Sponsored by:

Targa Squeak is driving me MADDDDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Targa Squeak is driving me MADDDDD

After putting in the new suspension, my targa developed a squeak on the front top right. It drives me mad, as is sounds like Styrofoam rubbing.

Does anybody know how I can get down into the what nots around the widow frame and wind deflector?

Thank you for any help.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

First of all, read the TSB's on my site:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...,_Parts_Guides

There are a few on Targa noises and squeaks.

If the squeak started with new suspension, my guess is the new suspension is a lot stiffer?

I am running PSS-9's with RS bars, car is very low and with 19" RUF's, and I do get a bit of noise, but it does not bother me at all...the car is loud enough so its an issue.

Does it sounds like a glass to rubber type of squeak, or something else? Does it rattle, or only squeak. Does it only happen when the road causes the car to twist?

The wind deflector can make some noise. You can treat the rubber and that will help, but avoid any grease....the roof mechanism does not like that.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

First of all, read the TSB's on my site:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...,_Parts_Guides

There are a few on Targa noises and squeaks.

If the squeak started with new suspension, my guess is the new suspension is a lot stiffer?

I am running PSS-9's with RS bars, car is very low and with 19" RUF's, and I do get a bit of noise, but it does not bother me at all...the car is loud enough so its an issue.

Does it sounds like a glass to rubber type of squeak, or something else? Does it rattle, or only squeak. Does it only happen when the road causes the car to twist?

The wind deflector can make some noise. You can treat the rubber and that will help, but avoid any grease....the roof mechanism does not like that.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rev the engine more, and the problem will go away.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
shadow993
Drifting

It is a nasty squeak! It mainly happens on rough roads. It isn't the deflector, but under it. When I wash the car the water lubricates the point and it goes away.

When nobody is in the car it doesn't bother me as much, top open windows open and revving the engine. However when just cruising it annoys the life out of me.

Is it pretty is to remove the deflector and get under there?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shadow,
Go to the link provided above for pcarworkshop and look at the info. Check out the Targa specific documents and then open the document "Noises from the targa roof area". Area #1 and #2 might be what you are asking.

If water lubricates the rubbing point, I would try to see where the water is entering and get a more permanent lubricant in those areas.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadow993
It is a nasty squeak! It mainly happens on rough roads. It isn't the deflector, but under it. When I wash the car the water lubricates the point and it goes away.

When nobody is in the car it doesn't bother me as much, top open windows open and revving the engine. However when just cruising it annoys the life out of me.

Is it pretty is to remove the deflector and get under there?
I think the issue maybe even be more related to cooler weather than the issue of the new suspension. I experience a similar issue on the driver side window door when the weather cools down. It seems the slight contraction of the glass to a smaller size causes the effect you're describing.

Similar to what you're saying the water does for you in reducing this, I found that rubbing the rubber window molding with a rag sprayed with silicon spray eliminates the squeaking effect. In the winter time I seem to need to do this about every 2 weeks. I think you may find this will really help. Sure hope that works for you. I know what you're talking about and it's very annoying. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche recommends wiping the seals with petroleum jelly now and then in one of its TSBs. I have the problem after a rain occasionally. The water dries and it gets squeaky. Temperature may also contribute. I open and close the top a couple times and it goes away, I have been meaning to put wipe the seals with vaseline.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Metallica. Works every time.

No really:
White lithium grease for the metal parts, rubber/vinyl protectant for the seals. It does wonders. I have had success with Lexol Vinyl protectant. It cleans and protects. I apply and wipe off, then liberally re-apply and let it sit overnight with the top closed. It moisturizes the seals and keeps them pliable.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 PM
shadow993
Drifting

thanks for the tips. I will dig in deeper. Mine is in the area of 2 and 3.

It started the very first day of the new suspension. My driveway causes the car to torque a little bit because of the offset angle upon entry an exit. I think before the suspension gave and now it holds firm, so some old rubber gave way and let to the new squeak

Quick Reply: Targa Squeak is driving me MADDDDD