Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues after first short drive ... 993 issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:18 AM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Starting issues after first short drive ... 993 issue?

Hi all!
This 'issue' has been with the car as long as I've owned her , though it crops up rarely as I almost always drive the car for at least 20 mins once starting her , but I was wondering if any of you have noticed the same?

Basically , if I drive the car a short distance (anything up to about 5 mins) and then park up , when I come back to the car I find that it may take more than one attempt to re-start her.
The symptoms are that the car turns over , fires up for a second but then cuts out. On the second start attempt , the engine turns over for a few seconds longer than normal before firing upand may even need a shove on the throttle, not something Porsche recommends I know!

It's certainly not a starter motor issue as this has been changed and turns over with gusto , my gut says either over fuelling (which may be just an issue associated with mid 90's choke technology.. My 90's Civic reacts similarly ..) or a DME issue , though it's been going on quite a while to be a intermittent relay..

Thoughts guys?

Have any of you noticed anything similar with your cars?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not normal and could be a number of things.
Easiest first would be to make sure your foot is off the pedal when you start it.
If not, sounds like a fuel pressure issue.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
shamrock
Racer

Thanks Calvin,
My foot has only gone on the pedal when I felt it was about to die on the subsequent start. It's a definite no no under normal conditions.
I'd wonder why a fuel pressure issue would only come to the fore after the first short run? It's not a battery problem either , the batt is kept conditioned and it gives loads of load to the starter motor on all subsequent starts.
Btw , I've posted this on another forum in the UK , and quite a few responded that they have similar issues, and had assumed (as I did) that it was a 90's engine management foible rather than a fault .. It'd be great if this wasn't the case. I'd like to sort this one.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
dapper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shamrock, I'm one of the UK guys who responded to your post as my car does similar, so interested to hear what it is. I also suspect fuel pressure at this point as my car has one other characteristic that is not normal but is possibly fuel pressure related (a regular pulsing that can be heard more than felt, during driving at constant speed).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like it may be running rich. Try holding down the gas pedal when you start it & are having the issue. It might be a MAF, temp sensor, or maybe time for a new O2.

This is my off the shoulder guess.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same issue and was told by a PM that it was most likely the engine temp sensor.

What I heard.... The sensor has 4 temp zones and one is weak or dead. My winter goal is to replace it.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:38 PM
shamrock
Racer

Thanks for all your replies so far guys .... It seems to be the sort of problem (now that we've figured it's definitely a problem and not something you've to live with!) that could have the poor owner changing out a whole lot of sensors before striking lucky ...
I'm hoping someone will jump in and tell us he's had this problem but sorted it .
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
bucski
AutoX

Hi,
I too saw your post on the UK forum saying that I had the same problem in my early VR C2. Would also love to hear a solution. There was a guy on that forum who said he reckoned he knew what the solution was but did not expand, I did try pming him but no reply.
Would be great if someone here had same problem and sussed the solution.
Cheers
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the ICV?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Did it twice. Mine will start and then does some crazy revving on it's own then pow stall. The strange thing is after I restart... No problems. I think if it was the isv, it would have the same issue on restart.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 AM
shamrock
Racer

I've cleaned my ISV a number of times over the last 3 years .. the difference in 1st gear coasting is huge , but it didn't do anything for this problem...

Shadow , where's this temp sensor located .. Is it in around the airbox ?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
bucski
AutoX

Cleaned my ISV today, thought it was worth a shot and it was an easy job, it was pretty black inside there. Not sure about any difference as can't drive due to all the snow here.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the engine head temp sensor. It's on the rear of the motor and has a black rubber plug over it. The wire coming from it should be white and encased in a plastic sleeve. You'll need a 14mm 12 pt socket that has to be cut down to fit properly.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
shamrock
Racer

Hmmm
That looks like fun to get to!
Is the sensor an expensive piece of kit?

Btw,
Ta for the reply
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

$135 USD

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...%20Sensor.aspx

Quick Reply: Starting issues after first short drive ... 993 issue?