Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Returning my seats to newish condition without dye...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
DanQ - Thanks for the tip on Jason's auto spa. I think I will be contacting him (them) next spring.
If all you need detailed are the seats, it is a very easy DIY job with leatherique rejuvinator oil and pristine clean. I do this myself. I had a 95 M3 steering wheel that looked like the leather was shot. Using the oil and a soft tooth brush, it turned out to be caked on dirt. The wheel came out like new. I have been sold on the stuff since then.
http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Leatherique also sells dyes and custom mixes if needed. I have their dye kit which comes wit cleaner and conditioner as well. Have not used it yet, though.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
Sureflex is a dye. and I've used it and when you want a dye its great. (they'll custom mix colors which I had them do for a couch actually). but Leatherique is a cleaner / conditioner. two different products... both are obviously well thought of.
yep, Surflex is a dye... but the same folks (Colorplus) also sell a Conditioner product that is applied in the same manner as the detailer the OP referenced did. Apply, let soak and keep "wet" for a long time.
It works great.

Their conditioner is called "Soffener" http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_products.html

The people at Color Plus are GREAT to work with. No affiliation... but I use their stuff often.
Actually repairing, redying and conditioning a pair of hardback sport seats to go in my turbo right now
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanQ
If all you need detailed are the seats, it is a very easy DIY job with leatherique rejuvinator oil and pristine clean. I do this myself. I had a 95 M3 steering wheel that looked like the leather was shot. Using the oil and a soft tooth brush, it turned out to be caked on dirt. The wheel came out like new. I have been sold on the stuff since then.
http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html
I spoke to Blake at NWAS today and he said they did indeed use Leatherique. For the Rejuvinator step they applied it twice and let it sit overnight both times. He said sometimes they use an infrared heater (no plastic wrap) to speed up the process but they didn't do that on this car.

This was the first time I've visited their shop though I've been wanting to check it out for awhile now. Very impressive staff and facility.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, even thought there was beautiful white GT3 and flat-out awesome dark grey 430 Scud in the driveway every one of the crew stared at my car as I drove in and they stared at it like it was something special. (Or maybe they were just blown away at how filthy it was.) Great group of guys and a lot of positive energy there.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It's very easy to clean up, & all NWAS products can be purchased online.

Dye transfer is very common, especially on lighter colored leathers, but usually it's on SUV's where people slide in & out of the car. If you keep on top of the problem it's a simple fix, it's when it's been years in the making, that it can be hard to remove. I have some leather cleaners that will remove dyes easier & faster, but you can't beat leathereique for neglected leathers.

When you are buffing a 993 it's best to remove the bumperestts, headlights, & badges. There is a TON of dirt that gets stuck under them.

But NWAS does good work & you can't go wrong with their higher end details.

Anyone local that needs 993 detailing advice, I cam more then willing to help out.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
rocketvox
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI many of you were right and it has already been mentioned here. I asked Blake at NWAS what they used on my car and it was leatherique left on overnight. If nothing else, I learned something. Leave the stuff on for 24 hours and wipe off next day.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

[youtube]pTkmFZ91rXE[/youtube]
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...very impressive video. First exposure to wrapping - expensive? opps, sorry, ot...
Old 12-17-2010, 03:26 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by aircooled
...very impressive video. First exposure to wrapping - expensive? opps, sorry, ot...
Expensive? I guess it's relatively cheap compared to a re-paint. And it depends on the shop doing the job. I'd guess that wrap was $5-6K, just a guess though.

Any more pics of your car? It looks awesome!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
The interior shop that installed my cab top claims that the best thing to use on leather is.... Lemon Pledge!
I can't comment on its use on leather, but I can on its use on exterior plastics such as fairings and windscreens of motorcycles. Lemon Pledge makes the bugs so much easier to remove at the end of the day.

As for cleaners, truly good cleaners are those that do the job extremely well while also being safe to use over and over again in the long term without damage to the finish. And they're even better when they are priced low compared to those specialty cleaners that are grossly overpriced.

There is nothing magical about detailing; its using the right products, a method and time/patience. IMO, a car cannot be properly detailed in a day.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I can't comment on its use on leather, but I can on its use on exterior plastics such as fairings and windscreens of motorcycles. Lemon Pledge makes the bugs so much easier to remove at the end of the day.

As for cleaners, truly good cleaners are those that do the job extremely well while also being safe to use over and over again in the long term without damage to the finish. And they're even better when they are priced low compared to those specialty cleaners that are grossly overpriced.

There is nothing magical about detailing; its using the right products, a method and time/patience. IMO, a car cannot be properly detailed in a day.
Using "pledge" on cars is a Hot Rodder thing. It does clean & make things shine, but it's NOT for cars, & there will be issues with long term use. At car shows I see a ton of pledge, & the new thing is the wipes. While fine for a spot clean, it is NOT a car cleaning product, & over time, & will damage paint, & leather. It will pull all the oils & suppleness out of the leather over time.

If Pledge was the miracle for cars, it would already be rebranded & for sale in the car detail product isles.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Using "pledge" on cars is a Hot Rodder thing. It does clean & make things shine, but it's NOT for cars, & there will be issues with long term use. At car shows I see a ton of pledge, & the new thing is the wipes. While fine for a spot clean, it is NOT a car cleaning product, & over time, & will damage paint, & leather. It will pull all the oils & suppleness out of the leather over time.

If Pledge was the miracle for cars, it would already be rebranded & for sale in the car detail product isles.
Agreed, I would never consider putting pledge on my leather. However, it does work GREAT on titanium. I've been using it to clean my Ti frame bikes for years and it makes titanium look showroom fresh. That being said, I can't think of two materials that are more dis-similar (Ti and Leather, that is). So I'll stick with leather products for leather and save my bottle of Pledge for Ti.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

The "fanatic" detail costs $1200...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

While fine for a spot clean, it is NOT a car cleaning product, & over time, & will damage paint, & leather. It will pull all the oils & suppleness out of the leather over time.
Well I won't be using it on leather and what you say may be true. I should have mentioned that I've used Lemon Pledge since 1991 on my 1990 BMW motorcycle that I bought new back then and to this day there is absolutely no damage to the paint. In fact, I'd like to see someone else with an original finish as good as mine on a vehicle of that age.

I think they have. I bought a can of Protect All a long time ago. No complaints other than it was 5X the price and it was no better than Pledge.

But there are some products that you will not find in the car isles that are far better and far cheaper.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I should have mentioned that I've used Lemon Pledge since 1991 on my 1990 BMW motorcycle that I bought new back then and to this day there is absolutely no damage to the paint. In fact, I'd like to see someone else with an original finish as good as mine on a vehicle of that age.
Hi Alex,

I'll rise to that challenge.

I've been using Lemon Pledge for that long on my bikes as well.

It also works great on plastic instrument covers, lenses, and windshields. It helps hide fine scratches.

Here is a shot of my trio of Yamaha six-speeds. Two '90, and a '89. Recognize them?

Regards,

Al

Quick Reply: Returning my seats to newish condition without dye...