993 Forum 1995-1998

mid-weight flywheel on '95

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^Price?
Some mentioned $900 a few posts ago. They would not give me price via email - said to call.

Andial (no affiliation): 714-957-3900.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i pulled out my MWF for a LWF . The MWF never stalled but the LWF really revs up much better.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 C4S
andial lwf w/weight ring..
extra gear rattle but acceptable..
no stalling issues for me.. no need to toe heel on decel to prevent stalling..
noticeable upgrade!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Gunter
Racer

Is the clutch kit exactly the same for LWF and MWF?

Longer guide tube etc.?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:43 PM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There might be a group buy opportunity here.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:44 PM
richard66
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM
michel j
Instructor

I have been undecided over which way to go with my flywheel for more than 6 months. I think I have read every post on the this site and pelican on this subject. I like the smoothness and quiet operation of the DMF but I can feel the heavy weight on every shift

I also have a vibration above 4200 RPM that I hope the replacement flywheel will correct. My car is a 95 so the MWF was attractive to prevent possible stalling issues.

With all this information, I have decided to go with the LWF. My car is in the shop right now. Stay tuned to find out if I made the right decision.

Michel
Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by michel j
I have been undecided over which way to go with my flywheel for more than 6 months. I think I have read every post on the this site and pelican on this subject. I like the smoothness and quiet operation of the DMF but I can feel the heavy weight on every shift

I also have a vibration above 4200 RPM that I hope the replacement flywheel will correct. My car is a 95 so the MWF was attractive to prevent possible stalling issues.

With all this information, I have decided to go with the LWF. My car is in the shop right now. Stay tuned to find out if I made the right decision.

Michel
Hope it works out. Let us know.

I suggest -- if you haven't already -- talking to Steve at Rennsport systems in Portland about intake parts that should be replaced while you're in there to reduce the chance of vacuum leaks, as those leaks are one of the significant causes of the stalling. I know I wish I had.....
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michel j

Michel
Over 70% of all 95's stall with LWF's---just a fact that can be found on a search. I would would say its most likely higher. Not to be discouraging but just presenting the facts and the statisitics are stacked against you. Im going on 6 years with the LWF and its been in the shop at least 6 times to try to correct it and the stall happens time to time. Once it happens, you will think about it a lot for awhile when your driving. You may become more distracted about wondering if your car will stall that it takes away from the experience. Not more than 1 minute after spending $7k on my 60k tune, suspension upgrade, and replacing/fixing every possible item that could be tuned or fixed regardless if it needed fixing or not (ISV cleaning), it stalled a block away from the shop. I've even said a prayer once but the man above must have not heard that one. Understandable, he has bigger issues in this world to work with.

On the flip side, maybe it will never stall. If it does, welcome to the club.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 12-19-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 AM
michel j
Instructor

95 C4 993, I have read many of your posts concerning the stalling issues with the LWF. I know you are not happy and the stalling drives you crazy. I may be joining the club, but, I took all this info into consideration when making my decision. Your comments are appreciated.

However, I have read many posts in favor of the LWF. I spoke with my wrench, and Steve Wong on this issue and they feel the main drawback is transmission noise at idle and at low RPMs. Everything else is a plus.

The flywheel and clutch is being replaced without removing engine.

Stay tuned
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

The stalling doesnt happen that often but when it does happen, I just want to put my fist through the windshield. It's more common with the A/C or lights on is what I have noticed in the past several years.

The transmission noise doesnt bother me and I dont usually hear unless Im pulled up next to wall---like a drive through. Its sounds like marbles rolling in a tin can. There is a noise that comes between second and 3rd gear---its like a low gargle.

The advantages, feel, and performance are great but in my opinion. That damn occassional stall is haunting.

BTW--the only fix I havent tried is Steve Wongs chip but I did speak to him a few years back about it but I've gotten to the point that I dont want to waste any more time with it. I probably have thousands of dollars in personal time vested in it already.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Gunter
Racer

My stock '95 with DMF idles ~750 according to the Tach, no stalling issues.

Is that normal idling for a 993? I intent to clean the ISV as part of maintenance anyway.

With LWF installed, what idling RPM can be expected?

Would it help to open the butterfly setting just a little? I assume there is an adjustable throttle-stop?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

As suggested - call Steve Weiner.

Stalling with lighter flywheel can be stopped with a change to a purpose calibrated ecu chip.

I have a RS camshafts, Andial sports clutch and Euro RS flywheel with Rennsport Systems engine management chip designed by steve Weiner for this configuration - never stalls.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

As suggested - call Steve Weiner.

Stalling with lighter flywheel can be stopped with a change to a purpose calibrated ecu chip.

I have a RS camshafts, Andial sports clutch and Euro RS flywheel with Rennsport Systems engine management chip designed by steve Weiner for this configuration - never stalls.

oh, I forgot the Billy Boat stainless steel exhaust headers.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Gunter
Racer

Without making any other changes like chip, cams, etc., where does the idle RPM ends up when doing ONLY the LWF and clutch?

Would love some answers from people who installed LWF without doing anything else.

And, has someone tried to move the throttle stop to increase idle slightly?

Please, just people who ONLY changed the LWF & clutch but nothing else.

Quick Reply: mid-weight flywheel on '95