Sponsored by:

References for Deadhead1960

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I always buy an owner. The chance of good owner fully disclosing everything i need to know about a car is infinitely higher. And you need to know as much as you can about a car.
True, but it takes several months of "ownership" before the seller knows the car. On the original white car thread, someone asked if Jay just bought this car in Atlanta. Addressing that question may enhance transparency.

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
And makes a few bucks along the way.
That defines dealer (or "flipper") to me more than an average cars per year metric. I'm just as much of an enthusiast but certainly "lose" money on every car I sell after factoring in only the first few receipts!

Last edited by dcdude; 02-11-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude
True, but it takes several months of "ownership" before the seller knows the car. On the original white car thread, someone asked if Jay just bought this car in Atlanta. Addressing that question may enhance transparency.
This is a great point. The seller can be as honorable as Mother Theresa but if they are buying and selling cars, they only know the car based on what they can initially assume about it via paperwork and inspection. But an equally honorable owner has lived with the car for a while.

Originally Posted by dcdude
That defines dealer (or "flipper") to me more than an average cars per year metric. I'm just as much of an enthusiast but certainly "lose" money on every car I sell after factoring in only the first few receipts!
And another good point, too, that Chuck added in his edit.

If somebody "makes a few bucks along the way" then those few bucks along the way is usually part of the intent in buying and selling.

I've yet to make any money off any car I've ever sold in my life and I don't know of many who have unless they're making a concerted effort to do so (either as a "hobby" or "professionally.")

If I deduct the use value I've had from owning and enjoying a car then I've probably felt okay monetarily with a few resales. But with all the cost and effort and time of ownership, I can honestly say I've never made any money. Car owners buy and sell because their needs change or their desires shift, but never really to make money. They get what they can for the car at any given moment and then move on.

Last edited by Canyon56; 02-11-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Mmm...let me do the math...in 8 years of Porsche ownership...8 Porsches. Hold on...still doing the math. I think that's 1 per year on average...so if 5 per year is the threshold, I'm good to go.

Met with the OP last night for 2+ hours during my layover in Miami. Great guy but not ready to buy anyones Porsche, let alone an air cooled one. In fact up until yesterday he had never driven one.

I have no idea of how many cars you have or have not sold, merely providing information for the group.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
rp911
Advanced

But how many of those eight were in the last year? Just a fast search of posts started since joining a year ago reveals at least 5 Porsches for sale or sold, bunch of rims and other parts (tails, headlights). White 86 C2, yellow 993 cab, blue 993 C2S, 993 C4, 993 C2 coupe -- and some of those original posts were edited by you down to nothing in the last couple of weeks. And a whole lot of threads about other cars for sale that you found and are pointing out.

Why not be forthcoming -- if you are flipping cars for a hobby, and enjoying owning various Porsches for little or no money, thats okay, but please be truthful about it. Lots of people do it. There is probably a support group for it around here. No one is impugning you that I can see. But otherwise inexperienced buyers may think the car you are selling is your personal Porsche. Big difference in perception. People buy on Rennlist (as I did) because they want a car owned by an enthusiast whose tended to it over a period of time, not someone who picked it up at a good price on craigs list or cars.com and flipped it without getting to know it.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rp911
But how many of those eight were in the last year? Just a fast search of posts started since joining a year ago reveals at least 5 Porsches for sale or sold, bunch of rims and other parts (tails, headlights). White 86 C2, yellow 993 cab, blue 993 C2S, 993 C4, 993 C2 coupe -- and some of those original posts were edited by you down to nothing in the last couple of weeks. And a whole lot of threads about other cars for sale that you found and are pointing out.

Why not be forthcoming -- if you are flipping cars for a hobby, and enjoying owning various Porsches for little or no money, thats okay, but please be truthful about it. Lots of people do it. There is probably a support group for it around here. No one is impugning you that I can see. But otherwise inexperienced buyers may think the car you are selling is your personal Porsche. Big difference in perception. People buy on Rennlist (as I did) because they want a car owned by an enthusiast whose tended to it over a period of time, not someone who picked it up at a good price on craigs list or cars.com and flipped it without getting to know it.
Hmmm.

Andreas
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Hmmm.

Andreas
I'll see your "hmm" and raise you a
Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'll see your "hmm" and raise you a
That's "Hmmm" to you, Mr. Funny Sphere.

Andreas
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Greg964
Pro

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Say what?

You dont say!

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 02-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
The new Rennlist homepage photo.

That is funny!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Art5oh
AutoX

Guys, as the OP, and admitedly 1st time porsche buying fence sitter, I didn't mean to start a controversy.
I had concerns about inconsistencies in what I was told about this car and thought feedback from the board could help qualm my bad gut feeling.

As for dealer or not, I agree with Greg964. Just be up front about it. I don't care if someone is flipping a car. After all, that's what dealers and/or flippers do.

I went back and forth over the two basic opinions expressed here. 1. If you don't trust the person, don't trust the car and 2. All that matters is the PPI. In the end, I passed.

Last edited by Art5oh; 02-12-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

I dont know why people bother mistating facts when a member will eventually do a search and find out different. Happens all the time though. Of course, in their defense most of the time the member can come back with a feeble excuse and most others will believe it. So I guess I just figured it out.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

I have also met Jay and he seemed like a solid guy with a passion for porsches. Regardless of how cool the seller is or how honest he seems, you still need a detailed PPI, and even the best PPI will miss things.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Interestingly enough, it looks like the thread for the white '96 993 in the member-to-member classifieds is now gone.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Art5oh
Guys, as the OP, and admitedly 1st time porsche buying fence sitter, I didn't mean to start a controversy.
I had concerns about inconsistencies in what I was told about this car and thought feedback from the board could help qualm my bad gut feeling.

As for dealer or not, I agree with Greg964. Just be up front about it. I don't care if someone is flipping a car. After all, that's what dealers and/or flippers do.

I went back and forth over the two basic opinions expressed here. 1. If you don't trust the person, don't trust the car and 2. All that matters is the PPI. In the end, I passed.
Smart! Always trust that 'bad gut' feeling. Don't ask about it, trust it! You can never go wrong. You eventually will find the car that you want. Good luck!

Quick Reply: References for Deadhead1960