Sold the Targa!! So now what???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Sold the Targa!! So now what???

After almost 10 years of Targa ownership, lots of learnings and tribulations, and a fair amount of victories, I decided that I really needed a change, so I decided a good first step would be to sell my Targa in order to become free to make some choices, and have cash in my pocket to execute on those choices.

Well, the Targa never even made it to the open market. My daughter's friend's Dad, who has driven an 81SC for the last 19 years, has been calling my Targa "his" car for years, and always asked to be first up when I decided to sell. Well, it all happened pretty quick, I decided to sell and offered it to him for a few days exclusively....and we managed to pound out a deal that both of us are happy with. Price has been set, deposit has been received, and we will move forward with the rest of the transaction in early September (which means technically I still own a P-car!). (BTW, I kept the RUF's for the next car!).

So that leave me Porsche-less for the first time in 18 years. Funny feeling, but exciting too since it opens some doors.

So, what's next?

I just attended the annual Canada West Porsche weekend, and it was a good opportunity to look at other cars (like 993's, 996's, 997's, Cayman's, GT3's, etc.).

996's are out, both NA and Turbo. Sorry, not for me, I need shape.

I like 997's, but they are big cars, and problematic to service. I do like their shape, but are also still a bit isolated from the road and lack the feel I love.

Had a fleeing idea of a 356 or 550 replica, but I like to use the 911's to go to work and around town, and those cars would be more problematic.

Then I thought about it some more, and thought what would the car that I would love to have for the next ten year round? - and the 993 Twin Turbo just kept coming to mind. Talked to the wife, and she is supportive, even if it goes against her grain to spend that kind of money on any car, never mind a 15 year old vehicle. (What a wife!!!).

So, I think the hunt is on. I have a few leads already, but if you guys see something, please sent it my way (yes, I have talked to dwfporsche). I am no rush since I need to close the Targa deal (other than mental impatience), but here are a few criteria just in case:

Exterior Color: Not Black nor Silver. Have done them both, have the tee-shirts. Really like Arena Red, darker Blues, Greys, etc.
Interior: Black preferred. Light colors look nice, but I tend to track a lot of dirt in, so I will dirty that up in no time.
Options: No chipping, no boost controllers, just stock Mam. PSS-9's would be good., updated oil lines to the turbos.
Accidents: None
Mileage: Wow, 40-50K miles would be nice but not likely at my price point, but if 60K or more then some key maintenance should be done (like rebuilt Turbo's).
Price range =<$60K

There are a few examples around right now which I am looking at, but Fall is also approaching and others deals will come up as well ... and I will be in the position to offer cash.

Anyways, that is where I am....

Cheers,

Mike (Porscheless in Vancouver).
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a light in the sky , the PCar Workshop emergency beacon

It was worse than I feared...
Mike without a 993 -- the horror

Rennlisters to the rescue!
I'll keep my eyes open for what you're looking for, Mike.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep an eye out as well. I will just have to remember which mikej to respond to as there is a new mikej on the forum, but his name is in lower case so that should help.

Hope you had a great rip to Canada West! Give me a call when things settle down.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover
I saw a light in the sky , the P-Car Workshop emergency beacon

It was worse than I feared...
Mike without a 993 -- the horror

Rennlisters to the rescue!
I'll keep my eyes open for what you're looking for, Mike.
LOL! That was pretty funny...you made my day, thanks!!

Mike (still smiling in Vancouver)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Congratulation Mike .

I know the feeling about selling a car that has brought you plenty smiles every time you saw it .
I just drop off BluByU at the shipper this last Friday and it is going in a container for a sailing over seas .
I am already lurking around the wide world web for my next
mistress .
Thankfully I still have one other 993 till I get back into a threesome .

Cheers Guy
Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Seems a shame you won't look at the 996 Turbo. $/hp they're unbeatable, and as I understand it the motor is based on the M64 case.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-29-2011, 01:59 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Mike. I would encourage you to look closely at a 997 GT3.1. They aren't that hard to service (I'm sure you can handle it) and are simply amazing to drive. While I like the 993TT, the 997GT3 is more communicative - more like a 993 NA with more power and better turn in. Plus it's lighter than the TT.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

LOL! That was pretty funny...you made my day, thanks!!

Mike (still smiling in Vancouver)
Mike-- You've done a lot for Rennlist. ^^ It's the least I can do for you.

Besides the wealth of knowledge on pCarWorkshop.com,
I have you to thank for my license plate placement in my Turbo front bumper, which may have since inspired others

Hopefully RL can help keep a permanent smile on your face when you find your Turbo!
Originally Posted by tommyg

Jäger...

What, if any, modification was necessary to affix front license plate on the grill of the euro bumper on your speedster?

Looking to do the same. Thanks

Nod of appreciation goes to Mike J & Robin Sun for pcarworkshop.com, & p-car.com, respectively.

Besides his web site, Mike's been an inspiration in another area critical for those of us making an effort to be legal...
Originally Posted by BSL
interested in seeing/hearing how you mounted your front plate. I still have to do that for mine, and really like your solution.
My state requires a front plate, so I've studied Mike J's repeatedly. Instead of cutting edges, I folded, then covered with clearbra. [Caveat: possible that bottom should ideally be >12 inches above ground, & face shouldn't be angled. ...Add that to your endless mod list.]

Regarding air flow, no negative aspect, IMHO. IIRC, neither oil cooler nor A/C compressor are impacted in the center.
Thanks for an attractive option, Mike!

Porsche vanity plate: Posted ~a year ago on 911uk.com's "Number plate fixing" thread by our good man, Graham:

Originally Posted by grahampm

I like the way the 'infamous' 993 Speedster has its plate mounted.

Shouldn't cause any issues - just fabricate a couple of brackets to attach to the lower grill a make sure the plate is at 90 degrees to the ground.
Graham
Originally Posted by NineMeister

snapped after valeting

Originally Posted by RP993

Follow-up from the "Front License Plate" thread:

Tommy-- looks like you purposefully mounted your plate tangential to the ground?
IIRC, that would appease laws of some jurisdictions.
Originally Posted by tommyg

Curve...yes, I am trying to comply with NJDMV, somewhat...while simultaneously preserving the natural beauty of an unmolested turbo bumper full frontal. A closer view:

Originally Posted by MarkD
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan V
Seems a shame you won't look at the 996 Turbo. $/hp they're unbeatable, and as I understand it the motor is based on the M64 case.
Yeah, but I just cannot get past their shape - even the turbos. I have driven them, really really quick, almost too fast, and they do not have the same engine issues as the NA 996, but their styling is just a snore-fest. Too slim for me, and those headlights - don't even get me started. Not for me!

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JM993
Congrats Mike. I would encourage you to look closely at a 997 GT3.1. They aren't that hard to service (I'm sure you can handle it) and are simply amazing to drive. While I like the 993TT, the 997GT3 is more communicative - more like a 993 NA with more power and better turn in. Plus it's lighter than the TT.

Cheers,
Joe
You DID notice I mentioned I had a budget, right?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by briefescape
Congratulation Mike .

I know the feeling about selling a car that has brought you plenty smiles every time you saw it .
I just drop off BluByU at the shipper this last Friday and it is going in a container for a sailing over seas .
I am already lurking around the wide world web for my next
mistress .
Thankfully I still have one other 993 till I get back into a threesome .

Cheers Guy
Good news Guy! Now, no buying the same car again!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
You DID notice I mentioned I had a budget, right?
Ah, what's an extra $20K when you're spending north of $50K on a car?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

40%?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has their top price point. As Mike said that's another 40%, if he's like me that $50K budget should really be $45K and your stretching it to $50K.
I've been getting the itch to get something newer (more HP).
The cars I thinking about are the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3.1.
The price delta is about $20K. The 996 is about $55K and the 997 $75K.
When I'm in a 996 GT3 I love the car, but on the outside only like it from some angles, also some colors look better on the car better than others.
The 997 is a very pretty car but much larger and lots more money.
The 993 twin is a great car; holds it's value, very pretty and still with has the HP to have fun with.
Mongrelcat showed a pic of a Caymen R, great car, but the $80k you spent today will be $40k in 4 or 5 years. If your looking more of a daily then the Caymen
is also a good choice, but does not have the soul of a twin.
It's hard to beat a 993 twin.
Good luck with the hunt, it's one of the things I love the most this hobby.

Cheers,
Geoff

Quick Reply: Sold the Targa!! So now what???