Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

cab top microswitch adjustment

Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default cab top microswitch adjustment

Before flaming me, yes I tried search and could not find the answer to my question.

My cab top generally opens and closes fine but when closing, the motor does not stop after the latches appear to be fully engaged and the warning light does not go off. I have gleened that the fix is adjusting the microswitches. Ok, so fellow rennlisters, how hard is it to do this, where are the microswitches, how do I access them, and what is entailed in adjusting them. Pics would be ever so helpful.

Last edited by inkatouring; 04-06-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: so what I wrote made sense -- at least more than when I first wrote it.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Micro switches are in the rotating arm gear behind the passenger seat.

You would need to remove the carpet cover where the rear speaker sits. You'll see 2 micro switches that activate when the top is fully retracted and the other when the top is closed.

Sorry that I don't have a picture handy, but it will be very visible to you once you remove the side carpet panel and have access to the gear.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
jmiller10012
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Frankly, I'm not sure that this is a microswitch adjusting issue. I just had one of my front motors replaced two weekends ago by Porsche Stevens Creek for exactly the same symptoms. I was convinced it was a microswitch adjustment problem, but it was a broken motor. I would have done it myself, but the car was under warranty.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you have the cab top locking motor recall done?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPS
Did you have the cab top locking motor recall done?
Yes, all recalls present and accounted for.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll try the micros this weekend (or maybe evening) and proceed to motor if that's not it (although the motor works fine other than the latching....).
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

are you saying the rear motor is still running after the front 2 motors have run and fully locked down the front frame?
or that the front latch motors are still running?

anyway, remove the panel beside the passenger rear seat. the transmission micro switches are on the outside of the round black transmission. before you loosen the screws to adjust, get a tiny flat screw driver and push the micro switch, you should be able to hear it click to engage the button.
if the switches are already engaging at full down and full up the problem is elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by k722070
are you saying the rear motor is still running after the front 2 motors have run and fully locked down the front frame?
or that the front latch motors are still running?

anyway, remove the panel beside the passenger rear seat. the transmission micro switches are on the outside of the round black transmission. before you loosen the screws to adjust, get a tiny flat screw driver and push the micro switch, you should be able to hear it click to engage the button.
if the switches are already engaging at full down and full up the problem is elsewhere.

Front latch motors, I think. What tells them when to turn off?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Front latch motors, I think. What tells them when to turn off?
I think Jim ^^^^^ may be close to the clue on this.
There is a micro STOP limit switch inside each front motor that is activated by a shaft cam driven by the adjacent worm gear; if the gear teeth are stripped then the cam cannot rotate to activate the micro STOP limit switch
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sean Hamilton
I think Jim ^^^^^ may be close to the clue on this.
There is a micro STOP limit switch inside each front motor that is activated by a shaft cam driven by the adjacent worm gear; if the gear teeth are stripped then the cam cannot rotate to activate the micro STOP limit switch
And that is what it does. Thanks!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
jmiller10012
Intermediate

Sorry, work interfered with my Porsche fun! Inkatouring, I had the exact same symptoms as you - the front right motor continued to run after the top was "closed" and the cab open light on the dash continued to be illuminated. I did, in fact, adjust the microswitches to no avail. I'm willing to bet that it is a motor that is bad for you as well. I found a used one at dC Automotive in Atlanta for approx. $82 - I did not buy this one as I got a new one from the dealer. Sean is spot on with his description of the operation of the motor and the cam btw.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
jmiller10012
Intermediate

Inkatouring - here is the part for the '95: 911.624.117.00, there is one at dC Automotive for $85 http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/152981527.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Well, I ordered the gear for the front motor from vertex and installed it today. Everything works great (other than the gouge in my hand when the screwdriver slipped). The teeth on the old gear were fine, but it had a crack and that, apparently, was enough to cause the problem.

Thanks Sean!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Default cab micro switch Id

i know this is an old post, but I removed the rear side panel on a 95 cab and the micro switches were loose next to the arm.i tightened them up so the lower switch is engaged when the top is lowered, the upper switch is engaged i believe when the top is raised. could some one fill me in as to the function of each switchso I do not mess up an expensive assembly, getting prepared to go to a manual operation,thanks in advance...note up position is to the left
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Default cab micro switch Id

i know this is an old post, but I removed the rear side panel on a 95 cab and the micro switches were loose next to the arm.i tightened them up so the lower switch is engaged when the top is lowered, the upper switch is engaged i believe when the top is raised. could some one fill me in as to the function of each switchso I do not mess up an expensive assembly, getting prepared to go to a manual operation,thanks in advance...note up position is to the left
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
nalukane
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try looking at this thread, it may help. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-replace.html there are two microswitches on either side that activate the latches when closing. Two screws that hold it in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cab top microswitch adjustment