Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   mid-weight flywheel on '95 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/601563-mid-weight-flywheel-on-95-a.html)

inkatouring 11-13-2010 12:52 PM

mid-weight flywheel on '95

By way of background, I've had LWFs in several BMWs and loved them (and still do love it in my touring). So, I put a LWF in my '95 and modified my driving to almost completely eliminate stalling, but it still happens more than I'd like. I talked with ANDAIL about their mid weight flywheel, which adds about 10 lbs to a LWF (LWF = 10 lbs; DMF = 30 lbs, MWF = 20 lbs).

Here's my question to those with MFWs: How does it compare to a LWF in terms of feel and performance? I appreciate the ease with which the motor spins, but really have no use for the stalling issues, which do not happen with similarly LWFs in my other cars.......

bb993tt 11-13-2010 01:15 PM

You might want to pose this question to ScottMellor on the TT board. I know he has one in his car.

dpressley 11-13-2010 01:16 PM

We bought our 95 w LWF and stalling was a real issue, but once the ICV got cleaned out it has virtually stopped. Any chance your ICV is due for a cleaning?

I'm sure ppressle will chime in ;-)

matt777 11-13-2010 04:50 PM

I don't believe that a MWF is available these days. I saw surplus one one Ebay last year and it went for a good price.

bb993tt 11-13-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by matt777 (Post 8054346)
I don't believe that a MWF is available these days. I saw surplus one one Ebay last year and it went for a good price.

A quick phone call to Andial would clear that up, or looking at their website.

matt777 11-13-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bb993tt (Post 8054348)
A quick phone call to Andial would clear that up, or looking at their website.

They list a LWF in their catalog but it looks the same as all the others. I just installed a LWF so I'll be somewhat annoyed if the MWF is in fact available again. :)

Sooner 11-14-2010 02:55 PM

I have had the MWF from Andial on my car for 5 years now. I've never driven a 993 with a LWF, but I am very pleased with the MWF over the DMF. I do clean the ISV at least once per year, and I have a performance chip from Steve W at Rennsport Systems.

black ice 11-14-2010 06:19 PM

Are you due for a clutch? I'm in the same position as you having just installed the LWF. Looking at chip/ISV idle setting options now. Does not seem worth dropping the engine for a MWF if there is another solution.

but then that wasn't your question... 8^)

dave

inkatouring 11-14-2010 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by black ice (Post 8056615)
Are you due for a clutch? I'm in the same position as you having just installed the LWF. Looking at chip/ISV idle setting options now. Does not seem worth dropping the engine for a MWF if there is another solution.

but then that wasn't your question... 8^)

dave

Worth it? Well, I may be dropping the engine anyway (wish I wasn't, but that's another Oprah show). So, then it become "worth it," I guess. Otherwise, I think I agree with you.

All, thanks for the replies.

DJF1 11-14-2010 10:21 PM

I have one in my cabrio as well. Tried first the LWF and was stalling constantly. compared to the coupe which has the LWF the difference is not noticeable. You still need to adapt your driving as well as the stalls are mostly gone but still there on occasion if i dont pay attention.

95 C4 993 11-14-2010 10:27 PM

Somewhere between a LWF and DMF, maybe it will only stall 1/2 as many times on a 95? :roflmao:

After every trick in the book and several trips to the shop (havent tried a Steve Wong chip), I still get the occasional stall.

inkatouring 11-15-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by matt777 (Post 8054557)
They list a LWF in their catalog but it looks the same as all the others. I just installed a LWF so I'll be somewhat annoyed if the MWF is in fact available again. :)

Be prepared to be "somewhat annoyed." I just ordered one today. Have no idea how long it's been available, but it is. Don't know when I'll be dropping the motor, but figured it was good idea to get one now while they're out there....

matt777 11-15-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by inkatouring (Post 8059230)
Be prepared to be "somewhat annoyed." I just ordered one today. Have no idea how long it's been available, but it is. Don't know when I'll be dropping the motor, but figured it was good idea to get one now which they're out there....

Call me annoyed. What are they going for now?

inkatouring 11-15-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by matt777 (Post 8059258)
Call me annoyed. What are they going for now?

Dear Mr. Rightfully Annoyed:

Nine Hundred for flywheel without the clutch assembly.

Very truly yours,

Mr. Equally Annoyed, as I would have put in a MFW in the first place, too.

Michaelc 11-16-2010 12:25 AM

So is Andial offering the MWF? My shop says I'm due for a clutch, but I've been shying away from the LWF for all the reasons other 95 owners have mentioned here. I would be very interested in the MWF, but thought it was no longer available.