993 Forum 1995-1998

993 vs. mazda cx9??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
I seem to not only learn about cars, but also about geo-politics and social standards.
Sad, but true.

Rennlist wasn't always like this
Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,

My membership to Rennlist has paid off in more ways than I can imagine since I can now dispense with both The Economist and my radar detector.

I'm sure you all remember Prof Porsche's answer when shown around a Porsche meet with row upon row of shiny, perfectly maintained, spotless cars: ( and I paraphrase )- It makes me sad, I built these cars to be driven. Slow or fast, enjoy your car!

I love my 993 because it connects to me in ways other, faster, 911s do not. The 993 is the ultimate symbiosis of dream and sparse manufacture. It is the genetical evolution of the English garage-built idea placed in German hands. Every time I drive, I can feel the shudder of the metal skin as it shivers through every gear change, hear the mechanical rasp right behind me.

This is not a car, it is an extension of me, rendered human by the very hands that put it together, this very last air/oil cooled machine of mine. It is elegant and timeless. Comparing it to a CX9 is much like saying that you timed a Casio against your Vacheron Constantin and found the latter wanting.
Splendid!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I love getting on Rennlist, I really do. I seem to not only learn about cars, but also about geo-politics and social standards. Some people like to drive their cars fast other think them idiots for doing so. I have always wondered what fast means on public roads. Is 30 fast in a school zone, or is 100 fast on the highway. Maybe Niles13 can enlighten us.

I learned Germans are disciplined, although less so then 20 years ago, but it is all for naught because spend-free Greeks are taking away their savings (right Alex?). Maybe they're exacting payment for the free culture transfer over the first 1500 years or so

My membership to Rennlist has paid off in more ways than I can imagine since I can now dispense with both The Economist and my radar detector.

Now back to the subject at hand, I submit that it is less a question of whether a CX9 or Cx7 or whatever other SUV, or Japanese family car can/may embarrass a bona-fide Porschaah, but more a question of what you get out of it.

I'm sure you all remember Prof Porsche's answer when shown around a Porsche meet with row upon row of shiny, perfectly maintained, spotless cars: ( and I paraphrase )- It makes me sad, I built these cars to be driven. Slow or fast, enjoy your car!

I love my 993 because it connects to me in ways other, faster, 911s do not. The 993 is the ultimate symbiosis of dream and sparse manufacture. It is the genetical evolution of the English garage-built idea placed in German hands. Every time I drive, I can feel the shudder of the metal skin as it shivers through every gear change, hear the mechanical rasp right behind me.

This is not a car, it is an extension of me, rendered human by the very hands that put it together, this very last air/oil cooled machine of mine. It is elegant and timeless. Comparing it to a CX9 is much like saying that you timed a Casio against your Vacheron Constantin and found the latter wanting.
Pure poetry!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Hello,

I love getting on Rennlist, I really do. I seem to not only learn about cars, but also about geo-politics and social standards. Some people like to drive their cars fast other think them idiots for doing so. I have always wondered what fast means on public roads. Is 30 fast in a school zone, or is 100 fast on the highway. Maybe Niles13 can enlighten us.

I learned Germans are disciplined, although less so then 20 years ago, but it is all for naught because spend-free Greeks are taking away their savings (right Alex?). Maybe they're exacting payment for the free culture transfer over the first 1500 years or so

Now back to the subject at hand, I submit that it is less a question of whether a CX9 or Cx7 or whatever other SUV, or Japanese family car can/may embarrass a bona-fide Porschaah, but more a question of what you get out of it.

In your great contributions to this forum of 2 years and 116 posts you got all of us figured out. Which is good. The only thing left is to re-subscribe to Economist simply to learn that radar detectors are illegal in Ontario.

Oh, some of us actually drive fast. Some (not me) drive _very_ fast. Not on public roads. And only endangering like-minded individuals in proper protective gear. And even that sometimes fails, unfortunately. God forbid I would ever think of anyone an idiot for driving their Porsche fast on the track (unless they drive like an idiot on the track which happens often).

So, to answer your question - if you don't know what "fast" is on the street, go here and learn? http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/ Excellent explanations available there with words like "safe", "attitude" and "courteous" thrown in. All in all very Canadian, polite and simple, trust me. Check it out.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts on why we drive Porsches. I've said a number of times that to me it's very much the same reason why I collect and wear mechanical watches. It's just... "my watch is faster than yours" statement would be consider... yes, you guessed it, stupid. No matter ho much faster it actually is.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 AM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... some of you need to get laid to let go some frustration!!
So disturbing to see such disrespect for people and situations around the world.
Yup rennlist was not like this..
Get the SC and tell us your experiences
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I vote this to be the best post in this thread . . .

"I love my 993 because it connects to me in ways other, faster, 911s do not. The 993 is the ultimate symbiosis of dream and sparse manufacture. It is the genetical evolution of the English garage-built idea placed in German hands. Every time I drive, I can feel the shudder of the metal skin as it shivers through every gear change, hear the mechanical rasp right behind me.

This is not a car, it is an extension of me, rendered human by the very hands that put it together, this very last air/oil cooled machine of mine. It is elegant and timeless.
" - Serval

"That is gold Jerry! Pure gold!"
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Nile13, Mike, I do not make it a habit to pointedly answer specific posts to prove a point, but in this case I cannot resist, so let me apologize in advance for my transgression

One. You determined my location is Toronto and considered my comment about foregoing my radar detector to deduce that I am breaking the law. Sarcastic comments followed imbued by a swelling feeling of superiority. Awesome! Weaved The Economist in that as well - swipe at the elitist nature. Very Cool. Who's the man? You Da Man!!

Now let's see how you steer next, autocross experience and all: I, much like Alex I guess, split my time between Europe and Canada, my second residence being in Bucharest and frequently drive in Europe (are radar detectors legal in Bucharest???? –
Oh yeah! - jumped a bit to quickly to the wrong conclusion??? Naaah, not you. ). So you have a choice: admit you were presumptuous and think twice in the future, or follow your instincts and march on: decisions, decisions - life is just one big cross-road.

Two. You sent me a link to the letter of the law. But ask yourself if it makes sense first. I submit to you that sometime 30 is dangerous while 100 is not. Going 100 km/h - speed limit on the 401, in Canada will have over 50% of the cars pass you.

That is more dangerous than going with the flow of traffic. Cops recognize this, that is why (and I assume they visited the mto link , they do not ticket until above 120Km/h. Cops Mike, cops figured it out! Imagine that

Circumstances make all the difference. Can we think of other examples like the one above? Of course we can - we smart. Work with me here Nile. There are a lot of stops on the speedometer up to the 250Km/h carnage you predict. Pick one that makes sense

Three. Then , you used the "us" pronoun, covering yourself in the mantle of all Rennlisters, something you, yourself repudiated just a few short posting back in this same thread. Polar maybe? Only if you answer nice

Four. Finally, the last recourse of those without recourse: not enough posts: 116 in two years!!!!
Should I comment on that cheap shot? Like taking candy from...Nile13 Four, Mike, Four! In a paragraph. Some kind of record

Again, sorry for the long winded response - maybe there's a lesson here, maybe I'm being vindictive, maybe a bit of both. Race you to the next stoplight?? Just kidding
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting back on topic here....993s..... Although you already own a 993, has anyone notice how mesmerized they become by the shape of the car when you see one on the street?

The last time I saw a 993 on the street, I followed it for miles just gawking at it. Beautiful shape. And I already own mine for years. This probably explained the behavior of the CX90 driver more than anything else.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

One. You determined my location is Toronto and considered my comment about foregoing my radar detector to deduce that I am breaking the law. Sarcastic comments followed imbued by a swelling feeling of superiority. Awesome! Weaved The Economist in that as well - swipe at the elitist nature. Very Cool. Who's the man? You Da Man!!
Sarcasm, my dear friend, is often lost on the internet. So you saw the comment as sarcastic, but failed to take is as such. That happens.

Now let's see how you steer next, autocross experience and all: I, much like Alex I guess, split my time between Europe and Canada, my second residence being in Bucharest and frequently drive in Europe (are radar detectors legal in Bucharest???? –
Oh yeah! - jumped a bit to quickly to the wrong conclusion??? Naaah, not you. ). So you have a choice: admit you were presumptuous and think twice in the future, or follow your instincts and march on: decisions, decisions - life is just one big cross-road.
See "sarcasm" above. Very much in line with what you were saying. Because i did like your comments.

So... are radar detectors illegal in Bucharest? And what are speeding fines there nowadays? Same $2 as before? I'll tell you a horrible secret. I also split time between US and Europe, although not in thr last three years. But I've lived there full time in 2006-2007 so realities are not completely lost on me.

Two. You sent me a link to the letter of the law. But ask yourself if it makes sense first. I submit to you that sometime 30 is dangerous while 100 is not. Going 100 km/h - speed limit on the 401, in Canada will have over 50% of the cars pass you.
Again, I hope you understand that it was a joke. I don't expect you not to know what fast is or to read the Ontario driver's handbook to answer this question.

If we, however, get a bit more serious for a second, I think each of us knows what "fast" is and what "too fast" is. I got into racing 19 years ago and into autocrossing full-time 12 years ago because I spun my mid-engined car on a street a few times. Scary as it was, nobody else was around, thankfully, to learn what snap oversteer really means. So "too fast' to me today is much slower than it was back then even though I can actually control the car much better. And, oh, I don't get into races with CX-9s because of that.

That is more dangerous than going with the flow of traffic. Cops recognize this, that is why (and I assume they visited the mto link , they do not ticket until above 120Km/h. Cops Mike, cops figured it out! Imagine that
No, not really. They figured that their radars and our speedometers are not calibrated well enough to withstand court challenges

I'm sure you've driven on Autobahn with unlimited speeds. The difference between fast and slow cars is easily 80kmh, right? So it's not about flow of traffic, i think it's about lane discipline and general understanding of consequences, that's all.

Circumstances make all the difference. Can we think of other examples like the one above? Of course we can - we smart. Work with me here Nile. There are a lot of stops on the speedometer up to the 250Km/h carnage you predict. Pick one that makes sense
I pick one with CX-9 "weaving in and out of traffic". Is that a good one? Let me know.

Three. Then , you used the "us" pronoun, covering yourself in the mantle of all Rennlisters, something you, yourself repudiated just a few short posting back in this same thread. Polar maybe? Only if you answer nice
Show me where, please. Please leave the demagoguery to Mr. Obama. "Some of us drive fast" as in "some of us drive fast on the track where it belongs" is "covering yourself in the mantle of all Rennlisters"? Ummm... don't make me search for URLs on English grammar. And, while you're at it, look up the penalties for practicing psychiatry without a license.

Four. Finally, the last recourse of those without recourse: not enough posts: 116 in two years!!!!
Should I comment on that cheap shot? Like taking candy from...Nile13 Four, Mike, Four! In a paragraph. Some kind of record
keep posting. At some point the quantity is bound to transform to quality. Maybe.

Again, sorry for the long winded response - maybe there's a lesson here, maybe I'm being vindictive, maybe a bit of both. Race you to the next stoplight?? Just kidding
Keep 'em coming. They are, if nothing else, entertaining
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a member of Rennlist for 10 years (has it really been that long?).
I come and go and have always felt welcomed when I get back involved.

I don't avoid confrontation but don't welcome it either. I always though this site was about the cars (and the people).

We all have bad days and strong opinions about things. I just think the opinions should be about the cars not how people conduct their lives. There are plenty of web forums outside Rennlist for that.

My message for what it's worth is simple - let's move past the anger and angst in this thread and get back to the cars - because heck they are alot of fun no matter how you decide to drive them
Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

"In your great contributions to this forum of 2 years and 116 posts you got all of us figured out"

see the "us" Nile13? you're welcome/

with apologies to my fellow Rennlisters I am trying to resist the temptation, really I am. But with only 117 posts--oops 118 now, I just don't know any better. I need help
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What "is" fast?
Well it depends on what the defination of "is"...is! -Bill Clinton
Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

"I never had a street race with that car, Mazda CX-7" (c) Bill "Pinocchio" Clinton.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nile13, Mike, I do not make it a habit to pointedly answer specific posts to prove a point, but in this case I cannot resist, so let me apologize in advance for my transgression

Shoulda' left it alone after the first post. Now I see you are just like the rest of us.

Quick Reply: 993 vs. mazda cx9??