993 Forum 1995-1998

Engine undertray

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine undertray

I know this topic has been debated for years, and I thought getting that undertray off was a great idea for letting the engine cool down after stopping, to avoid heat soak. Then I crawled under car, and it is really scrapped up. It has totally protected the heat exchangers. I think I am going to leave it on.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

took mine off, went up a steeper hill to a parking lot which are very common here in So Cal...not having the tray cover caused it to hit the orange rubber tubing to the heat box on the pavement, tearing one.. i think protection is a good thing so I put it back on...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic dB
took mine off, went up a steeper hill to a parking lot which are very common here in So Cal...not having the tray cover caused it to hit the orange rubber tubing to the heat box, tearing one.. i think protection is a good thing so I put it back on...
+1. Same thing happened to me. Those heater boxes aren't cheap either.

Everyone loves to run without one, but few people know there can be expensive drawbacks, especially if the car has been lowered.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 also....my car has been lowered also which contributed to it...but it shouldnt have happened had the cover been in place. There was some debate over whether the cover off could make the engine run cooler and therefore help with premature valve guide wear and also SAI...however there has yet to have been any quantitative data as to whether the cover off actually helps... I doubt that it does, but who knows for sure?... if I were tracking my car, which Im not...Id have it off of course but for daily street it does offer some needed protection if the car has been lowered.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce Armstrong thinks it is a good idea to remove it. That is good enough for me
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porsche engineers decided to put that thing on - so it's good for me to leave it on...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder how much scrape "protection" you really get from a plastic tray held on by a couple of dzus fasteners. We are not talking about a steel skid plate on a 4x4. Chances are if you are damaging your undersides without it, you'd probably have ripped off the cover had it been installed.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van1
I wonder how much scrape "protection" you really get from a plastic tray held on by a couple of dzus fasteners. We are not talking about a steel skid plate on a 4x4. Chances are if you are damaging your undersides without it, you'd probably have ripped off the cover had it been installed.
Umm, if you read the posts above, you'll see the protection the engine tray can provide.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Uhhh, just because the engine tray had some scrapes on it, doesn't mean it protected anything. It just means the tray got scraped. If you were to bottom out sufficiently to damage the heater boxes, the engine tray would've been smashed in the process and the heater boxes probably would've still been damaged.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Uhhh, just because the engine tray had some scrapes on it, doesn't mean it protected anything. It just means the tray got scraped. If you were to bottom out sufficiently to damage the heater boxes, the engine tray would've been smashed in the process and the heater boxes probably would've still been damaged.
Umm, no one bottomed out, per se. At least not in a way that would damage anything had the engine tray been on, which is the point. With the engine tray removed, the heater boxes can droop down ever so slightly. All one needs to do is back out of a driveway and the box can catch and rip off, as that's what happened to me.

The engine tray in place would have prevented this. An advantage to having the engine tray, as it came from the factory, on.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is lowered and I've not scraped anything yet but I live on the Prairies.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Take the cover off...let your engine manage it heat better. That plastic box is not going to protect much anyways....

I have thrown out a total of 7 of these now! :-)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tray aerodynamics

On & off-topic:
Of all the RL discussions re: undertray on & off, I've only recently noticed mentions of potential aerodynamic advantages with undertray on...

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Engine tray installed, 166mph, car was very stable
Engine tray removed, 153mph, car was beginning to get a bit light in the rear and becoming a bit twitchy, I backed off and cruised home
Originally Posted by mr_bock
SC installed.... engine cover on... got up to 180 mph rock steady.
I am a happy TPC customer
Originally Posted by dcdude
I'm no aerodynamic engineer, but the engine tray does flatten out the bottom. That has to reduce drag
Originally Posted by 993MAN
280kmph in my Turbo 3.6.
The car was not done either, I chickened out.
That was a rush. Engine drip tray was off dammit. Might have got more had it been on.
Originally Posted by Marco69
A flat bottom will help reduce turbulence and lift under the car. This is how cars achieve down-force without using airfoils or wings today! Removing the engine tray will have a negative effect aerodynamically speaking!

Unrelated photo taken this week, during a break from a spirited November romp in the Rockies

Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Fine, so my 180mph top speed stability may be compromised....I would still trade this for a cooler engine any day. :-)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Surely Porsche designed the underside tray with cooling in mind ie to manage the airflow (to help keep it on the ground) and cooling. To take that off would compromise the design. We all know that Porsche engineering is always for a purpose, rather than necessarily to look good.

Quick Reply: Engine undertray