993 Forum 1995-1998

mid-weight flywheel on '95

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
The stalling doesnt happen that often but when it does happen, I just want to put my fist through the windshield.
Wifey and I went out last night and she drove home (I did enjoy the wine at dinner, thank you!). She stalled the car on a 3rd to 2nd downshift around a curve. Only time she did it -- but when that power steering goes out in mid-curve, things can get dangerous! And, no, I'm not going to teach her how to heel and toe.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
The stalling doesnt happen that often but when it does happen, I just want to put my fist through the windshield. It's more common with the A/C or lights on is what I have noticed in the past several years.

The transmission noise doesnt bother me and I dont usually hear unless Im pulled up next to wall---like a drive through. Its sounds like marbles rolling in a tin can. There is a noise that comes between second and 3rd gear---its like a low gargle.

The advantages, feel, and performance are great but in my opinion. That damn occassional stall is haunting.

BTW--the only fix I havent tried is Steve Wongs chip but I did speak to him a few years back about it but I've gotten to the point that I dont want to waste any more time with it. I probably have thousands of dollars in personal time vested in it already.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.
I have a steve wong LWF chip and it raises the revs enough so that the car was only stalling when the lights were on , as most of my driving in this car is early morning runs it was still a pain. However since installing HID lights which don`t seem to draw as much power as the std lights . (ie, turning lights on doesn`t drop the revs as much) the problem has been virtually eliminated. stalling once in about five drives instead of five or six times per drive.
steve
Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The standard oe chip does not respond fast enough to the rapid reduction in engine rpm/loss of inertia with a light flywheel/clutch - so the engine stalls.

if you don't want a custom calibrated chip [from steve weiner] made for specifically for your 993 - handle the stalling.

The p/o of my 993 told me he went thro' a number of over-the-counter chips and none of them stopped the stalling problems; a couple of them sounded downright dangerous with stalling, poor fuel economy and pre-detonation.

Go custom.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

From the Steve Wong website: He Guarantees no stalling.

Stalling from the installation of a lightweight flywheel and clutch is now history, guaranteed to be fixed by our latest most advanced program solution, or your money back. Not only do you have to worry about stalling from the RPMs subdipping below idle on decel and between shifts, but our newest code actually helps with clutch engagement off the line without excessive clutch slip - minimizing wear, while further compounding the throttle response potential of the lighter flywheel and clutch. Former customers are welcome to have their chips updated free to the latest LWF coding. Contact us for further information.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

As steve porter says, "I have a steve wong LWF chip and it raises the revs enough so that the car was only stalling when the lights were on , as most of my driving in this car is early morning runs it was still a pain."

As per Vorsicht - may be steve wong's guarantee applies only in day light?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Or maybe he doesn't have the latest update?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I've had a Steve Weiner chip since January of 2004----almost 7 years and 31,000 added to the clock since install. I have the original conversations from email back in Dec of 2003. Dang, seems just like yesterday!

I dont think its so much a chip issue as it is that the LWF wasnt designed with the 95 in mind for the average daily driver. On the track, thats another story. I think all the chips out there may help address the issue but not correct the issue 100%. Some people experience zero stalls, a majority of others do.

I do like the performance of Steve WEINER chip (his was my 4th and last chip from 3 manufactures) and I had way bigger issues with 3 other chips (check sum issues at 9 minutes after starting that "redlined" my car at 5900 rpm---a clock work check sum problem isolated down to a precise minute and second after starting). It was a mystery to many who got involved, including contacts at Porsche Germany. The chips from the manufactures werent having any issues in any other 95's but mine. Its my onboard computer system that is a rare German cop car version that came back as the issue with the 3 previous chips from 2 manufactures.

Dont get me wrong. I like the car, its still a blast to drive, the stall I can deal with from time to time. Plus, its black and everyone knows black 95 C4's, July build of 95, Steve Weiner chip, and German cop car parts are the fastest, in their class, on the planet! My car is truely one of kind.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 12-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Steve" confusion.

Is the Steve Wong chip used by Steve Weiner?

Or does Steve Weiner have his own chip?

Is it soldered in or just plugged into the '95 ECU?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunter
"Steve" confusion.

Is the Steve Wong chip used by Steve Weiner?

Or does Steve Weiner have his own chip?

Is it soldered in or just plugged into the '95 ECU?
Two different Steves. The chips are plug and play.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Gunter - there is no confusion.
One is Wong, the other is Weiner. I have a Steve Weiner chip.
You give all the details of your 993 [with any mods] to Mr. Weiner and he produces a chip for your car.
You swap out your oe chip for the new one designed specifically for your car and your mods.

I did and my 993 does not stall................................!

95 C4 993 post is particularly relevant.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I too have the chip from Steve Weiner. I've put 300 miles of city driving on my car ('95) since installing the LWF a couple of weeks ago. It idles rock solid and hasn't stalled once.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that makes it clearer.

Steve Weiner has his own chip for the LWF conversion.

Aside from the mechanical stuff, I take it that installing the chip is:
Remove driver's seat, open the ECU and exchange chips on a '95 ??

Steve Wong also has a chip for the conversion but it would make sense to do it all in one place.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Gunter wrote, "Aside from the mechanical stuff, I take it that installing the chip is:
Remove driver's seat, open the ECU and exchange chips on a '95 ??"

Yes.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the ECU out without removing the seat.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
You can get the ECU out without removing the seat.
Only if the ECU has been out before, if the anti-tamper bolts/nuts are still in place the seat needs to come out.

Quick Reply: mid-weight flywheel on '95