Sponsored by:

References for Deadhead1960

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rp911
It's been a for-sale fest over on Pelican, too. Eight cars in eight years?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/searc...archid=6377925

What's ironic is had this individual just been upfront about his business (or hobby or whatever), nothing would appear to be shady or untoward. I just don't get it. It's not as if the "private party" values are higher than the dealer values. As others have said, if the car is priced reasonably and checks out on the PPI, who cares?

Curious to know whether anyone who has bought an actual car recalls if the vehicles were ever titled to this person, as in, is he absorbing the costs to transfer the title, register and inspect the cars, pay sales tax in NJ, and so forth. It's hard to make a living as a flipper if you're getting tagged for five percent (or more) on every car you buy to resell. Which is why legitimate dealers pay their bonds, obtain insurance and have to maintain a brick and mortar facility to get their licenses. And why they absorb liabilities like initial warranties in some states, etc., or sale recisions that the private party seller does not have to worry about. And it's why curbstoning is illegal in many states.
Lots of people here have negative connotations regarding car dealers, something that has been addressed in various threads throughout the years. I don't have an issue with dealers, have bought many vehicles, including my 993, from dealers and have had successful, transparent and friendly purchases with dealers on this board. You are absolutely right that this issue might not have been quite as troubling if the person in question had had the integrity to disclose the nature of the business.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Why did it take so much Rennlist pressure for this situation to be ameliorated?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...rear-wing.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...condition.html
Hmmm...Interesting...

I have a feeling he will delete his posts on those threads like he has done in the past with other threads once they are brought up to light...
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Hmmm...Interesting...

I have a feeling he will delete his posts on those threads like he has done in the past with other threads once they are brought up to light...
Fortunately, cabrio, other members have quoted and archived his posts in that thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno... I've bought cars from everywhere and everybody. People I wouldn't mind hanging out with, and people who, after talking to them, I wanted to run home and take a shower. But I've bought a couple of those peoples' cars, after I performed "a laying on of the hands" and saw that it was good . And they turned out to be good cars. All this touchy-feely stuff leads to a lot of subjectivity, which clouds your judgement. At the end of the day, I'm buying the car and not the seller. When I drive away, the seller is gone and I've got the car, for better or worse.

But hey, having said that:
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow... my experience with Jay was quite different

Jay bought a 993 here in NorCal and had us (FD Motorsports) pick it up, drive it to our shop and do a variety of things to it before the truck arrived many weeks later.
The work he had done wasn't what I'd call "dealer" or "flipper" stuff... it was mods. Things that us crazy enthusiast-types do to our 993s
Things you typically don't get your money back on when you sell... 3 spoke wheel, Stage II cans, etc.

My impression is that he buys and sells based on his enthusiasm for these cars, which I can relate to... just a little

Anyhow, he was good to work with throughout the process. That was our experience.

Quick Reply: References for Deadhead1960