Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch discontinued 993 Headlight Lenses. We have sets on the shelf!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
94410540903 porsche 944 2.7 '89 intake, 165.29 euros/pc EU TAX included porsche part and package
94410541800 porsche 944 2.7 '89 exhaust, 140.00 euros/pc EU TAX included porsche part and package
in stock, if you need let me know
regards
That is 2000 dollars for a full set of valves! HOLY COW! Most 89 944s aren't even worth that. WOW!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

I hope you ordered them from the ALPS, they are in stock 64 euros a piece in Porsche box today,
nothing intended against you Brad, at the contrary, but checked yesterday with factory, so EU guys don't panic. regards
I don't take any offense to this. If they are in Europe at 64 euros each, that is still 93 dollars at current exchange. Plus shipping from Europe kills the deal, and would probably cost someone over here more than our kit shipped.

Thanks though!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
FWIW, I called around a bit yesterday, one side seems to be in stock at several places, the other side is rarer and can't be ordered anymore. I was able to get a pair from Automotion for $71 apiece (their price was $89, but I asked them to match the $61 price from AutoHaus AZ, which they wouldn't do because it indicates as a special order item on their site, they came down to $71, though). It did say low stock at Automotion, so not sure how many they still have.
Tried the same thing when calling Automotion...the nice man said there was nothing he could do since they were on backorder. Ordered the left from Automotion (89 + ship) and Right from AZ 61.00 (free shipping)....they were out of the left. Total cost with shipping 167.
Both Bosch btw.

Mine are not that bad now...I may save these and sell them on e Bay in a few years at a nice profit when they are rare. (not to a RL'r thought!)
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fwiw, I took the yellowing plastic lens out but then painted it black and put it back in...
Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

I hope you ordered them from the ALPS, they are in stock 64 euros a piece in Porsche box today,
nothing intended against you Brad, at the contrary, but checked yesterday with factory, so EU guys don't panic. regards
Do I interpret this right that this is mainly a problem for U.S. customers? That there will still be possible to order the headlight lenses separately for the foreseeable future in Europe?

If the headlight lens are the same as we use in Europe, then why not order the lenses from dealers in Europe? The freight cost and tax may scare them of but it should still be cheaper than to buy the whole headlight assembly. Or maybe the headlight assembly is not that expensive in the US as in Europe?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
Do I interpret this right that this is mainly a problem for U.S. customers? That there will still be possible to order the headlight lenses separately for the foreseeable future in Europe?

If the headlight lens are the same as we use in Europe, then why not order the lenses from dealers in Europe? The freight cost and tax may scare them of but it should still be cheaper than to buy the whole headlight assembly. Or maybe the headlight assembly is not that expensive in the US as in Europe?
Just curious but are the lens' different for those that drive on the "wrong" side of the road? If they are, I imagine there is much less demand for them than there is for the "normal" lens'.

Just doin' what my wife says I do best, stirring up trouble.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Just curious but are the lens' different for those that drive on the "wrong" side of the road? If they are, I imagine there is much less demand for them than there is for the "normal" lens'.

Just doin' what my wife says I do best, stirring up trouble.
Well PET shows different part #'s for the ROW lenses...hmmm.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Do not take my word on this

You can adjust the headlamp, depending on whether you drive in the right or left side of the road. I think the headlight lenses are identical in the UK as in the rest of Europe and probably worldwide.

I have a faint memory that it says that you can adjust the headlamp in the manual.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FisterD
Well PET shows different part #'s for the ROW lenses...hmmm.
This is true. I suppose you could sub in the ROW lenses, but I don't know if they are DOT certified.

YMMV...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
Do not take my word on this

You can adjust the headlamp, depending on whether you drive in the right or left side of the road. I think the headlight lenses are identical in the UK as in the rest of Europe and probably worldwide.

I have a faint memory that it says that you can adjust the headlamp in the manual.
Without having the manual handy, I would say no and yes
Left hand cars - the beam is horizontal for each headlight, then in the middle of the car, the beam goes up @ 25 ~ 30 degrees to the right.
Right hand cars - it is horizontal and up to the left.

The yes part, is that I cross loads of British plated RHD cars in Paris, and all have special cut stickers on their lenses.
On the 993 lens, there is like a Trapezoid in the bottom outlined that you should cover with a sticker for momentarily swapping lanes
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

The lens are the same for LHD and RHD, the USA spec ones have a small addition piece of clear plastic in the bottom (hence the different part #), a crescent shape, buggered if I know what it does. The ROW version does not have this, I have fitted USA spec ones on ROW cars with no problems at all, I see no reason it wont work the other way too. In the UK Bosch ones are £50 Porsche ones are £80 not the end of the world in price difference, whats the dealer price of a USA Porsche one?

The headlight units are different LHD and RHD, you can move the beam inside the headlight to make them just legal if you are using RHD ones and driving on the right and visa versa, they only make the beam go straight ahead, they are not changing them to the opposite side, its just a temporary feature used when abroad, there is no need to put stickers on the headlight lens!!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
T In the UK Bosch ones are £50 Porsche ones are £80 not the end of the world in price difference, whats the dealer price of a USA Porsche one?
The price is about the same as what you have listed (about 156 per lens), the only problem is that they are both discontinued and the lefts are NLA at the dealers. Getting hard to come by.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Ok, buy Euro ones.........they work fine!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts
Default look what came today...

called Automotion on 4/11/11, I think they answered the phone Performance. Lenses were both out of stock, on backorder. They matched the $71 a piece price, and guaranteed me that price would be honored when new stock was acquired.

I had completely forgot about it, jotted down a note here somewhere to look for the original contact info, but never found it. Come home tonite, big box on the doorstep.

One oem Porsche, one Bosch. Price of $71 each honored, $20 S&H..$164 to the door. They'll go up in the garage rafters for now.

It was a good day.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

seems suncoast has them for $120 a piece if anybody is desperate.

Quick Reply: Bosch discontinued 993 Headlight Lenses. We have sets on the shelf!