Sponsored by:

Any 993 Rennlisters from Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT9111
was there a reason why the PO converted it to RWD? interested in a 993TT?
There is usually one main reason and that is to save weight. Another could be a purist's desire for more steering feel?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys

How difficult is it to find reasonably priced covered storeage space (read garage perhaps) ideally with power in Hong Kong. I live in Tin Hau, and do not mind storing the car a little way away. The main thing is for me to be able to work on it.

Advice appreciated...... Berni

Last edited by berni29; 10-13-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Chris - nice to see you back online mate. Hope all is well in HK. Have you had the chance to get back to Aus recently?

Berni - no idea where you might find a place like that. It would have to be someones private driveway. Or a place in the new territories.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Deriffic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Terence_lai
Let's go for a Sunday morning drive and breakfast...
I am OK, but prefer as early as possible (say 8am).
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Deriffic
Advanced

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi Guys

How difficult is it to find reasonably priced covered storeage space (read garage perhaps) ideally with power in Hong Kong. I live in Tin Hau, and do not mind storing the car a little way away. The main thing is for me to be able to work on it.

Advice appreciated...... Berni
You will definitely need a real garage. But that will be quite difficult in Hong Kong as most people are living in apartment / building. Those who live in a house will probably have more than 1 car. Even if there is, it can be quite costly. Maybe some old buildings in the mid-level ?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garage space with power and wrenching space is a challenge...I looked for one a few years ago. Unlikely you will find what you want in a apt building or parking lot...may need to go to an industrial area.

I'd be up for a drive...haven't been on one in a long time but heading out of town starting next week (subscribing to this thread )
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Deriffic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Terence_lai
Let's go for a Sunday morning drive and breakfast...
Hi Guys, just to see if tomorrow's Sunday morning drive is still on ? If confirmed, please pm me a time & place. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
TargaTango
Racer

I take it that there is no drive Sunday morning 16th as there are no details as to time and place. Pity. Until next time.

Ken, Nice to be back. When you are in HK next and you have time, give me a call & let's lay some rubber and have a breakfast. I am very much enjoying your supercharger project thread. Very nice project. You will have a great ride when it is finished. Unfortunately I never get to Perth otherwise I would come knocking on your door to experience that beautiful engine.

All the best,
Old 10-15-2011, 01:20 PM
p993enthusiast
Racer

let's wait till David is back in town. I personally prefer a lateish start say 745am @ IFC on a Sat or Sun. we can then drive into Shek O for brekky and chat.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Deriffic
Advanced

Yeah, hopefully we will have one soon. Today turns out the be nice and dry. Would have been a good day for the run.

How often do you drive your car ? Since a year ago, I barely put about 1,200 km on it.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:34 AM
doridori
Instructor

I am currently in LA but I may be moving back to HK in a year or two. If I move back to HK, I would like to bring my 993 C2S back to HK. May someone advise me the logistic of doing it?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Unfortunately it's generally not possible to register a left hand drive car in HK, so you are better off picking one up here when you arrive
Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doridori
I am currently in LA but I may be moving back to HK in a year or two. If I move back to HK, I would like to bring my 993 C2S back to HK. May someone advise me the logistic of doing it?

Thanks
As Alan posted above unfortunately it will be almost impossible to register the car and they only way you could drive it would be on T-plates. If you will likely be moving permanently then you're better off selling it while in the U.S.

The major problem with getting a 993 in HK is that there are fewer and fewer of them around, especially widebodies and especially 6-speeds. 6 speeds in general have become fairly rare. You could consider trying to find a right hand drive car that someone had already imported into the U.S. and then bringing that over. Most likely that will be a Euro-spec and might even be priced lower than what your car would sell for given the limited appeal to U.S. buyers.

David
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
TargaTango
Racer

David,

Any problems with getting a foreign car registered in HK? Someone told me that when a car is first registered in HK it must meet the current polution standards, something a 993 would fail. Not sure if this is true or not but it should be checked out prior to bringing a car over.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

From my very limited understanding of the import rules you....

Have to have owned the car for at least 6 months in your domicile before import (if personal import).
Pay tax @ 40% rising to over 100% on the price you paid for the car, less 25%pa depreciation from when you registered it.
Have to pass an inspection.
MAY have to take the emissions and noise test, but could be exempt if you have owned the car for over 6 months in your home country. The emissions test is to Euro 2004 standard so a problem for a 993 I guess.

If you want to import the car and not use it then all of the above can be ignored.

Berni

Quick Reply: Any 993 Rennlisters from Hong Kong?