Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter projects 2012 – S/C installation, Interior rebuild etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Juha. Im sure like my LiNK G4 your idle can easily be adjusted via the software. I was curious as to the intake temps. I have the same filter (but mounted further back in the car) but I cannot replicate anywhere near ambient after 5 minutes idle. The heat soak alone from the engine seems to send the IAT up through the roof. The lowest I can get is 2 degrees above ambient after a fast run with air circulating the engine bay. This is with the rear lid closed of course. I clearly need to re position my filter. Another project....
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
It works like a charm now. At idle I'm seeing +20*C (with the original pump and filter location it was +40*C) and on the road I could only get the IAT up to a maximum of +38*C. (with original setup +55*C).

So it is safe to say that relocating the filter and upgrading the pump definately helped. Now we have to wait until Saturday to see how it works on the track.
I ran the new setup at track about two weeks ago and did not get good enough results. And here is what I think is causing it:

At street with sudden ”bursts” the system works well.
At steady speed the IAT is 10*C over the ambient.
When on boost it quickly rises to 30-40*C over ambient and then when let off the gas, it cools back to ambient +10*C within 30seconds.

The problem at track is that I am not doing sudden bursts (and letting the liquid cool in between the bursts) but I am instead almost all the time on full boost.
What ends up happening is that the cooler up front is not adequate to cool down the liquid which is carrying the heat transferred by the IC from the intake and as a result the liquid heats up.
When the deltaT (between the liquid and the intake air) becomes very narrow, the IC is not able to transfer the heat out of the intake air into the liquid and results in deteriorated cooling effect.
This is obvious even by just feeling with your hand; after street driving the IC is cool to the touch but after track work (even when engine turned off and SC not creating anymore heat) the IC is very hot. It means the liquid inside is hot too.

This could be improved with a more effective cooler(s) up front but until what point? Next bottleneck will be the IC itself…

I think it is safe to say that this IC system works very well on a street car but it is almost useless at track.
Actually on the street it is even better than an air/air IC as it cools down the intake (and keeps the IC cool) even when idling at a stop light (because the liquid is still running around in the system).

I should be getting the GT2RS air/air intercoolers any day now so stay tuned!!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Marc,

The part # is: BM-TW80-140
I think it is the same as FB-TW80-140P in your link. (it is with plastic top and that is the same size, length 140mm, diameter 150mm, pipe diameter 80mm).
Ah - thanks.

That is the same one I bought.

Looking forwards to the a-a IC results....

Marc
Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem at track is that I am not doing sudden bursts (and letting the liquid cool in between the bursts) but I am instead almost all the time on full boost!!
This is exactly what I found too - I could be on boost for 1/2 a lap then have to back off to let things cool off (which it did very quickly).

I found typically the difference between AI temp and water temp was pretty steady at 40*C but the AI still rose to close to 180*C on boost for any length of time regardless.

Marc
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

After serving me for 2 track seasons (only a handful of trackdays though), the further developed, well working supercharger setup is on it's way back to US.

As a conclusion I would like to summarise the TPC kit and it's installation as follows:

1. Not true plug and play, but very easy for any competent mechanic
2. I don't like the 7th injector piggypack system, hence went with Motec and bigger injectors.
3. Don't buy it without intercooler, unless you plan only to do sudden bursts with it.
4. If you track it, don't bother with the TPC water/air intercooler. It doesn't work. On the other hand, on the street it is perfectly fine.
5. If you track the car, do install a proper air/air intercooler. I used 2pcs 997.2 GT2RS/turbo intecoolers. For this you need the GT2 tailbase. You might be able to fit one IC under a smaller tailbase like the RS3.8.
6. According to shipping weights, the IC setup is abt. 35kg. Deduct abt. 15kg that will be removed for the installation, the net gain is 20kg. Not bad for +100hp and gobs of torque.

Information on the intercooler setup I used:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-cooling.html
Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

After serving me for 2 track seasons (only a handful of trackdays though), the further developed, well working supercharger setup is on it's way back to US.

As a conclusion I would like to summarise the TPC kit and it's installation as follows:

1. Not true plug and play, but very easy for any competent mechanic
2. I don't like the 7th injector piggypack system, hence went with Motec and bigger injectors.
3. Don't buy it without intercooler, unless you plan only to do sudden bursts with it.
4. If you track it, don't bother with the TPC water/air intercooler. It doesn't work. On the other hand, on the street it is perfectly fine.
5. If you track the car, do install a proper air/air intercooler. I used 2pcs 997.2 GT2RS/turbo intecoolers. For this you need the GT2 tailbase. You might be able to fit one IC under a smaller tailbase like the RS3.8.
6. According to shipping weights, the IC setup is abt. 35kg. Deduct abt. 15kg that will be removed for the installation, the net gain is 20kg. Not bad for +100hp and gobs of torque.
[/url]

I pretty much concur with your findings Juha. The only point I would like to add is that one of the features of the 7th injector that you overlook is the effect it also has on charge temperature. Injecting the fuel mist into the centre of the manifold may not be truly accurate, cylinder to cylinder, but by using an overly rich mixture it contributes to the air cooling by virtue of the latent heat of the fuel. As I said, not truly scientific but it helps, that's why Mike (Levitas, TPC) has chosen to stick with this set up for so long.

That said, I still do not recommend the conversion for track use but if the customer demands it I would always choose to conventionally intercool the intake, run at less boost (to reduce temperature increase) and fuel it with 6 injectors + Motec whenever sustained performance is required.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

I bought an early 996 C2 throttle body which is 74mm, which is 30% larger in flow area than the non-vr 65mm 993 TB as suggested by TPC.
For reference late 964 and 993nVr single throttle bodies are 68mm diameter, hence your flow area increase is just over 18%. These single throttle bodies can be enlarged to 70mm with a re-bore and new throttle plate which is conveniently the same size as the hole in the centre section of the nVr manifold.

Quick Reply: Winter projects 2012 – S/C installation, Interior rebuild etc.