993 Forum 1995-1998

Outside detail and paint restore

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside detail and paint restore

I visited one of the two top auto detailers in greater Seattle this afternoon. They suggested a three step process. First, air brushing the "nits" - all the road rash on the front of the car. This is an actual paint process - but instead of repainting the entire front end, they just paint each "nit" one at a time. Estimated cost $300. Second, a full exterior detail. Which is a polish and then a full wax job. Estimated cost $400. Finally, a non 3M clear acryllic strip over the entire front end. They remove the headlights, front light spray nozzles, parking lights, etc. The plastic coating is wrapped inside these openings so no seams show afterwards. Estimated cost $2300.

I'm thinking about it. One possiblity is just do the first two. As I don't tailgate, in my 4 years of ownership, my front end road rash has not gotten any worse. If I do the first two and watch my road manners, perhaps that will last as long as I have the car.

The $2300 seems high to me. It is very labor intensive. The shop did say the plastic coating is designed to be replaced (if needed). You can remove it with a heat gun. The stuff (I played with a sample) appears indesctructible. You can't tear it. You can only cut it. Then you stretch it into place and smooth it out.

Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It seems the $300 to clear all the rash from the front end is a deal. The detail is OK in price, so I agree, do the first two. When you get more rash, do the $300 one again..you can do that almost eight times for the cost of the clear.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Was this @ Metropolitan Detail, or NWAS?

What color is your car? If it's a dark car, you can get the "DR. Color Chip" & fill in all the road rash for $40. It takes about an hour to do the whole front end.

$400 for a complete detail is a good price for our area, this also includes the interior, & engine bay?

My C4 is currently in the body shop (will be picked up on Monday ), the clear bra needs to be redone (body shop remove it to paint), it's going to be about $1,200 to get the front end wrapped properly.

Yes, it is all very labor intensive, the clear bra can take an installer 8-20 hours do to a front end wrap. My C4S has the entire front end wrapped, & it took him about 18 hours. The wrap is almost the same stuff that Porsche uses on the fender flares behind the doors.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

It was Metropolitan. Funny, they told me they're moving to the east side at the same time NWAS is moving to Lynnwood. Wonder if there's any connection between these two moves.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I wish I had the opportunity to pay a high end detailer here in Northern Ohio. Can't find one.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
It was Metropolitan. Funny, they told me they're moving to the east side at the same time NWAS is moving to Lynnwood. Wonder if there's any connection between these two moves.
You can not go wrong with Metro! Benjamin is the best clear bra install guy I have ever seen! He can do an entire 993 front end with out 1 seam!

I know the owners of both shops, great group of guys.

Yea, they got a nice big shop in Bellevue. While the Lynnwood shop is great, there are not a lot of Lambo's & Ferraris in the area, they all come from Bellevue, so they decided to move over there.

NWAS has been working out of a personal car storage/shop. It's kind of tight in there, & they have to move out expensive cars all day to get work done. What they are doing is becoming partnered with Catz Exotics., since he (Roy Catz) just got a big showroom/shop up North.

I'm hoping to have Metro do clear bra on my C4 next week!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Would really like more detail as to exactly what steps the detailer completes in order to fill the "nits." Wonder what he is doing with an "airbrush." And, is he using sand paper in the process at all?

My experience with Dr Color Chip on a black car hasn't been very successful.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Always been curious how the airbrush touch ups work? I did hear they don't last but if you have it wrapped it may preserve it.

Quick Reply: Outside detail and paint restore