Sponsored by:

Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Is Porsche the first manufacturer to put a window in a vehicle?

You'd think so based on them not being able to figure out something as easy as this considering car manufacturers have been putting windows in cars for almost a hundred year.

None of my Japanese cars have this issue and they cost a mere fraction of the MSRP of the Porsche. Good thing I'm not heading Porsche because that engineer would be walking down a very lonesome road.
perhaps it is time for you to design and build your own sports car?

old thread revived, having a problem I assume?
need any help or just sharing?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
perhaps it is time for you to design and build your own sports car?
Perhaps some companies should take some tips from other companies and do their homework. There is a reason why some auto manufacturers have always been in trouble to some extent and needed bailouts, etc.

old thread revived, having a problem I assume?
Based on the number of threads started on the issue, it seems a lot of owners have.

There is no time limit on threads, is there? I see a few of them being revived now and then.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Since I started this thread a few years ago and installed the rope, I've never heard a creak or squeak again. Worked great for me and cost me about $30 or so
Old 01-29-2012, 04:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Since I started this thread a few years ago and installed the rope, I've never heard a creak or squeak again. Worked great for me and cost me about $30 or so
Its on my next Sunset order. I only get the odd squeak when I hit a more substantial bump in the road.

Good thing I revived an old thread...RL members now have some feedback.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Its on my next Sunset order. I only get the odd squeak when I hit a more substantial bump in the road.

Good thing I revived an old thread...RL members now have some feedback.
hmmm...
no one has ever said that there is a time limit on threads. That would be ludicrous.

sorry to hear you are squeaking so much
unfortunately it is common with some

yes, good thing you revived it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

no one has ever said that there is a time limit on threads. That would be ludicrous.
Then why did you bring it up? To up your post count?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Then why did you bring it up? To up your post count?
um, yeah, that is what I live for?
odd response... Quite the non-sequitur

if you had read my post , I simply asked if there was a question and you needed help or if you were "just sharing"

you didn't answer the question and chose to read something else into it, apparently.
sounds like you have all you need though.

have a nice day
Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

you didn't answer the question and chose to read something else into it, apparently.
Sorry, but no.

What was the point to asking "reviving an old thread". So what that it was an old thread. Funny, I never see you asking that of anyone else.

BTW, there is an old thread that just got revived in the 911 folder...better go there and ask the same question.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Sorry, but no.

What was the point to asking "reviving an old thread". So what that it was an old thread. Funny, I never see you asking that of anyone else.

BTW, there is an old thread that just got revived in the 911 folder...better go there and ask the same question.
ok, I will attempt to clarify for you:

- old thread revived
- person who revived old thread didn't ask a question, just complained
- another RLer asked if they needed help or had a question
- person who revived old thread proceeds to beat it into the ground

hopefully that clears things up.
regardless, ciao!

Last edited by MarkD; 01-29-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo... Corrected
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

- person who revived old these didn't ask a question, just complained.
- one RLer asked "what actually causes the squeaks?
- another RLer came back with "I've been told that the squeaks are actually caused when the fuzzy surface on the underside of the outer seal wears off, but I don't know for sure."

Nobody has an answer with any certainty.

Therefore my comments that followed...in a nutshell, I find it amazing that a car company such as Porsche would even have an issue with something as simple as a windshield.

My daily driver Honda's window doesn't squeak and it has three times the mileage. Ahhh, it must have a stiffer body that does not flex.

BTW, I started searching on the topic when I read appear's mods (Rattle rope) in the recent Mods thread. I PMed him and got some details.

I know RLer jakfrost who had a new Porsche windshield with seals installed at a Porsche dealer had creaking problems from day one of replacement. I can't remember what the solution was, but he was damn frustrated...and rightfully so.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

- one RLer asked "what actually causes the squeaks?
- another RLer came back with "I've been told that the squeaks are actually caused when the fuzzy surface on the underside of the outer seal wears off, but I don't know for sure."

Nobody has an answer with any certainty.

Therefore my comments that followed...in a nutshell, I find it amazing that a car company such as Porsche would even have an issue with something as simple as a windshield.

My daily driver Honda's window doesn't squeak and it has three times the mileage. Ahhh, it must have a stiffer body that does not flex.

BTW, I started searching on the topic when I read appear's mods (Rattle rope) in the recent Mods thread. I PMed him and got some details.

I know RLer jakfrost who had a new Porsche windshield with seals installed at a Porsche dealer had creaking problems from day one of replacement. I can't remember what the solution was, but he was damn frustrated...and rightfully so.
So, this is why I asked the question...

There are a few different solutions but it sounds like you have searched and found that.
The popular ones are the "rope" fix (actually from a 996 TSB) and Pedro's Ice Wax...

The lubricant method tends to be temporary but effective, length of fix probably depends on climate and miles driven. Some have had good luck with it

No car is perfect but the 993 is pretty dang close, IMO.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

No car is perfect but the 993 is pretty dang close, IMO.
I certainly wouldn't part with mine but I can at least admit and anyone has the right to complain about some shortcomings, and at the price they went for new, those issues are pretty inexcusable.

Its interesting to note that some/many owners of whatever, will defend their purchase to the upteenth degree, and the more it costs, the more they will defend those shortcomings...what shortcomings...what are you talking about, they say? I could give you plenty of examples from the BMW motorcycle forum with many who have their heads stuck in the sand. I wouldn't part with my BMW GSes either because they have some qualities that are very important to me, but there are some design flaws.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I did the new outer trim / rope fix on my 993TT on my front windshield.

Worked like a charm. Worked so well in fact, that for the first time ever, I noticed the rear window making a racket.

Bought a new outer rubber and more rope for the rear.

I now have something that I never thought I would since owning this car (since new). A dead quiet interior...whose sanctuary is only penetrated by the melodies of the engine and turbos.

I always thought the noise was the leather dash creaking and/or because it was a stiff car. Until I joined here that is.

This job requires more patience than skill. Tools required are a Popsicle stick or the like.

I have read not to use any lubricants, silicone etc as it contaminates the area around the windshield and wreaks havoc with paint adherence in the event a respray is required.

I would also let the sun warm the outer rubber trim before removal (old) and installation (new) to make it easier to work with and snap into the channel around the windshield.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I roped mine over a year ago. It's 90% better but I still get a bit now and then. Not enough to bother anyone but enough to remind me that I am driving an older P Car. I think of it as "Squeaky Patina"
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

So, I ordered and received the rope, but have not put it in yet because I don't quite understand how to go about it. Anyone care to explain in detail?

Quick Reply: Creaky windshield fixed with windshield "rope"