Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving @ 178 mph with David Donahue @ MMC(Riley race car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam N

p.s. god bless those ladies
as far as I can tell He already did
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Ok-agreed, things got out of hand.

Hope everyone enjoys the pics etc.
Ill post some in car vids & outside car vids of David driving the wheels of the beast.

Rich
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Mike Cap,

Yes David is the son of the legend Mark Donahue who unfortunetly died needlessly in an open wheel race that meant nothing for his career.
He was already retired & lured back into open wheel racing after just setting world record closed course record at Talladega in a 917/30.

Rich

Last edited by RDS928S; 11-02-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Mike Cap,

Yes David is the son of the legend Mark Donahue who unfortunetly died needlessly in a sill open wheel race that meant nothing.

Rich
What? Mark Donohue died during practice at the Austrian Grand Prix, hardly "a sill [sic] open wheel race that meant nothing."
Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I think you're mixing up Mark Donohue with Jim Clark, the legendary racer who died at a minor German F2 race.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still... love the pics of the cars and of the ladies that MarkD correctly pointed out have been blessed by God.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
@ #1 & #4: Get out of my dreams and into my car!
I downloaded her first, so she's mine, mf'er!
Originally Posted by Sam N
Mark, I see you are well versed in advanced conflict resolution techniques. Use it wisely. You have a gift.

p.s. god bless those ladies
Thought you might like them.
Originally Posted by RDS928S
Mike Cap,

Yes David is the son of the legend Mark Donahue who unfortunetly died needlessly in an open wheel race that meant nothing for his career.
He was already retired & lured back into open wheel racing after just setting world record closed course record at Talladega in a 917/30.

Rich
Can you tell me how racing F1 meant nothing to Donohue's career? He had triumphed over the top levels of four-wheeled motorsports...except for F1. If someone forced Donohue to race again or if there is a record of him having stated that he was not taking F1 seriously, please post a link, for I have never heard of this. He was a consummate competitor, and he wanted to win, at least under the "best predictor of future behavior is past behavior" hypothesis.
Attached Images       
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

OMG those woman look simply scrumptious. Damn. And that's all I have to say about that.

Ken
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Rich,

Thanks for the note.... so you "shook the hand that shook the hand..." Pretty sweet. His son looks just like him.

Mark Donahue was my hero when I first started driving - we all owned Camaros and Corvettes, Chevelles.... you know the hardware. I watched him race Trans AM and Can Am at Watkins Glen and Mosport - would have been 1971 - 1972 I guess.

On a practice day at Mosport he was driving the Sunoco Porsche (917?) - the yellow and blue monster. The same year the black UOP Shadow was there. Late in the day and things quieted down, my pal and I hopped the pit wall after all the racing was done. Donahue was leaning on the pit wall shooting the breeze. He said hello and we got some pics of him by the car. We weren't supposed to be there and the officials started coming over - he waved them off. I always thought he was a class guy.

Thanks for the pics and response.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pictures Mark, now what was this thread about hummm...
Old 12-25-2010, 04:15 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Sure looks better than what passes for a DP used in competition! (Oh, and any generic non-ground effect sports racer such as my Radical can go 2.5g cornering and 3g braking. Even on crappy tires on non-aero dependent cornering I'm just under 2.0g. ~$30K will get a decent 1.3L Radical these days, though the acceleration won't wow you.)
Hi,

I am not trying to resuscitate the discussion in this thread (that nonetheless brought up a few nice pictures as an unexpected aside) but just saw this Wikipedia entry on the ring best lap times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times and could not help but notice the times for a Radical SR8 which are simply the top times for non-race cars. That should bring a smile to Ken.
Porsches are incredible cars but they are not the only ones that can do fast laps - and I assume all the pilots in the top 10 or top 20 list must be good ones.
Chris
Old 12-25-2010, 05:41 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what is going on I am still pretty uptight with all this name calling on this thread so more picts of the ladies is in order. Then out to my P car and a few laps and all should be back to normal. ha the picts puts alot back into place.........
Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NeufCentOnze
Hi,

I am not trying to resuscitate the discussion in this thread (that nonetheless brought up a few nice pictures as an unexpected aside) but just saw this Wikipedia entry on the ring best lap times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times and could not help but notice the times for a Radical SR8 which are simply the top times for non-race cars. That should bring a smile to Ken.
Porsches are incredible cars but they are not the only ones that can do fast laps - and I assume all the pilots in the top 10 or top 20 list must be good ones.
Chris
I guess you're referring to the SR8 that Vergers (at least I think it was him) drove from England to The 'Ring on street tires in order to claim that kind of time in a "street car." Uh huh. Something like my mere SR3 at the ride height required to achieve UK street license validity, not to mention having to run on street rubber, would have me out of the thing before yesterday. Or not having bothered with it in the first place. It makes that much of a difference.

My head's much more in my Spec Miata the past couple of months. Phenomenal amount of skill in both setup and driving ability required to extract maximum potential out of those humble things.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh yeah, any of us here would look down at a drive in a Radical....
Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Oh yeah, any of us here would look down at a drive in a Radical....
Let's put it in some personal perspective--think Ruby as its original owner took delivery v. how it sits today. If OE was what a 911 was all about, would you look elsewhere? Lotus, BMW, or ????

If I had to limit the Radical to little better (if at all) than a massaged Elise, I think I'd take the real car that easily was licensed/insured.

Quick Reply: Driving @ 178 mph with David Donahue @ MMC(Riley race car)