Sponsored by:

To cat or not to catalytic ??? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Default To cat or not to catalytic ??? Please help

Hi everyone. I need to order a set of bypass x pipes or sport cats from Fabspeed. I currently have 45K miles on my 996 C4S and this is the first time I am replacing this part of the exhaust. I have BB mufflers and want your guys opinion for my 911.

I live adjacent to Seattle so it rains a lot and I enjoy taking the pig out in the wet. I have read that the change in temperature can distort the metal in your exhaust and do not want to have to replace my cats if I decide to go that route. I may consider ceramic coating the cats to avoid this problem.

If I decide to go with bypass pipes, I will purchase the extender/spacers to aviod the C.E.L. issue and prepare for my neighbors hating me more.

I use the car as a DD and will do anywhere from 4-7 DE events per year. My main goal is to avoid future problems with the reliability of my vehicle but a more open exhaust and half the price of sport cats also is appealing.

All comments and insight appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong in saying this, but w/o cats, wouldn't the CEL come on? I would assume the pre/post-cat O2 sensors would throw off fault codes and eventually the CEL.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Originally Posted by bavarian06
I may be wrong in saying this, but w/o cats, wouldn't the CEL come on? I would assume the pre/post-cat O2 sensors would throw off fault codes and eventually the CEL.
"Optional 02 spacers available to keep C.E.L. off. $150/set when purchased with catbypass pipes."

I pulled that off of here: http://www.fabspeed.com/996_GT3.html
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by oMenRC51
Hi everyone. I need to order a set of bypass x pipes or sport cats from Fabspeed. I currently have 45K miles on my 996 C4S and this is the first time I am replacing this part of the exhaust. I have BB mufflers and want your guys opinion for my 911.

I live adjacent to Seattle so it rains a lot and I enjoy taking the pig out in the wet. I have read that the change in temperature can distort the metal in your exhaust and do not want to have to replace my cats if I decide to go that route. I may consider ceramic coating the cats to avoid this problem.

If I decide to go with bypass pipes, I will purchase the extender/spacers to aviod the C.E.L. issue and prepare for my neighbors hating me more.

I use the car as a DD and will do anywhere from 4-7 DE events per year. My main goal is to avoid future problems with the reliability of my vehicle but a more open exhaust and half the price of sport cats also is appealing.

All comments and insight appreciated. Thank you.
Hows the resonance with the B&B mufflers? I have never seen or herd of anyone having their cat warp in our climate. It takes about 30min to swap out the entire cat pipe & swap the mufflers.

You can get the Fabspeed kit that has both cats & straight pipes. The O2 spacers work about 1/2 the time, on most cars. So I would expect a CEL some times.

While not cheap, I can tell you the fit, finish & quality of the DACH X-pipes (cat & non-cat) are incredible!! Lighter, better flow, & fit perfect. I did have mine ceramic coated, along with the mufflers. That was mostly due to keep the heat down around the bumper & rear tires.

I you want a little more HP & never worry about SMOG test, or CELS get the Dach cat pipe & be done with it.

If you ever want to see/hear my C4S, let me know, it sounds AWESOME!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default SEA TAC

You guys need to get together.

I haver the Fabspeed X pipes and 200 cell cats on my 993...very pleased with fit, finish and performance.

Chris at DACH gets rave reviews...he builds to order so if you want instant gratification, you may have to suck it up until he gets them built for you.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the DACH X-pipe w/ sport cats, and I am very happy with it. With no cats, your car will stink and probably have visible smoke. That, and the potential for CEL, I wouldn't do it. I passed CA smog w/ flying colors with the sport cats, and I don't have to swap pipes to get the smog check while running illegally the rest of the time.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I know I am likely to get kicked in the nuts for this, but I would vote to have at least sport cats on the car....I like the air that I breath, and I doubt if the power difference, if any, is butt detectable.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 months after I got my '95 off the showroom floor I had to have B&B mufflers.
Lasted a month before the droning got to me, took them off.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile B&B

I had my car 3 mos and the B&B installed by PO had to go. I didn't know how bad they were until I took them off. This was back in 2000.....damn I have had my car a long time...no plans to sell "Baby" either!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I have converted a few B&B sets to Stage IIIs.....dare I say they sound a whole lot better now

I too think stock or sport cats are better for a street car as opposed to no cats.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
timabe
Instructor

I have the Fabspeed x-pipe and sport cats. On track days I pull the cats, insert the straight pipes, and have my fun. I've noticed it takes a few laps for the ECU to adjust after the cats are pulled. When track day is over, I put the cats back in. Best of both worlds

FWIW, my butt dyno feels a clear difference when the straight pipes are in and I'm on the track. Off the track, I don't really feel any difference at all (except for the additional noise). I really prefer the sport cats for the street. The straight pipes are noisy, a little smokey, and don't add much value for normal street driving.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Originally Posted by oMenRC51
"Optional 02 spacers available to keep C.E.L. off. $150/set when purchased with catbypass pipes."

I pulled that off of here: http://www.fabspeed.com/996_GT3.html
honestly dont see how these spacers would work. but guess you can try it.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

op what are you new?

This is the 993 section for real P-cars
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Thank you everyone. I do not experience much drone from my BBs and I am pleased with the exhaust note. I may just go with headers and sport cats to avoid any "complications".

Kie-Find me a 993 that I would like, and I will buy it. I will eventually have a track dedicated PCar so keep me in your sites.

More opinions on please. I will have to pull the trigger within the next day or so. DE Pacific Raceways on 07/13 is around the corner.

Thank you everyone again for chiming in.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

I just called the local PCar dealer and my warranty is still good! Thanks for the help fellas. I will prolly have my cats ceramic coated to avoid future issues...

Now its time to order some PSS10s

Quick Reply: To cat or not to catalytic ??? Please help