Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:01 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i restuffed the rope and this time doubled up on bigger gaps but THE SQUEAKING IS STILL THERE!!!! it goes away in the afternoon probably due to warmer temperature but it's extremely annoying in the morning. I have a pretty loud exhaust but the squeak is still very much there. any other fixes???
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ist
i restuffed the rope and this time doubled up on bigger gaps but THE SQUEAKING IS STILL THERE!!!! it goes away in the afternoon probably due to warmer temperature but it's extremely annoying in the morning. I have a pretty loud exhaust but the squeak is still very much there. any other fixes???
Maybe try the "two-fer" and add some Pedro's Ice Wax in the gaps as well?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a look at an english forum where rust prevention on front and rear windshield was discussed. Check here: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=609770#609770

There is a lot of talk of the rubber rope that is also mentioned in this thread. My question is: Does this rope also solve the rust issue? I assume (since it's an official TSB) that porsche wouldn't recommend using it if it trapped water underneath the rope leading to rust. The other solution (what's being discussed in the thread in the link above) is sealing the channel entirely with sikaflex or similar, thus preventing ANYTHING from getting in there. This involves much more work of course, and is probably a pain in the X to remove if the windshield needs to be replaced down the road. Then my second question would be, does the Sikaflex (or similar sealant) prevent the squeaking of the windshield as well? I will be replacing both front and rear windshield on my car this winter so I need to decide which way to go. I have also noticed a bit of rust on the lower passenger side underneath the window seal on the rear windshield... Looking for the permanent solution to never have to think about ever dealing with this again. Also, drying the channel after every drive in the rain or wash of the car is not a good solution IMHO. Sometimes when I wash the car I don't even have access to compressed air.. Sorry for the long post, but this is one of those (two actually, squeak and rust) issues we have with our beloved 993s.

Any input much appreciated.

Happy new year everyone!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
V
Drifting

Bump. Anyone?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I can contribute anything useful here since I'm not having to deal with this issue but a thought occurred to me. There is speculation that the rope might help displace areas that would retain water, but I wonder if the rope itself can absorb and retain moisture thereby increasing the likelihood of rust?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Clown response, of course...

Get a set of Fabspeeds...you'll never hear the creak. IMHO, Fabspeeds produce the best sound out there....they are my track muffs...for the and track and street, my Fister IIIs are primo. They work well at the track too.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Quick post...on the road again...but just got the car back from the dealer with a new OEM front and rear windshield, and, guess what. The front 'squeaks' like crazy.

Been reading all the posts I can find on the subject and seems like the 'rope' might be the way to address the issue. Doubt the dealer will do anything...except say he put the windshield in as per procedure.

Question, do you just pull the outer rubber trim piece out, put the rope in and re-install the rubber trim? Or do you have to try and lift an edge of the rubber and 'stuff' the rope in under the rubber...??

Jim
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Tuck the rope under the seal, I used a plastic ruler to push it in..........................6 months later I ripped it all out as it started to creak again. Used the lube and silicon method, fitted a strut brace and its been quiet ever since
Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

ViperBob did the rope trick on my windshield in 2005 and no squeaks ever since.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

What actually causes the squeaks?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been told that the squeaks are actually caused when the fuzzy surface on the underside of the outer seal wears off, but I don't know for sure. My squeaks disappeared when I replaced both the outer seal and shoved a rope it. Easy DYI.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I spent my $30 on a fresh outer gasket instead of the 'rope' .... not a squeak for two years: the gasket suffers from UV exposure by hardening slightly .... and chafes against the paint surface. At least, that was my theory to rationalize a desired result
Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

ok Garth I'll try your solution on the C2S
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by Garth S
I spent my $30 on a fresh outer gasket instead of the 'rope' .... not a squeak for two years: the gasket suffers from UV exposure by hardening slightly .... and chafes against the paint surface. At least, that was my theory to rationalize a desired result
Uhhh, sorry Garth, don't think that is the source of the squeak/creak. I'm happy for you that the new seal solved the problem but I have a brand new windshield, brand new inner gasket and brand new outer seal. All OEM and installed at the dealer's body shop. Oh, and there is a lovely billet aluminum strut brace already installed...so no need to go there :-)

The squeak/creaking was so bad this evening driving home, that as far as I am concerned the car is UN-driveable until the problem is fixed. Sounds like a million hard backed bugs hitting the windshield.

I called the dealer body shop where the work was done this afternoon and told them about the problem...
" Oh yea, I heard that can happen with some cars, but I also heard it gets better, ( define 'gets better...' ), with time" , was the comment.
When I inquired about the factory 'rope' ( 993 part # ) solution, he said he had never heard of it, but offered this solution, " I'm sure if you spray some Crown aerosol spray under the outer seal at the corners it will go away.

Afraid not. Tried that...absolutely NO change.

This is a major problem. Sorry, I'm not driving around with the windows down and/or the stereo blaring to mask the noise of an improperly installed windshield for the next few years or until I need another new windshield.

Lawn darts anyone?

Jim
Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
What actually causes the squeaks?
Originally Posted by NickyP
I've been told that the squeaks are actually caused when the fuzzy surface on the underside of the outer seal wears off, but I don't know for sure.
Is Porsche the first manufacturer to put a window in a vehicle?

You'd think so based on them not being able to figure out something as easy as this considering car manufacturers have been putting windows in cars for almost a hundred year.

None of my Japanese cars have this issue and they cost a mere fraction of the MSRP of the Porsche. Good thing I'm not heading Porsche because that engineer would be walking down a very lonesome road.

Quick Reply: Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"