993 Forum 1995-1998

993 vs. mazda cx9??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 AM
993polartip
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 vs. mazda cx9??

Just wanted to share that I was on my way home in an expressway yesterday with my 96 993 tip loaded with gas, front passenger, trunk full, and rear seats with bags and was really being challenged by a Mazda CX9 all the way til about 110mph. Although I could have slowly pulled away to maybe a few car lengths it wasn't by much. He was always right there in fact making some stupid passes in the shoulder and cutting other cars just to try and race me. Seeing that I let him go by and make his day.

Just got me thinking about the car as whole again. I changed the intake, sports cats, mufflers (for sound only) and chipped the car for more performance but yesterdays experience made me think first of more performance (supercharging) but eventually will another 70-80 horses to this? Also I rarely drive the car to it's redline and never track it. Nor want to, by he end of the day I realized that my 993 is a keeper and will remain more so if I enjoy it for what it is a sexy sportscar that is still extremely fun to drive and look at. So for now am putting off that supercharger project and will just tease more SUV owner to say that they hung out with a Porsche and probably beat him, as am sure the story will pan out.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by 993polartip
Just wanted to share that I was on my way home in an expressway yesterday with my 96 993 tip loaded with gas, front passenger, trunk full, and rear seats with bags and was really being challenged by a Mazda CX9 all the way til about 110mph. Although I could have slowly pulled away to maybe a few car lengths it wasn't by much. He was always right there in fact making some stupid passes in the shoulder and cutting other cars just to try and race me. Seeing that I let him go by and make his day.

Just got me thinking about the car as whole again. I changed the intake, sports cats, mufflers (for sound only) and chipped the car for more performance but yesterdays experience made me think first of more performance (supercharging) but eventually will another 70-80 horses to this? Also I rarely drive the car to it's redline and never track it. Nor want to, by he end of the day I realized that my 993 is a keeper and will remain more so if I enjoy it for what it is a sexy sportscar that is still extremely fun to drive and look at. So for now am putting off that supercharger project and will just tease more SUV owner to say that they hung out with a Porsche and probably beat him, as am sure the story will pan out.
Dude get the SC and be done with it You will love your car even more.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you think the stock 993 is fun...wait until you try the SC.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 AM
993polartip
Advanced

camlob, axl911,

Tpc supercharger itch might be scratched, but being a 993 owner for only 12 months and hardly drive car hard will wait at least another 12 months if ever I do pull the trigger. Still enjoying the car relatively "stock". Though I must say those threads about supercharging is what I've been reading of late...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

A Mazda CX9 has 204kw and 367nm.
Porsche 993 has 212kw and 340nm.
That's pretty even in the power stakes.
So not surprising that the other car can keep up with you.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:55 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Jeez - I just checked out the Mazda3 MPS. That thing has 190kw and 380nm coming from a 2.3ltr turbo.
Man - new cars have lots of HP. Everyone is going turbo. Merc, BMW, etc.
Horsepower wars for sure.

I would say - life is short - get a SC and enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 AM
993polartip
Advanced

haygeebaby,

Enjoyed your thread on supercharging, very detailed and documented thank you sharing. If and when I do pull the trigger I hope you and axl911 won't mind if I trouble you for installation questions.

thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

you sure it was a CX-9, and not a CX-7? The 7 has the small tiurbo motor, and it scoots.

The wife just got rid of her 09 CX-7 this weekend, traded it for a 2012 Mini Countryman All4. The Mini is the 6 speed manual, down on hp compared to the Mazda, but almost 800 lbs lighter. It's a great little suv, the Mini.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Toto111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has a CX9 and I'm in the market for a 993.
After reading this thread she's going to debadge the Mazda and put a Porsche crest on the bonnet!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
sds
Advanced

For me it is unbelievable that a 993 owner considers SC to keep up with a crazy fellow in a Mazda in heavy traffic....really, i could make a cartoon out of that....

Leave it original, it's a classic already, no need to proof anything man.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
camlob
Pro

When I hear classics, I have visions of long hoods and SWBs. They are slow but have the character of a 911.

Driving a classic, is like, letting everyone go and enjoy the ride. I have friends with SWBs and long hoods etc. And they have the correct personality. They let everyone go and enjoy the scenery. Which I completely agree with. But the owner is a triathlete, he is up there with the lead group hammering to stay ahead.

So his personality fits installing the SC. Enjoy the car and avoid humiliating experiences.

Before 220hp was ok. Then 280hp became the norm. Now its 350 - 400hp. 280hp is history. Oops, classic history.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Living in Germany and having to fight for bragging rights with twin turbo Diesels and large V8's, I have to keep the engine rev in the sweet spot at all times to keep up although when it comes to braking and cornering in the mountains, I can easily outrun most of them. Today's cars are just to heavy and clumsy.
There's plenty of times when I'm cruising the Autobahn in 6th and let the others pass but I can hang with most of the fast cars if I want to.
Almost all the big league players are governed to 155mph so if the road's empty, I can outrun them over the top although that never last's long and they reel you back in. I enjoy the car for what it is and know the limitations I have over the big guns. Never had the feeling I'm missing out on anything.
Ed
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
993polartip
Advanced

magdaddy,

It was a cx9 me and my buddy who was riding shotgun were talking bout it as he was passingus, us passing him... Where I am from the cx7 as no turbo

sds,

We weren't in heavy traffic, never said that. it was an expressway, mazda was new, 993 16 yrs old apples to oranges, which is why it just made me think and ponder and wanted to share to illicit responses after my experience.

My idea on supercharging my car started not yesterday because of this mazda but by reading the great impropvements in FUN and PERFORMANCE made by a few RLers in numerous threads and posts in this site. Just as i discovered other mods that made my car more spritely like SW chip, sportscats....what I like about the SuperCharger is that it is pretty much a bolt on product that with some work you could bring it back to stock.

Camlob,

That was a tough first and second stage. First time I felt that I was over 40+ yrs old! We tried hard to close the 15+ minute gap that your team had on ours but no such luck, a lot of strong riders in your team. Well done, and congrats to Raul and the rest for yet another epic cycling tour!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993polartip
Just got me thinking about the car as whole again. I changed the intake, sports cats, mufflers (for sound only) and chipped the car for more performance but yesterdays experience made me think first of more performance (supercharging) but eventually will another 70-80 horses to this? Also I rarely drive the car to it's redline and never track it. .
The CX9 weighs 1000 lbs more than the 993. You should have torn it up.

I think you need to get to the track and do some DEs.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 993 is not yet an "old" classics like the 911. Many, including me, still see it as a modern high performance car. It is lighter and handles much better than the average modern family sedan...but unfortunately, it only have the power of the average modern family.

Also, the US car has the tall/slow/boring 2nd gear. With the SC, 2nd gear is now the fun gear!

BTW, it is true that after a DE or autox event, I do drive a bit slower than normal....seemed to have gotten the 'need for speed' out of my system.

Quick Reply: 993 vs. mazda cx9??