Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Was turbo front bumper ever a C2 option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

x50type and dpowell, it's deja vu all over again. Seems like we've had this discussion before.

That is not a turbo front bumper nor a Turbo S rear wing in the photos of x50type's AeroKit II.

However, I have seen pictures of dpowell's AeroKit 2 on his NB and he does have a turbo front bumper and Turbo S wing, as he said.

I don't think we ever resolved this contradiction much less the option codes.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi dpowell

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this confusing issue.

Do you know if your car came with US turbo bumper (bumperettes and no turbo S air ducts)
- Aero Kit 1B rockers (which are really skirts)
- Turbo S rear spoiler from the factory or were they fitted by PO?

What is noted on your under hood label?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by dpowell
My 1996 NB Aero Kit 2 built in Jan of 96 came with...
- US turbo bumper (bumperettes and no turbo S air ducts)
- Turbo S rear spoiler
X50type says his also is OE Aero Kit 2 on a NB, but his has splitters rather than a Turbo front bumper. (not sure about tail), but that might be different, too Did the Aero Kit 2 for a NB change configurations from year to year?

EDIT: Since the X61 code refers to the front treatment as "spoilers", could it be refering to the spoilers that X50type posted and a previous owner had changed it out to a Turbo bumper? Seems that the code would have said "Turbo bumper" instead of "spoiler".

Last edited by jimbo3; 07-05-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo3
^^^Thanks, X. That seems to confirm that Turbo front bumper covers were not available from the factory either separately or with any of the aero kits on NB cars. Correct?
Originally Posted by x50type
Jimbo3

No, not correct - see above pix.
Picture shows standard NB (non-turbo) front bumper with spoilers.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely an option, albeit dealer installed, not from factory on a C2. I have the 993 hard back option/accessory book, and it is listed, as is the split grille and other things like air ducts, etc. The text specifically describes these things as available at the dealer for installation...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

^^^That explains (I think) why two cars can have the same code on the factory sticker, but end up with different pieces. It's possible (probable?) that Dpowell's front bumper looked like X's car when it left the factory, but the dealer added the Turbo bumper before delivering to original owner, correct?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
The Porsche Tequipment brochure states that the Aero Kit II can be fitted by the factory or the dealer, so that resolves that.
Now the "Aero Kit II" comes with the turbo front bumper (and one part front spoiler) and turbo S rear spoiler and no side skirts.

The "Aero Kit I" comes with a two-part spoiler below the front apron and a rear bi-plane spoiler (simular to the turbo-S spoiler, but not the same as the turbo S spoiler) this is for NB cars

Side skirts are a seperate option to the "Aero Kit I" or "Aero Kit II".

Then there was the "Aerokit Turbo" option for NB cars, that came with the turbo bumper and standard turbo rear wing.

Now in saying all this Porsche were willing to add any option on their "M" list if you were willing to pay for it, and it did have to fit, including painting a 993 any colour you wanted, if you were willing to pay for it.

The information above was taken directly from the Three different year, Porsche Exclusive & Tequipment Brochures/Booklets I have.

I have a C2 with the turbo front bumper and the turbo S spoiler, but I have been unable to discover if this was fitted by the factory or dealer, it is not on the ID sticker under the bonnet. I did not own the car from new, although there is no wiring or console switch for the standard rear spoiler.

There was a special C2 993 released in the US and Japan that came standard with the Aero Kit II fitted, not sure what this was called but it is noted in a couple of 993 books I have.

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Neil Perry, that is how I understood the two Aero Kits to be. In a previous thread I told x50type I thought he had what I had known as the Aero Kit 1B on his NB, but was not 100% sure.

I had always thought the Aero Kit II was for WBs only, hence no need for sideskirts, but you are telling me that it was available for NBs, too. Interesting.

Jimbo3, dpowell's turbo bumper IIRC also had the Turbo S front spoiler, which may account for the "spoiler" reference for the X61 code.
EDIT: My bad. I found the previous thread and from the pictures it looks like dpowell does NOT have the Turbo S front spoiler like I thought I remembered. Nevermind.

At least it appears that the OP got his question answered.

Last edited by 97_993C2; 07-06-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy Huh!

Sorry guys -

Aero kit I, Aero kit II, Aero kit 1B, NB, WB, WB Turbo, Tequipment, C of A, Factory installed, Dealer installed, Under Hood Label.

All I know is that my C of A from Porsche NA says, "Aero Kit II, Spoilers/Rockers. The original window sticker lists 13 non standard items with the prices - including Aero Kit II, Spoilers Rockers.

So i'm still lost.

Last edited by x50type; 07-06-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
x50type, I have the same issues with my car is it factory fitted, is it dealer fitted, I would like to know, but at the end of the day, the information is what it is and I just don't care, I enjoy my car just the way I want it and just the way it is, if your car is as you want it, than that's all that matters.

These issues are one of the positives of the 993, part hand made and all sorts of variences that's what makes the 993 what it is.

You don't have these issues with the 996, 997's as they are full production line cars..............

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Hi Neil,

It's turned into quite a conundrum, and, as you say - we enjoy our cars just the way they are.

i was hoping dpowell could throw some light on the subject when i asked. "Do you know if your car came with US turbo bumper (bumperettes and no turbo S air ducts)
- Turbo S rear spoiler from the factory or were they fitted by PO?
What is noted on your under hood label?
"

Agree, the variances make the 993 unique and a really great car.
i have a 996 Turbo [x50] but my 993C4 is my first choice.

Happy driving.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi X50type,

I have mentioned a number of times, I have some documentation that there was a special version of the 993 NB realased in the US and Japan where the NB came with the Aerokit II, that is front turbo bumper and turbo S spoiler, but no extra air ducts at the front of the rear guards, interestingly that is what my car has in Australia, but this was not a version avaliable here, but you could order the Aero kit II option as per the Tequipment.

I have a friend that has a 997 and once he went for a drive in my 993, he wanted to swap, this was not going to happen.

Happy driving our 993's
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi All,
I have another can of worms-
It states in the Porsche Tequipment book- quote that "All aerokits and spoilers have been aerodynamically tested in Porsche's wind tunnel. Please note that to maintain the dynamic stability of the car, front or rear spoilers must not be fitted seperatly"

Then how is that if C2S and C4S have the front turbo bumper, that gives more down force, but no rear spoiler, whats the story?
Then that being the case the turbo models come with the rear spoiler, but if the C2S and C4S is right that makes the turbo balance wrong.

Yes, I know the front bumper is not a spoiler, but it is designed to give more down force,
but Porsche add the spoiler on the back of the turbo with no extra down force over the C2 and C4.
Can anyone answer that?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dpowell
It was actually part of the Aero Kit 2 package. I have it on my 1996 NB. The option on my order for that part was X71 as part of the kit. I don't believe it was orderable by itself.
There isnt actually an Aero Kit II listed, there are Aero Kit 1, Aero Kit 1B, Aero Kit turbo and Aero Kit Turbo II

The areo kit turbo is for narrow body cars, this has the turbo front bumper and rear spoiler in it. No other kit has a bumper in it.

Quick Reply: Was turbo front bumper ever a C2 option?