Notices

Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please

 
Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  #1  
P-daddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
P-daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Merland
Posts: 6,089
Default Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please

I realize the importance of brake pad sensors and why they're needed for some drivers. For the rest of us car nuts, are they really necessary? On my car, the front sensors came out really easily. The rears, however were like pulling teeth to remove. I know there's a DIY here for sensor delete. I'm not looking to delete the sensors. I was thinking of not attaching them to the pads, and just zip-tie them out of the way. Any harm or will it trigger brake pad warning? Thanks
P-daddy is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
  #2  
FisterD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FisterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,245
Default

I don't use spiders or sensors. I have my sensors tied back behind the calipers. It will take a few years for my pads to wear out, so I don't worry about it. Plus I periodically check them. OEM rotors and Textar pads....no squeeking.
It makes swapping pads easier as well.
Attached Images  
FisterD is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
  #3  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,939
Default

I don't use pad sensors or spyders either, to prevent an OMG light(!) you need to cut the sensor wire and splice the ends together so that there is a continuous circuit, then tie wrap the ends out of the way.
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
  #4  
P-daddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
P-daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Merland
Posts: 6,089
Default

Show-off Gotta love that blue!
Originally Posted by FisterD View Post
I don't use spiders or sensors. I have my sensors tied back behind the calipers. It will take a few years for my pads to wear out, so I don't worry about it. Plus I periodically check them. OEM rotors and Textar pads....no squeeking.
It makes swapping pads easier as well.
Noob here....so tying the sensors to the back of the calipers will trigger warning, unless I splice them? Thanks
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
I don't use pad sensors or spyders either, to prevent an OMG light(!) you need to cut the sensor wire and splice the ends together so that there is a continuous circuit, then tie wrap the ends out of the way.
P-daddy is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
  #5  
Falcondrivr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Falcondrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,830
Default

NO. I have mine tied back with the complete sensor zip-tied back behind the rotor. No warning light.
Falcondrivr is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
  #6  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,939
Default

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr View Post
NO. I have mine tied back with the complete sensor zip-tied back behind the rotor. No warning light.
here's the whole shebang, pad/spyder, sensor


Leave the plastic end plugged into the chassis wire, cut the wire between the plastic connector and the pad, splice the ends together, seal w/ shrink wrap or similar insulation.

another option is to pry the spyder off the pad and discard

coat the edges of the pads w/ Optimoly or similar Cu based high heat lube, I use a Wurth equivalent myself
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
  #7  
P-daddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
P-daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Merland
Posts: 6,089
Default

Fabulous! Thanks Bill for the detailed explanation and pic
P-daddy is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
  #8  
e9stibi
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
e9stibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,261
Default

Originally Posted by P-daddy View Post
I realize the importance of brake pad sensors and why they're needed for some drivers. For the rest of us car nuts, are they really necessary? On my car, the front sensors came out really easily. The rears, however were like pulling teeth to remove. I know there's a DIY here for sensor delete. I'm not looking to delete the sensors. I was thinking of not attaching them to the pads, and just zip-tie them out of the way. Any harm or will it trigger brake pad warning? Thanks
That is exactly what I did but I cut the end and soldered them to ensure that there is no nuissance alarm. The sensors are cheap and can be added later easily if this is your concern.
e9stibi is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
  #9  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,451
Default

Here's a good DIY, step by step: http://www.porsche964.nl/my964/sensors.php
911Jetta is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
  #10  
Falcondrivr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Falcondrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,830
Default

What's the advantage of cutting the wire and soldering? I just removed the sensor from the pad and tied back the whole shebang.
Falcondrivr is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
  #11  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,939
Default

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr View Post
What's the advantage of cutting the wire and soldering? I just removed the sensor from the pad and tied back the whole shebang.
If there is an open circuit a dash warning light should occur (! + brake), soldering is preferred to prevent corrosion and a potential open circuit that could result.
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
  #12  
FisterD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FisterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,245
Default

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr View Post
What's the advantage of cutting the wire and soldering? I just removed the sensor from the pad and tied back the whole shebang.
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
If there is an open circuit a dash warning light should occur (! + brake), soldering is preferred to prevent corrosion and a potential open circuit that could result.
The sensor is a plastic piece that wears thru if the pads are too low. A good sensor left intact is not an open circuit and will not cause a warning light. I have run mine this way for years with no issues. If you currently have the warning light, then your sensor is toast and you will need to cut/solder the wires together, otherwise just wrap it up behind, no cutting or soldering necessary. If you ever want to change back, just unwrap them and put the sensor back in the pad.
FisterD is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
  #13  
Falcondrivr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Falcondrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,830
Default

Originally Posted by FisterD View Post
The sensor is a plastic piece that wears thru if the pads are too low. A good sensor left intact is not an open circuit and will not cause a warning light. I have run mine this way for years with no issues. If you currently have the warning light, then your sensor is toast and you will need to cut/solder the wires together, otherwise just wrap it up behind, no cutting or soldering necessary. If you ever want to change back, just unwrap them and put the sensor back in the pad.
Thanks! I've got no light. Btw, my wife got a suspicious package from you the other day..
Falcondrivr is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
  #14  
FisterD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FisterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,245
Default

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr View Post
Thanks! I've got no light. Btw, my wife got a suspicious package from you the other day..
I know nothing!
Attached Images  
FisterD is offline  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
  #15  
element
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 580
Default

It's a $10 dollar part.. sooo
1. keep it in and you have an all up $40 of safety incase you miss something on your regular checks
2. more material on your breaks = better cooling! :P

* I can't wait to drive home.. drove the 993 today im addicted :P

phil.
element is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on Brake Pad Sensor Wire Please


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: