Sponsored by:

Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
So, I ordered and received the rope, but have not put it in yet because I don't quite understand how to go about it. Anyone care to explain in detail?
Inka, it may be the easiest DIY of all. It's a 1 on the 1-10 scale.

Just peel the rubber seal surrounding the windshield back slightly, and you'll see a nice big gap in there. Just ease the rope in their with something that won't scratch anything, like a popsicle stick or plastic knife, etc.

I started in the top center of the windshield, and worked my way around. As I wrote earlier in the thread, you'll see that the gap is not uniform, and some places it'll be harder to ease the rope in than others.

I went all the way around the windshield with the rope and had some left over, so I used the extra to stuff in where the gap was widest.

It's a super easy DIY. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll see if I can help.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may or may not help someone but a few years ago I had a 964 Targa that had a crazy creaky window on the drivers lower corner and it finally stopped when the windshield broke hitting a large pothole in Quebec.
My 993 seemed to have the same problem over rough roads and I was planning on installing the rope next summer. In the fall I was pushing in the lower corner to try to feel the vibration of the squeek and started to consider that possibly it was not coming from my window(after a year of cursing my windshield).
I tried placing a thin towel in the corner( in the corner and 1/3 way down the doorseal) and shutting the door. The squeaking stopped completely (yes I drove the car). I have since tried silicone and other lube on seals but it continues. Some might argue that the towel puts pressure on the window through the dash but I think not. More investigation is required.
Just a new thought and experience, freshening and updating the thread....sort of.. regards Doug
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I would also let the sun warm the outer rubber trim before removal (old) and installation (new) to make it easier to work with and snap into the channel around the windshield.
So the way I read it, not only did you use the so-called "rattle rope", you also installed new rubber window trim.

Does the front window trim pull out and snap back in like the rear window trim?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
So the way I read it, not only did you use the so-called "rattle rope", you also installed new rubber window trim.

Does the front window trim pull out and snap back in like the rear window trim?
not so much a snap, as it is a squooge
the rubber is "T-shaped" and fits into a channel. More of an arrow profile, I suppose.

but yes, similar to the rear in fitting
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, I've got a Honda Ridgeline as my daily driver. It doesn't have a squeaky windshield at all. My 993 does just a bit-usually on driveways. Actually, a creak.

My Honda isn't as fast, doesn't handle 1/2 as well, gets worse mileage than the 993, and isn't as fun to drive. Porsche got an awful lot of boxes checked in the good or great column with these cars.

I suppose if I bought the 993 new, I'd have a right to gripe.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll need to quite my windshield, so couple questions:

- Has anyone had luck with Home Depot "caulking helper" that was mentioned in one of the threads?
- Has anyone tried buying foam at McMaster-Car as Mr. Walrod suggested, and if yes, what part number?
- Many reported that noise came back after 2-3 month. How common is that?
- There was at least one report of Porsche foam getting wet and retaining moisture. That makes me paranoid due to rust issues that are common around the 993 windshields as it is. Has anyone check for that?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Christian J
Racer

Mike, stop by sometime and I'll give you a shot of fluidfilm. It's paraffin based and should last a long time.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I'll need to quite my windshield, so couple questions:

- Has anyone had luck with Home Depot "caulking helper" that was mentioned in one of the threads?
- Has anyone tried buying foam at McMaster-Car as Mr. Walrod suggested, and if yes, what part number?
- Many reported that noise came back after 2-3 month. How common is that?
- There was at least one report of Porsche foam getting wet and retaining moisture. That makes me paranoid due to rust issues that are common around the 993 windshields as it is. Has anyone check for that?
I can tell you that after 18 months with the rope, no squeaking. I also have seen no moisture retention or any issue regarding rust.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Christian, I'll have to get back to MA first Sometime in late March. Paraffin sounds like a fairly permanent solution. Have you tried it around windshield?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
- There was at least one report of Porsche foam getting wet and retaining moisture.
If the foam retains/absorbs water then it isn't closed cell foam as it should be in an application like this.

Any water that gets under the rubber trim won't be so quick to evaporate, foam or not. I've always pulled the lower section of trim off the back window to dry out the channel after every washing. How the water gets in there with the trim sitting to tightly against the body of the car, I'll never know.

This has got to be the only aspect of the 993, that I've come across, that totally...skcus.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Christian J
Racer

Mike, I did use it and it worked, although I only have 500 miles on it since. Let me know when you're back in town. We'll pin the tie rods too.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it's better to remove and replace the outer rubber trim than try to leave it in place and stuff the rope in blindly.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Some German forums recommend regular olive oil treatment. This would be safe for both paint and rubber.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Some German forums recommend regular olive oil treatment.
Personally, I only use Olio Carli made by the Fratelli Carli. There is a difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps......

When I change creaky screen this is the way I solve the problem..works for me and has done since 94...

1, remove screen

I think a cave man done the last screen!!

2, treat rust if any,if it's to far gone its the Bodyshop I'm afraid!

After a rub down its starting to look better no holes!!

3, prime frame and apply tape on edge

4, apply urethane, you have to get it at the right height and width and get it as uniform as you can on the inner edge so all the urethane sits on the glass not the inner or outer trims (track car so inner trim missing)

5,when the screen is in you have to check its central in the windscreen frame as its the hard plastic outer trim that's bonded to the glass that creaks if it makes contact to the metal frame of the apiture, so it needs a nice even gap between the plastic trim and apiture

6, after you fit screen you can fill in this gap so that no moisture/water can sit in the gap to stop rust etc (i think there is a porsche tsb on this)but I only do this if customer asks for it because if you ever need a screen again you have to cut it all back out and that means marking the paint so it's a bit of catch 22...

Every screen guy has there own way so don't take this as gospel but it's worked for me for many years....fuch

Last edited by fuch; 02-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"