred to prevent corrosion and a potential open circuit that could result.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If there is an open circuit a dash warning light should occur (! + brake), soldering is preferred to prevent corrosion and a potential open circuit that could result.
The sensor is a plastic piece that wears thru if the pads are too low. A good sensor left intact is not an open circuit and will not cause a warning light. I have run mine this way for years with no issues. If you currently have the warning light, then your sensor is toast and you will need to cut/solder the wires together, otherwise just wrap it up behind, no cutting or soldering necessary. If you ever want to change back, just unwrap them and put the sensor back in the pad.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Originally Posted by FisterD
The sensor is a plastic piece that wears thru if the pads are too low. A good sensor left intact is not an open circuit and will not cause a warning light. I have run mine this way for years with no issues. If you currently have the warning light, then your sensor is toast and you will need to cut/solder the wires together, otherwise just wrap it up behind, no cutting or soldering necessary. If you ever want to change back, just unwrap them and put the sensor back in the pad.
Thanks! I've got no light. Btw, my wife got a suspicious package from you the other day..
Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I've got no light. Btw, my wife got a suspicious package from you the other day..
I know nothing!
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a $10 dollar part.. sooo
1. keep it in and you have an all up $40 of safety incase you miss something on your regular checks
2. more material on your breaks = better cooling! :P

* I can't wait to drive home.. drove the 993 today im addicted :P

phil.

Quick Reply: Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please