Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mike J's 6th Annual pcarworkshop Shop Day and BBQ - July 16th, 2011

Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, it was a great day, minus the November weather, & 2 rear brake lines that didn't want to be removed from the car.

Sorry to all for being on the lift most of the day, who would have thought 8 little nuts would be such a ROYAL PITA, even with the proper tools. Sorry for me getting a bit pissed off with the out process & outcome.

Mike, thanks for your help, & for the use of your lift. The "Grill Master" did a wonderful job on the burgers! Everyone else it was fun hanging out, & great to see everyone again. I LOVE the fact that even with one of the WORST weekends of the year, most people come out for at least a bit.

Tim, thanks for the beer & pizza! It was great hanging out till 1am, then driving back to Deans house in the worst downpour I have ever had the car in. We stopped to get gas & the lot was a huge puddle, it went over the hood of the car! At one point we had 6 993's in the drive way.

Sadly, I didn't even take my camera out of the camera bag. My drive home was uneventful, other then rain, & very, very, very slow drivers. I passed on cop going about 75mph in a 70, flying past all other cars, I think he gunned me a few time just to make sure I wasn't going faster.

We're going to do a engine detail day down here, hopefully the sun will be out, because we can't all fit in my garage.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Mike it was great to see you again, no worries about hogging the lift, there was not a large queue this year.

But hey, at least your brakes appear to still be working!!

Perhaps someone can suggest a better solution to getting those little 11mm flare nuts off the rubber brake lines, especially the rear ones. Short of removing the hard lines from the splitter beside the tranny, they are really hard to get to and to get a good purchase on, and on cars that have never had them off, virtually welded together. Any hints? We tried lots of things, but we did not use heat, although we could have.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Great pics.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hey Mike it was great to see you again, no worries about hogging the lift, there was not a large queue this year.

But hey, at least your brakes appear to still be working!!

Perhaps someone can suggest a better solution to getting those little 11mm flare nuts off the rubber brake lines, especially the rear ones. Short of removing the hard lines from the splitter beside the tranny, they are really hard to get to and to get a good purchase on, and on cars that have never had them off, virtually welded together. Any hints? We tried lots of things, but we did not use heat, although we could have.

Cheers,

Mike
Yes, brake lines and bleeders can be a PITA.

I usually clean the flare nut thread with a small wire brush and soak them a few times with Liquid-Wrench or Moove-It a day before and during the attempt to crack them open.
Heat hasn't worked for me.

If the lines are going to be replaced anyway, I cut the line off right by the nut and then use a 6-point socket instead of a flare nut wrench. 6-point, not 12-point to prevent rounding off. More penetrating oil and counter-hold.

Because the lines, nuts and bleeder nipples can be seriously rusted in, I make it a habit to clean and oil them every time the wheels are off. I crack the bleeder nipples open briefly to keep them from rusting. (And no, air will not enter the system unless the laws of hydraulics & gravity have changed lately). I also exercise the caliper pistons by pushing the pads back and use the pedal to bring them back out 2-3 times.

The above has served me well on many different vehicles for decades and prevent frustration.

Nice garage and lift, Mike. I'm too far away otherwise a seafoam green 993 might have competed for attention with those nice red, silver and black beauties.

Maybe we'll see some of you on the upcoming Kootenay Tour starting from Vancouver this Saturday, the 23rd, organized by Al.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mike J's 6th Annual pcarworkshop Shop Day and BBQ - July 16th, 2011