993 Forum 1995-1998

PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
I posted a thread before, saying that would it be worth it buying a 996 GT3 instead of modding the 993. But if I get a GT3 it will be a slippery slope again with the possibility of a 4l kit, suspension upgrades etc. So I think I would have spent much much more on the GT3 with the mods that I would do to it.

Besides, air cooled is where its at right? The uniqueness of an air cooled engine pumping out nice HP on a excellent soundtrack will be intoxicating.
A 4L 993 is infinitely more cool than an 996 GT3. 996s are horrible to look at and sit in whilst the 993 is a design icon and a thing of true beauty with the air cooled lineage and sound track.

My 993 RS and GT2 stay, and my 997GT3 is for sale which shows my opinion on this subject, the GT3 I enjoy, the 993s I love.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
She will run very GOOD after you've sorted her out Camlob.
All those parts look very tasty.
Yep - air cooled forever.
Thanks for the encouragement. Great minds think alike. LOL.....
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by YearOne
A 4L 993 is infinitely more cool than an 996 GT3. 996s are horrible to look at and sit in whilst the 993 is a design icon and a thing of true beauty with the air cooled lineage and sound track.

My 993 RS and GT2 stay, and my 997GT3 is for sale which shows my opinion on this subject, the GT3 I enjoy, the 993s I love.
Wow! Really wow. Now your recommendation comes from direct "hand-on" experience. I always, always wanted a 997 GT3. Now I am totally encouraged by your statement. You have a greater mind! LOL....
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 AM
camlob
Pro

Here are pics of the porting job done by Takeda-San. We are scheduled to dyno on Thu next week. Hopefully, lady-luck will be on my side. LOL....

A pic of the bowl area from the valve seat.

The 3 stooges!

Last edited by camlob; 08-14-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Paul,

Any updates?

Cheers
Old 09-03-2011, 06:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Paul,

Any updates?

Cheers
Hi M. I missed your post since I have been busy lately. The install went smoothly except for some silly mistakes. Since the tuner had to leave for Japan, I had to inquire on the safe AFRs with Clewett before I proceeded with the break-in. Car was actually done since last Mon.

So I just picked up the car and just came from a 120km drive. Wow, the car, even at the current tune, is amazing. I am sure you all know and read on other 4l ITB engines, but to drive one is totally a different experience. The torque is very generous and makes my old E39 M5 feel slow! If you recall, before I bought the 993, I was concerned that I would miss the torque of the M5. But not now!

I think it greatly surpasses the 232hp/ton that the M5 had. The car feels so light now, that is the combination of the hp and the JICs.

It totally transformed the car. The LWF and the increased displacement makes revving it so easy. My rev limit is still at 6.5k and will increase it to 7.5k. Still deciding on whether to stretch it to 7.8k.

The shop forgot to install the Wevo engine mounts, arghhh, and the trans mounts. I will have it done when I install my recaro's with another mechanic.

Now I regret buying a CF hood! Cant back out since my friend made the mould already. With the way the car is, I dont need to loose weight anymore. But I guess Ill have to honor my commitment.

I will shoot a vid. I just ordered a camera mount.

I am scheduling a dyno tune on Mon. You know, even without the dyno tune on Mon, I am already happy the way its running! The induction noise also is amazing. My brother who drove it today, comparing it to his 997 GT3 RS, says that his car lacks the nice noise! So now I convinced him to do the same to his widebody 964. He is contacting Geoffrey at Racetech for a motec kit for the meantime.

So my next moves will be to sort out my suspension geometry. The shops corner weighing scale was broken so I couldnt do that. Ill also probably order a rear sway bar.

And maybe big reds in the future. Ill get endless pads in the meantime or some other decent pad. Cant afford the big reds at this point in time!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Camlob!

Are you experiencing any in-cabin fuel smell? How loud is the engine at cruising speed on the highway?

p.s. an in-car video would be great!!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
Congratulations Camlob!

Are you experiencing any in-cabin fuel smell? How loud is the engine at cruising speed on the highway?

p.s. an in-car video would be great!!
Hi N. No in-cabin fuel smell. Engine on cruise at the highway is not loud at all. Only when you floor it does it make nice noise. Whats strange is my car sounds totally different, although with the same exhausts and headers. It just sounds mean.

Maybe its the higher cr. I got 11.5 pistons. But in no way does the sound irritating. If you have a drilled airbox then you know what I mean.

Just like Colin said earlier, he would put ITBs on his new car. But its the overall package that will make the car enjoyable. The 4l kit and a cam would be my first choice if I had limited funds. A SW chip would work fine in that combination. But if you have the funds, get the ITBs as well.

Now I understand that John D made the right recomm when he said to go with the DC 43 - 112. My tuner said it was too mild. But after driving it around town, the car feels at the edge already. More even than a GT3. So in a sense, with the power its making, the cam is perfect for me. No regrets in getting a bigger one.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Sounds great!! .

I remain very interested in ITBs, mostly as they would allow me to use more aggressive cams, but I have been hesitant do to potential drivability, noise, fuel smell issues, etc. (note the "potential").

Most recently, the Rothsport low butterfly ITBs with a GT3-type plenum or airbox really caught my eye:

http://rothsport.com/Products/Engine...-Butterfly.htm

Allows for aggressive cams for high RPM HP, yet helps enhance low-end torque, reduces engine noise and eliminates fuel smell. I guess a potential downside could be reduced air velocity from the low butterflies?

What an expensive hobby!!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 AM
camlob
Pro

Sounds great!! .

I remain very interested in ITBs, mostly as they would allow me to use more aggressive cams, but I have been hesitant do to potential drivability, noise, fuel smell issues, etc. (note the "potential").

Most recently, the Rothsport low butterfly ITBs with a GT3-type plenum or airbox really caught my eye:

http://rothsport.com/Products/Engine...-Butterfly.htm

Allows for aggressive cams for high RPM HP, yet helps enhance low-end torque, reduces engine noise and eliminates fuel smell. I guess a potential downside could be reduced air velocity from the low butterflies?

What an expensive hobby!!
That kit would be perfect for you in terms of noise induction. Saw somewhere in Excellence about a guy doing a similar set-up but with a 996 manifold. I think Rothsport took into account the flow characteristics with their manifold. But definitely 9M would be in a better position to comment.

How much is the kit?

Well we live only once so might as well enjoy it. Some guys buy ferraris and GT3 RS's. So lavish yourself with some enjoyment! LOL.....
Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Nickmysta
Racer

I believe the kit sells for ~$5,000. This would include everything but the ECU (fuel rails, ITBs, plenum, etc.).
Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM
camlob
Pro

I believe the kit sells for ~$5,000. This would include everything but the ECU (fuel rails, ITBs, plenum, etc.).
Sounds about right. When you say plenum, that is the intake manifold with the air cleaner right? So actually reasonable priced.

Am having my cam timing checked again because no hp is being made at 7k rpm. The japanese tuner didnt follow John D specs so maybe thats why I cant rev that high.

But its making power that I am happy with already. I just want to make use of the pauter rods.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Camlob. Its sounds absolutely great.

I just got back from spending a few days street tuning and trialing my set up. It sure is sweet. Although it doesn't make as much power as yours (we settled on around 308 PS and 270 lbft) it is now super responsive to the throttle and the increase in torque right the way across the rev range is very noticeable necessitating the need for a higher hear come in an out of favorite corners. Overall the car was a few seconds faster on my favorite stretch of road. The PSS10s have been dialed in and tuned wonderfully with the adjustable sway bars and the factory LSD.. The car now has a level of compliance on the road it never had with the HDs and handles so sure footedly. Overall the handling is now sublime with a nice torqey engine which loves to scream. There is some smallerr fine tuning to the programming to do (cold idle and air con idle) but overall Im very happy. The car is now lowered to the low end of RS spec. Its looking pretty aggressive. I wont take up any more of your thread time but will post results and pictures on my other thread some time this week....

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

M
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Camlob. Its sounds absolutely great.

I just got back from spending a few days street tuning and trialing my set up. It sure is sweet. Although it doesn't make as much power as yours (we settled on around 308 PS and 270 lbft) it is now super responsive to the throttle and the increase in torque right the way across the rev range is very noticeable necessitating the need for a higher hear come in an out of favorite corners. Overall the car was a few seconds faster on my favorite stretch of road. The PSS10s have been dialed in and tuned wonderfully with the adjustable sway bars and the factory LSD.. The car now has a level of compliance on the road it never had with the HDs and handles so sure footedly. Overall the handling is now sublime with a nice torqey engine which loves to scream. There is some smallerr fine tuning to the programming to do (cold idle and air con idle) but overall Im very happy. The car is now lowered to the low end of RS spec. Its looking pretty aggressive. I wont take up any more of your thread time but will post results and pictures on my other thread some time this week....

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

M
Hi M nice to hear the happy ending. Did you put GT2 uprights to lower to RS spec? What sway bars do you have? Thinking of getting FVD for the rears.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Camlob.

I have Porsche factory adjustable sway bars and drop links front and rear. The rear sub frame mounts are 993GT2 billet alloy (this made a big difference to rear handling stability under load when I installed these 18 months ago). The A- arms have fresh Warlord bushes and the front tie rods are pinned (again makes the steering much sharper). Front height settings are now 120mm and rears are 107mm. This is in line with the 124/107 +/- 10mm factory RS settings. Toe and castor settings are also within the specification range as is rake.

I have included some pictures from a number of angles taken after a 50km high speed run but before the fast road trials. The car has roughly 3/4 tank of fuel at this stage.

In the fast road work "bump steer" was noticed on 2 occasions only. You must remember this was a road with 25-55kmph marked corners and hair-pins frequently at 2X their marked speed! The road was bitumen chip seal surfaced, negatively cambered, 22km long with 7 one way bridges and 9 hairpin bends. Its a country road like many you find in this country and has large undulations, massive surface variants, generally speaking a very uneven surface with many large fluctuations during speed especially over bridge/road expansion joints. Over the years myself and others have found this an idea route to push metal to the limit as its very lightly trafficked (on a Sunday the farmers have a day off!).

Overall I was very happy with the results. The car never rubbed front nor rear fenders even when provoked with high speed "dips". with bump steer only being detected twice over this very demanding course, driven aggressively I do not feel it necessary to spend $2500 usd on front uprights and new tie rods to remedy this as its unlikely I will encounter it in my general road driving. However if the car was regularly used on a track i would say it would be worth considering - or lifting the front nose up a little.

Settings for the PSS10 were 4 front 5 rear with front RS sway bar set middle of 5 holes and rear sway bar set first hole (firmest) to counter under steer from 40/65 LSD. These settings seemed to work fine.

The ECU is set up for 98 RON and with the 993SS cam runs up to RWTQ 32lbft above factory across the rev range with a noticeable lift in performance between 3500-4750 rpm and 5000-6500 rpm. This coincides well with the shift points taken on these twisty type roads. It sounds pretty awesome too - there's a clip of it on the regional forum threads before the engine work was done...its got a different pitch now (higher idle, more cammy, more mechanical - solid lifter etc) but its still loud enough. When I got the car rev limit was set over 7000 rpm. I have changed the programming to put a stop in at 6800. The power has peaked by then. Its characteristics seem perfect for tight twisty road work - which is the bulk of the fun driving around these parts.....

I hope that helps with info others may find useful.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Macca; 09-08-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc