Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m93RS Narrowbody Clubsport - it's finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Colin, can we have a closer look at that shifter when you post more pics. Looks to have slightly larger **** portion but stock looking - very nice.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the car! The non RS stock shifter throws me off a bit. Are you going to put a RS shifter in?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The wheels came on the LHD donor RS, so not being a Speedline junkie I can honestly say that I have not paid a lot of attention to them or spotted a difference, but if I get the chance I'll measure them up next week & let you know.
Originally Posted by Nurburger
Interesting Speedlines... I thought that the RSCS retained the same spec Speedlines (front and rear) as the 'regular' RS.

Don't get me wrong - I love the wider rears.

What are the specs (for those of us who have wheel fetishes...)?

BTW - the car looks stunning!

Now glad that you asked. As mentioned before, the wheels came with the donor car and are actually made in France by Tramont, not Speedlines as originally thought. Sizes are 10x18 ET55 rear and 8.5x18 ET50 front and they are a genuine through bolt split rim.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Love the car! The non RS stock shifter throws me off a bit. Are you going to put a RS shifter in?
Way over budget already due to the number of parts removed that were not good enough to refit, however I have no doubt that the customer will rectify any minor anomalies before too long...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 396 Posts

Can you explain the roof liner in a bit more detail?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 286 Posts

Now glad that you asked. As mentioned before, the wheels came with the donor car and are actually made in France by Tramont, not Speedlines as originally thought. Sizes are 10x18 ET55 rear and 8.5x18 ET50 front and they are a genuine through bolt split rim.
I had a set of Tramonts a while ago & thought that they looked familiar. I was really hoping for you to post that they were an exotic hybrid Speedline spec that was unique.

Regardless, the Tramonts are without doubt the best replica of the speedline rs & only distinguishable by the bolt heads and flat back side of the spokes (and etchings, of course).

The staggered lip is a bonus IMO.

Good luck with the completion & delivery and thanks for letting us watch.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Can you explain the roof liner in a bit more detail?
Not much to explain really.

Take one sheet of alcantara and one pot of glue..... then get stuck in!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 396 Posts

Not much to explain really.

Take one sheet of alcantara and one pot of glue..... then get stuck in!
Ah, I see, Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wheel alignment done, undertrays fitted, Marc's last fiddling around sorted, finally off for an MOT inspection with Robin.

It passed.

Touch and go with hydrocarbon emissions on the fresh engine with its new rings, but eventually Rob warmed up enough to clear its throat and sneak under the limit.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Wheel alignment done, undertrays fitted, Marc's last fiddling around sorted, finally off for an MOT inspection with Robin.

It passed.

Touch and go with hydrocarbon emissions on the fresh engine with its new rings, but eventually Rob warmed up enough to clear its throat and sneak under the limit.
Just if you know it offhand, what's the difference in acceptable numbers between U.K. requirements, R.O.W. and U.S. (just in case someone might want to build a 9m motor that puts out a bit more power and still pass our draconian smog regs ...)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPP
Just if you know it offhand, what's the difference in acceptable numbers between U.K. requirements, R.O.W. and U.S. (just in case someone might want to build a 9m motor that puts out a bit more power and still pass our draconian smog regs ...)
In the UK we test the emissions with the engine running. In California if you want a 911 to pass, you don't.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The new 9m93RS CS had its first official test drive outing today on a 50 mile round trip to Chester & back to get it road taxed (For those not familiar with the UK licensing laws, the red-on-whites are trade plates, used as a legitimate way of running an untaxed but otherwise road legal car - effectively a "universal" road tax certificate for the motortrade). The car behaved faultlessly and showed a clean pair of heels to a number of would-bes & try-hards on the roundabouts I negotiated on the way; suspension was smooth & precise, gearchange good, brakes excellent and plenty of mid range performance from the up-cammed 3.8RS engine. Certainly turned a few heads in Chester town centre.

Best get my RS CS on the road soon as I'm now going to have withdrawal symptoms....
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPP
Here are the UK smog requirements from the 2nd pass certificate of the 9m93RS:
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are the UK smog requirements from the 2nd pass certificate of the 9m93RS:
Thanks Colin. I'll have to look and see if I have a paper copy of the last smog test I did when I first licensed SpeedArena .. but we're all digital now (sent to the State's DMV database automatically ..) and I can't remember if I actually got a copy. It would be interesting to see what the differences in requirements are ...

Anyway, beautiful finished product as usual and the color is stunning. We didn't get many Maritime Blue cars over here I don't think, but it seems it was a very popular choice across the pond, yes? Refresh our memory on the suspension bits here .. IIRC this car did not get a KW Variant system, correct? Is it pretty much stock RS at this point? You can tell me to STFT if I've missed it in the back pages ..
Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We think the engine failed initial smog test due to being lean at idle, so maybe there is an air leak going on somewhere? It's early days yet, we have to fit the seats & harnesses when they arrive so there is time to investigate it further.
I think the main difference in UK to US smog is that the US see fit to request an air pump to induce secondary exhaust burning on the cold start cycle and that later cars have to run OBD2 dual lambda against European 993s which run OBD1.

The car is full RS specification in respect of everything on the chassis apart from poly bushes in the front wishbones; the only deviation on the engine are mild sports camshafts & 100 cell cats; Interior is pure Clubsport with the addition of a rear deck carpet, roof lining, electric windows and hi-fi.

Incidentally the carpet and roof lining make a huge difference to noise levels, at 80mph all you can hear is an ever so slight whine from the gearbox in 6th.

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Narrowbody Clubsport - it's finished!!!