Sponsored by:

I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbump2
Geez, Quad, if all you want to do is drive around in the left lane at 20mph under the speed limit with your turn signal blinking away, you might as well get yourself a Buick and some white shoes and move to Boca Raton.

--Chuck--

What really gets me, is that most of the people on this thread that want to drive their car at no more than 3K RPM's are Turbo owners.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what about your de days has shown you that the platform is stiff?
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Actually, you go first. What about your driving has shown that the platform is not stiff?
Not sure if you saw this question, Quad.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Geez, Quad, if all you want to do is drive around in the left lane at 20mph under the speed limit with your turn signal blinking away, you might as well get yourself a Buick and some white shoes and move to Boca Raton.

--Chuck--
Geez chuck, you've been on rennlist drives with me...several times. I don't recall me having much difficulty keeping up. Its a good thing we keep to a 20mph speed limit and all have our blinkers on.

Then again, if you read through the thread, I've said between 5 and 10 times that I DO drive the car hard, but am under no impressions that this is somehow good for engine life.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by cabrio993

What really gets me, is that most of the people on this thread that want to drive their car at no more than 3K RPM's are Turbo owners.
Thats because turbos have enough torque that they don't need over 3000rpm just to get moving

Then again, see the above post to realize I do tend to drive above 3000rpm when driving in a spirited manner. In normal around town driving, I do typically shift at 3k to 3500rpm.

Not sure if you saw this question, Quad.
You may win this one, because I don't have any scientific data here. The car is not as flimsy (not by a long shot) as my mustang was, but on bumpy roads, hard corner exit, and steep driveways (being traversed at an angle) you can feel the chassis flex.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
djmojo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is really.........silly
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

You may win this one, because I don't have any scientific data here. The car is not as flimsy (not by a long shot) as my mustang was, but on bumpy roads, hard corner exit, and steep driveways (being traversed at an angle) you can feel the chassis flex.
I have to take my driveway at an angle every time I enter or leave the driveway. Especially when I enter it, my car is facing slightly upward and one of the front wheels is off of the ground. I can tell you that I have never heard my chassis flex under those conditions. The only sound I hear is the satisfying thump as the tire touches down on the concrete. It's been this way before I installed the DAS bar and is certainly even stiffer with the full cage.

I had an '84 VW Rabbit GTI back in the day. Even with an Autopower roll bar in back, that thing seemed slightly whippy to me. I still remember seeing a truck tire tread being flung up from the road and having to make an evasive swerve to the right to avoid it hitting my windshield. As I swerved, I heard something in the car squreak (cross between and squeal and a creak) and immediately thought, "Damn, this car is kinda flexy."

I do think maybe you or your buddies have cars that have been compromised in some way.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez chuck, you've been on rennlist drives with me...several times. I don't recall me having much difficulty keeping up. Its a good thing we keep to a 20mph speed limit and all have our blinkers on.

Then again, if you read through the thread, I've said between 5 and 10 times that I DO drive the car hard, but am under no impressions that this is somehow good for engine life.

I suppose I should have stuck a " " in my original comment so you would know I was just messin' with you.

--Chuck--
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I do think maybe you or your buddies have cars that have been compromised in some way.
Its possible.

I suppose I should have stuck a " " in my original comment so you would know I was just messin' with you.

--Chuck--
fair enough chuck
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If we're moving to chassis flex, I'll throw out that my windshield cracked last Thursday at a mere 25MPH (or less). Severest conditions I've ever seen on I-80, was like driving off road for a bit. But after a couple of minutes of the bucking motion where I even slowed down to a bit off idle in 2nd gear there was the crack.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me like a "quality of life" issue. How many of the non-daily driver cars will ever see 150,000 on the odo? Will "high" RPM of 3K to 4K realistically lead to so much wear to prevent you from going that distance?

On the other hand, the implication of low RPM operation is the possibility of more carbon build-up and SAI-related headaches. So the question is, what do you want to do with your car? Drive it for 150K or drop the engine every 30K but keep the original block "forever?"

Granted that these are extremes and there's a lot more gray in the real world, but you get the idea of the benefits expected by the two camps.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I know it's only February, but I officially nominate this as the Most Useless Waste Of Time Thread Of The Year.

Even though I have no proof.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

well, to be fair, it is only a waste of time if you read it...replying is even more your fault.

I say the fault lies with you my good sir.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did this get past 2 pages?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
How did this get past 2 pages?
apparently it was a topic that illicits many opinions.

Care to add yours?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Quad, hard to believe you're not a member here. Any reason why not?

BTW, I don't really care, I'm just trying to get this waste of time to at least 25 pages...

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this "designed to be driven hard" nonsense