993 Forum 1995-1998

Mini CEO Challenges Porsche CEO for head-to-head 911 vs Mini at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Porsche didn't have to be so serious about it, did they? Sort of plays to the Porsche stereotype. They could have been just as light hearted and fun about it too. Sorry Porsche, but MINI won this round. It could easily been a tie. Loosen up a little

The Porsche video clip? Way cool, loved it, BUT....... Too bad Porsche AG doesn't have factory racing anymore and haven't for a while. Talk about a sore subject for real Porsche Enthusiasts as PAG continues to rest on past Laurels......

Shoot, now I have to Loosen up! lol
Old 06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the same thing during the Porsche video... all old footage

They could have been light-hearted and fun about it?
Really? Have you met Porsche? (rhetorical question, obviously)
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 458 Posts

MINI (for you JoAnne) 1. Porsche 0.

The old racing footage is going to come back at them. "At Porsche we used to race. We were damned good too. Now we sell SUVs and luxo-barges."

Wake up Porsche. Go back to racing. Start by supplying one base 911 for Road Atlanta June 21st.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, what a lost opportunity for Porsche to really come back and make this a win-win situation. What a lame response that was. It sure feels like a company ran by a bunch of old farts.

I'm now curious to see MINI's (Thanks JoAnne) response now. I wonder if they'll show up at RA on June 21st.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio993
yeah, what a lost opportunity for Porsche to really come back and make this a win-win situation. What a lame response that was. It sure feels like a company ran by a bunch of old farts.

I'm now curious to see MINI's (Thanks JoAnne) response now. I wonder if they'll show up at RA on June 21st.

I've got a feeling that MINI/BMW has a big ad campaign already thought out and it will be fun. This might just be the beginning. They probably covered all their bases if PCNA either said no or went along with it. Now they get to play with how PCNA just responded. Yep, win-win for MINI. Smart marketing by a young agency against the serious Almighty P.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Come on guys stock vs stock, the 997 will lap the MINI.

As some one who owns a modified 08 MCS, it's fast & really fun, but no 911! Even the 993 is faster then the MCS, except for maybe a Auto-X course.

If I was @ Porsche I would not have taken this seriously, they are not in the same class, by any means, really the only things they have in common are they are both fun to drive, & stir the sole.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 458 Posts

^^^^^^Ummm........I don't think that's the point. I'm pretty sure we all realize the 997 (or Boxster, Cayman...) will blow the MINI (see JoAnne, men can be taught!) away on a race track. This is/was just a PR stunt by MINI and I can't see how Porsche showing up could have done any damage to the brand. Instead, they come across looking bad. Just my opinion.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Too bad Porsche AG doesn't have factory racing anymore and haven't for a while. Talk about a sore subject for real Porsche Enthusiasts as PAG continues to rest on past Laurels
OT but...

I'm kind of glad they don't. Prototype racing has become a joke. Porsche made their point with the RS spyder, and spreading the drivers and tech amongst GT teams worldwide let's a lowly fan like me root for numerous independent teams (sure not all are loved the same way by Weissach but still). IMO If they dumped what little of the racing budget is left on a type 1 prototype the "small" guys would suffer and that would be a shame as I look forward to watching the P-cars battle BMW, Ferrari, Aston and more.

Back on topic... Mini (sic) challenge is chickensh*t, if BMW wants a race let them call out Porsche, with all stock sports cars, sedans and SUV's at Spa, RA and Suzaka (3 continents, 3 great tracks plenty of PR opportunity).

Instead they want a flying brake against an autobahn rocket in a tight parking lot, WTF? If porsche posted a video of a GT2RS beating a Mini clubwoman on the ring it would be sports car vs. nothing and Porsche would look bad. I liked the response and enjoyed the video.

Just my opinion, sorry if goes against the grain
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Nothing to be sorry about Erik. I don't agree with you, but we
all have a right to our opinion.

The MINI Challenge is just good marketing, nothing more,
and I still think it sucks that not only is there is some type of Porsche factory team, but Porsche doesn't even back privateers in racing anymore. That's okay, let them rest. Those Laurels are gonna get dried up and fall into a pile of dust one day... and then?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

That is great... All Marketing because they'd be crazy to run against Porsche at Road Atlanta... HP track. Perhaps Barber or Mid Ohio.

Check out his quich change of shirts particularly at the :42 sec, mark.. LOL

I'm local so I'll be at Road Atlanta if this were to happen....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM
bart1
Race Car

MINI should have entered a Cooper works car alongside the GT3RS at this years 24 at the Nurburgring. Stock except for tires and safety equipment, so a level playing field.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Maybe we want to leave the 993 out of it so we don't get our asses kicked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOpW...eature=related
Hey, that's me...

G.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche should have said= "No Coment"., and leave it like that.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

does anyone really care? Its not like I'm gonna go run out and buy a mini cause they challenged porsche.

Nor am I not gonna buy a porsche cause they said "go away".

Mini should focus on making their products reliable before they start making big boy challenges.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Hey, that's me...

G.
seriously? Cool... looks like you had a good time!

Quick Reply: Mini CEO Challenges Porsche CEO for head-to-head 911 vs Mini at Road Atlanta