Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mecca ^ your car is awesome! Love the up grades!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi M! Your stance is perfect. So maybe I should try RS height. Or a little above it. So bump steer isnt an issue. Yeah, spending over $2k for uprights for a street car aint worth it. Pls let me know if you are selling your rims! I still recall when I was buying my 993, your car induced me to do it.

I just got some data pts for rev limits. I am not going to adjust my cam timing anymore. It seems that if I follow Johns cam timing specs, it will further advance it, thus transfer hp towards the low or mid range of the curve. I spoke to John and said adjusting my intake from 111 degrees to 115 will have a minimal effect.

So my tuner was right. I need a bigger cam. A DC 62 with 304 duration is next. But I will enjoy the car first. I am making now 295 whp which roughly translates to around 347 to 350 hp. I am down 55 whp from a 997 GT3 RS. Its so hard to match my bros GT3 RS performance! Maybe a extreme cyclinder(or 9M) head and the DC 62 cam. Or maybe I just have to stop and take a breather. LOL....

With regards to shift pts, my tuner advised me to extend the rev limit to 7.5k! Despite the peak hp at 6.7k. I got confused and asked around, posted in Pelican in the rebuilding forum. So my tuner was right. Even if you have reached peak hp, and power drops, when you shift at a higher rpm, you will be getting the high end of the torque curve. There is a formula, torque pt x gear ratio. I asked which torque pt? Is it the highest pt in the torque curve? Is it the torque level? But general rule of thumb, is to shift 500 rpm after the hp peaks in the dyno. So with me, its 6.7k so 7.2k will be my shift pt. My internals can take it.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Camlob and Mark. Appreciate the positive comments. In November we will finish the final detailing, some small tweaks and get the car in the studio where it can be properly photographed. I font have a great camera nor patience to groom the car and get the best pictures. I have a few little finishing touches which help finish it off.

Yes I see no issues going RS height 124/107mm. To be quite honest thats still fairly conservative for these cars depending on the application. The 993 Cup cars were a tonne more aggressive than this but then they did have the uprights and different tie rods. I think there are plenty of folk on this board using RS specs with standard uprights without any noticeable depreciation of performance. Ive attached one further picture to give you and idea of height. Its so hard to compare by pictures as I found because different offset wheels and tires make the wheels look different in the arches.

Your power output looks good. Would love to see the dyno graphs for rwhp and torque if you have them. Mine show 274 rwhp so using your TCF then 324 bhp. I think yours make sense as you have ITB and 4.0l with a more aggressive cam. 350 bhp flywheel is about what I would have expected with this conversion. Its the Torque that yours will make the biggest gains in I suspect. Mine topped out about 241 rwlbft at 5750 rpm. Im expecting yours was 265lbft or north?

Im sure you can get more performance if you spend more money on that engine. However my advice to you is to get in it and start living with it. I think once youve spent 6-12 months putting on 5-10k km youll understand exactly what you want out of it next. Once mine is finished in November I intend to do just that!

Good information on the shift points. Mine power peaks at 6050 rpm. I set the limiter at 6800 rpm so plenty of room. The great thing with your and my ECU is you just plug in and change using a laptop. Im having so much fun wit that software - its really intuitive and amazing what parameters you can adjust - however Ive locked down all the ignition and timing and fueling maps as Im not touching those!!!

Most of all enjoy your new creation! Its taken me years to tune my machine to precisely how I want it, both in terms of handling precision, engine sound and performance, interior design and balance and exterior cosmetics and optics. then there are the small things like silver hood, airbag and wheel crests and all the little finer details. Weight saving was also a target and we did get to 1300kg but that was with 1/5th tank of gas which isnt a fair measurement! 1320kg with 1/2 tank equivalent. Ive manage to get in around 8000km of development kms over the last two years during the modification process in order to understand the changes better. There is still a little fettling to do with cold idle and idle under load but those are small things I can attempt with the laptop and some cold start mornings at my own leisure....

Keep us across developments. She will be looking pretty amazing when you finish for sure!
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 AM
camlob
Pro

Just got the car, finely tuned with the raised rev limit to 7.3k. Yes, my tuner was right, despite the drop-off in peak hp at 6.7k, the car is faster because of the shift pts. When you shift, you are within the peak hp curve, so you dont need to wait too long to hit peak hp. As others may call it, revving within cam. I will be raising my rev limit to 7.5k.

The car feels real solid now. I am thinking of how the DC 62 cam will feel! Its so easy to spin the rear wheels now so a guards lsd is definitely in the cards in the near term.

I just lowered the front end which is slightly higher than Macca's car. I put in neg 1.5 degrees in camber on all four corners. So the car turns much much better than before.

I will upload a vid once I get my camera mount.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Camlob, remember peak horsepower is nice on the track with lots of room for WOT especially in combination with closely matched gears....

....achieving this on a N/A non-variocam ROAD car by installing 'race' cams can make the experience far less enjoyable in real life situations where a broad powerband is king.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by evoderby
Hi Camlob, remember peak horsepower is nice on the track with lots of room for WOT especially in combination with closely matched gears....

....achieving this on a N/A non-variocam ROAD car by installing 'race' cams can make the experience far less enjoyable in real life situations where a broad powerband is king.
Yeah thats why I am still mulling the idea. I suspect 9M uses a much bigger cam than a RSR profile. Of course its a trade secret but its just my hunch. For $800(add the gaskets etc), the DC 62 is very tempting.

Looking at 9Ms black RSR dyno, shows a lot of torque. John D says that it will loose some torque but with correct cam timing, it will be minimal.

Right now, that can wait
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
camlob
Pro

Took a trip yesterday to some twisties to drop off my wife and kid. Since it was break-in time, they were comfortable. Lol...

Here are some pics..

This is the PLX gauge that gives me the reading of the two banks for their AFRs. Ill show a vid of it working. I was thinking of making a housing and mounting at the top of the dash ala 997.

Last edited by camlob; 09-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice.
When are you dynoing the car camlob?
Can't wait to see what HP and TQ figures you get with your modification.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Nice.
When are you dynoing the car camlob?
Can't wait to see what HP and TQ figures you get with your modification.
Already dynoed. Getting the sheet today via email. The printer was down at the shop. I was thinking of just posting a vid flooring it. Posting dyno sheets might cause a dyno sheet war! LOL....
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 AM
993polartip
Advanced

Great to know she is finally running issue free and that you are enjoying the car. Looks like a great project inside and out. Well done, hope to see and hear that bad boy soon!

cheers

raffy
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

camlob.

Love the optics. The stance looks just right (what measurements did you use front and rear from the suspension pick up points in the end?). The yellow lens covers are brave but I like them! The rear wheels could get a deeper dish if you wished. I like the "911 4.0" logo - nice detail. How did the car handle in the shake down?

Cheers
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
camlob.

Love the optics. The stance looks just right (what measurements did you use front and rear from the suspension pick up points in the end?). The yellow lens covers are brave but I like them! The rear wheels could get a deeper dish if you wished. I like the "911 4.0" logo - nice detail. How did the car handle in the shake down?

Cheers
The measurements for the stance was just really from eyeballing other cars, like yours. No strict measurements used. Yes, I would prefer deeper dish wheels. Maybe when I go RSR wheel flares! Ha.ha...

Car handled good. Settings are more on the stiff side. But I noticed that I need wider wheels bec of the extra hp. Easier to get off balanced with the wheels I have on. So if I change wheels, it will be much wider, something like 18x11 with very low et's. Of course the flare kit would then be needed.

Speedlines would be the preferred style.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
camlob
Pro

So here are my dynos. Just remember its the gain from where I came from. As Colin stated earlier, its the gain from your previous reading. Some of your dynos read higher. Just as a point of reference, the dyno I used put out a GT3 RS at 350rwhp.

If you want to compare, post dyno nos of other cars in your dyno to show us how your dyno reads compared to others. No use in just showing your dyno nos without some comparison.

If you noticed, I gained a lot from my original stock nos. Hence, my butt dyno is content and happy. I cant compare with the RS nos because of the limitations of my head. My cam too is also mild. So more hp equals more money. But at this stage, I am content in using and enjoying for a while

Stock dyno nos.

Torque lbs ---------------------- RWHP

213 ------------------------------ 223 (Stock)

230 ------------------------------ 267 (With ITBs and DC 43 -112 cam)

255 ------------------------------ 295.6 (with 4l kit, and DC 43 -112 cam etc)

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

That's a nice power increase. Did you expect less or more?
What's the car like to drive now?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd loose some serious sleep being that close to the magic 300hp mark;-)

Quick Reply: PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc