Comfort vs. Sport seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Comfort vs. Sport seats?

Can people compare Standard/Comfort and Sport seats, especially for a daily driver? Even more so, if you have experience with both in a 996/Boxster.

I know the coolness factor and all, but are Sport seats more comfortable than regular seats? Any difference in seating at all other than more side support? How do Sports fare on a long drive of 2+ hours? Other thoughts?

I know the coolness factor and all that jazz. But I'm looking at two pairs of blue 996 seats, Sport pair is twice as expensive as the Standard pair. Trying to decide if it's worth paying extra for Sports seats.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I had regular seats on my 964 and they were pretty comfortable on a long drive, now I have sports seats on the 993 and I did a 4 hour drive recently and they were at least as good - certainly not worse.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts

Sport seats are just as comfortable, but more supportive.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Just spent about 4200 miles in the sport seats...while the factory seats from the past three 993's were more than adequate for daily driving and long hauls, the sport seats do seem to add a level of firmness and comfort. That said, I'm a scrawny runner, 172cm tall and weigh about 65Kg so any level of seat feels pretty comfortable to me. Would be best if you could test run both; you're welcome to take my car out for a run if you want to make the trek up to CT.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find my hard back sports seats very uncomfortable, the fact that on all right hand drive cars that we drive here in the UK, the pedal to seat angle is on the **** doesn't help.......

After a long drive I have an aching back...........I think I'm just becoming a old fart, might be time for an AUDI A5..........Diesel!!!!

Gas here is £1.40 a litre...........it's a problem, it's sad.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The hardbacks in mine, with my back, have allowed me to drive the car for the 10K I've put on it over the past 4 months. I drove a turbo with normal seats a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait to get out of it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the support my sport seats give. In my opinion the are better for longer drives. Plus they have the cool factor going for them as well

Mike
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

My 993tt came with the lumbar option. I bought it in Texas and drove it 1500 miles back to Los Angeles. The lumbar seats were (IMHO) were much more comfortable than the sports seats I swapped them for. However, I don't do long road trips so it isn't a major issue.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Yet again Rennlist is pushing me toward spending more money I'm leaning a bit towards 996 Sport seats too. And I have an aftermarket lumbar that I'll probably be installing.

Academitech, I'm pretty much the same size as you (another cm and another 1kg ). It's all about back comfort, though.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts
Default 996 Experience

Perhaps it would help if you gave us your body stats. I'm a big guy, wide body, 230lbs. and I find the 996 regular seats more comfortable. Until recently I had the 996 Sport Seats in my 993 for most of a year. When I switched them out to the regulars so I could sell them I let out a big sigh of relief the first time I sat back in the regulars again. It made me wonder WTF was I thinking going through all that discomfort for a year just for the coolness factor? I also have the 996 regular seats in supple leather in my TT and I seriously doubt if I put Sport Seats in it even if they were given to me for free. Actually no doubt at all..... I wouldn't do it.

I would imagine they'd be find for anybody having less than a 36" waist and less than 180lbs. but just guessing here.

YMMV
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im with ASH. I think partly due to the offset pedals in RHD cars and I am very sensitive to car seats (siatic nerve) I found the Hrdback Sports seats I have to be no more comfortable that the standard seats. I also found them to be no more supportive. Its hard to compare for me because I changed to sports seats 5 years ago (and have kept the original standard seats which are mint). However having 5 years bum time in each and given the additional cost of HD Sports seats I would honestly say stick with the factory originals. Not only are they just as comfortable and for all practical purposes just as supportive but they are also taller (better head restraint and comfort for us taller drives) and from pratical experience my standard seats were no heavier than the HB Sports seats. Infcat they could have been lighter....

Im now onto Carbon Fibre Recaro style buckets. These are night and day with the two above options. the narrower bases allow better positioning for RHD pedals, the backs are more upright for posture, the sides are way more grippy for support when pushing on and frankly the comfort really isnt any different with a lumbar bainsertmade of hi density foam. They are heaps lighter to boot! I like the but my wife is to try them.

Cheers

M

M
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have hardback sport seats and find they are very comfortable for me, more so if I position the lumbar support pushing into my lower back all the way. I am 6 feet 200lbs with wide shoulders but I slide right into them just fine. Are Sport seats with electric lumbar rare? I thought most would have this. Now if you talk about the seats in my SC, I feel like I'm going to slide into my wife taking left hand turns!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had both type of 993 seats and I like the sport hard back seats for longer trips and around town driving....
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm big, 6ft 250lbs, Sport Seats do me just fine, even after a 8hr long drive.

As stated the comfort seats are the stock seats with more supple leather, IMHO, just don't look right in the 993. They just look, loose & baggy. Like a super model wearing jeans that are 4 sizes to big.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm 5'9" or so and currently at 145lb. So I'm not a large guy and don;t think that fit will be an issue. I'm more curious about comfort as in softness for longer trips, overall support and general DD stuff like getting in and out, etc.

I've had regular Comfort seats (non-supple) and also Recaro Toplines in my cabs. Toplines are very nice, supportive sport seats. But not all that comfortable for a long drive being much harder than Porsche seats, for example.

So the choice is currently between standard seats and hardback sports, both from 996. Sport set is originally from RHD car. I hope it would not present any challenges while installing into LHD car, right?

Oh, what to do, what to do?

PS. I don't think supple leather looks wrong in a 993, btw. I rather like it. But that's subjective.

Quick Reply: Comfort vs. Sport seats?