Sponsored by:

Holiday Observations about Porsche Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holiday Observations about Porsche Ownership

1. The looks I get when driving around are almost all from younger boys. But my 7 year old granddaughter has figured out that boys like the car - so she likes riding in it with me.
2. Difference between a Porcupine and a Porsche? The Porcupine has the ****** on the outside
3. In one of John Gresham's novels (great writer), the protagonist's girlfriend (a police officer in Homocide) when she sees some macho male driving some exotic or muscle car says to him: "sorry about your small equipment (she used another word in the book - starting with "p"".
4. Fact is none of us really needs a Porsche - it is virtually impossible to drive it as the designers intended it to be (perhaps other than at a track day). Of course driving through Montana (my suggestion for the license plate expression is "the there's nothing there state") at 100 mph (unfortunately in a BMW 3 series - on the way to visit friends in Jackson Hole - the wife refused to take a 1000 mile trip in the 993) did remind me of my youth and driving Autobahns in Germany at speeds approaching 200 kph.
5. The machismo among owners of many high performance cars is unlimited. One "nameless" friend drove his 993 Cup Car off the track at New Hampshire International Raceway - on one of the Porsche club track days. This over $100k car, was a "total" with no insurance because he was using it on the track (this car was and is illegal as a road car - it can't be registered for use on the street). What did this person do? - arranged to ship the car back to Porsche Germany - by air no less, where it was rebuilt (cost over $100k) and flown back to the US in time for the next track day. Conclusion: nice to have more money than brains.
6. The drunk Swede who totalled a borrowed Ferrari Enzo on Pacific Coast Highway in the general area of Malibu - in the middle of the night and simply disappeared into the night. Somehow, Police were able to establish he was driving over 150 mph on this road.
7. Having said all of this, there is something about 911 steering. I liked the non-power assisted cars better than the ones with PS. It's as if your fingertips are skimming across the road surface - with direct and instaneous feedback through your hands. BMW's (some of them) come close. No American car I've ever driven comes close (even Corvettes). Mercedes are numb feeling to me. When I worked in Germany as a student guest worker engineer, I became familiar with their "practicum" and apprenticeship programs. Those going into the metal trades first had to "hand work" the specific material they had chosen for about 6 months - until they knew all the characteristics about the material. It gave them proper prepartion to work with it for the rest of their lives.
Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

FYI, I live not too far from the Enzo crash on PCH. It was early morning and they were able to estimate the speed of the crash due to skid marks and the area and size of the debris field, among other factors.

I think that Porsche/porcupine joke is one of the oldest ones around; I think it was first told as the original pre-356 design was still on paper.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Holiday Observations about Porsche Ownership
6. The drunk Swede who totalled a borrowed Ferrari Enzo on Pacific Coast Highway in the general area of Malibu - in the middle of the night and simply disappeared into the night. Somehow, Police were able to establish he was driving over 150 mph on this road.
Please help me understand how these two are related. I'm vexed.

Andreas
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
"Eggnog". Tasty low calorie high proof eggnog
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Andreas

I think you can get medication for that.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
I think you can get medication for that.
Your thread title, and the content of your thread, fail to make sense. At least to me.

How is Porsche related to Ferrari? Simple question.

Andreas
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Same reason Mike and Nancy have nothing to do with his or his wife's real names? Oh, and the Mustang thing, too. Double

Or....maybe it's
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You make some strange threads.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's dialectic physics."
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

For Mark in Baltimore,Mr. Bonus and Andreas:

There is the 3 body problem in Physics. It is directly related to the 3 duck theory in Psychology and Philsophy:
Physics: When you describe the gravitational attaction between two heavenly bodies, that is not "n" (where "n" is any integer larger than 2). When you describe the gravitational attraction between three heavenly bodies, that also covers the case of "n" (where "n" is any integer larger than 2).

3 duck theory: When one person tells you you're a duck, you can ignore them or choose to listen. When two people tell you you're a duck, you can still ignore them, or you can choose to believe them. When three or more people tell you you're a duck, it does not matter whether you know (inside) you're a swan, ballerina or astranaut. To the world you're a duck. So it's time to learn to swim and quack.

Since all three of you don't seem to understand what I've written or why, I guess it's time for me to re-examine whether I should continue to bother trying.

And Sam N - I suggest serious and non-stop intense analysis - maybe even in Vienna.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam N
"One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's dialectic physics."
I love the smell of live axle in the morning.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 207 Posts

huh?????
Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink #1 (When three people tell you you need a DUCKTAIL...)

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy

3 duck theory: When one tells you you're a duck, you can ignore them. When two tell you you're a duck, you can still ignore them. When three tell you you're a duck, it does not matter. To the world you're a duck. So it's time to learn to swim and quack.
Social experiment, part 1 of 3 ...

Mike-- (who's not Mike)-- I'm telling you: You need a ducktail.

Originally Posted by FisterD

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Originally Posted by future
Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quack

Originally Posted by jackb911
Originally Posted by oMenRC51
Originally Posted by axl911
Originally Posted by mcuozzo