993 Forum 1995-1998

Carseats - The definative list

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Carseats - The definative list

I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for something a little different.

I would like to start a list of children's car seats that do and do not fit in our cars. I am not looking for how to install them, that has been covered in great detail both here and on Pelican. I am just looking for which seats fit and don't fit as a reference to all of us looking for our little guys to ride with us.

I will kick things off:

Fit:
Graco ComfortSport Convertible. The seat fit really nicely on the rear seat while facing forward. My only complaint was the passenger seat had to be pretty far forward to keep my son from kicking the seat back. I am not sure how it would work behind the driver. I didn't try to install it rear facing, but based on how big the seat is I doubt it would fit.

Didn't Fit:
Graco Nautilus 3-in-1. The seat base was WAY to big.

Graco SnugRide Infant. The seat actually fits in the back seat, and I actually drove my son to Day Care twice. The first time I thought it was a good fit. The second I saw the error in my ways. While it fits, I do not feel the Porsche rear seat offers enough depth for the seat to be stable. While it can be done, I would not recommend it.

Looking forward to seeing some other information.
Thanks,
--Joe
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I also need to know, as the wife & I are expecting. When I first found out, my first response was " I'm not selling the 911's".

Isn't there a Porsche seat that you can get from the dealer?
The following users liked this post:
StasB (06-08-2020)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the Cosco with the mighty/tite and it works perfectly !!!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would also be useful to know to what extent removing the rear seat back gives more depth and would allow the car seat to fit better. And also whether using harness mounts combined with LATCH makes an otherwise ill-fitting car seat fit better - the US 3-point (since it is the older type belt) and the Euro 2-point lap belt makes getting a snug fit difficult.

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
I have been using the Cosco with the mighty/tite and it works perfectly !!!
Use of the Mighty-Tite is controversial...I'm not saying it's right or wrong, safe or unsafe...just that it's controversial.

Last edited by David in LA; 05-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:50 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thread.

FIT: Britax Diplomat (i installed using harness mounts so that I could use the LATCH attachments)

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...surements.html
Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Stealth,
Congratulations! That was one of the first things I talked to my wife about also! Actually I think it was threads like this that helped me keep my 993.

Renaud,
Which Cosco seat are you using?

David,
I would like to keep the thread focused on car seats and not installation of them. Mainly because there are some great threads about installing them.
Here are two of them.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...hild_seat2.htm
http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html

Last edited by Floodj; 05-19-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Had to eat breakfast with my son
Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the Cosco high back booster seat, the diplomat did not fit for me.
Then the seat had way too much lateral play and I thought of doing the modification for the tether but chickened out. I read a post here on the mighty/tite and I had to try different configuration but once I did it took out the seat belt play and now the seat is rock solid. I use it with my kid all the time.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

On the other hand, I have not seen the Mighty-Tite discussed very much...

I have read the controversy on them and I do not understand it. The Mighty-Tite is simply a device that turns your seat belts into ratchet straps. Once I saw them in a store I looked them over and they made perfect sense to me. I will agree you should not over tighten them as damage to your belts could occur; however, seat belts are tough customers and I wonder how tight for how long you would have to be to actually damage them.

So saying, I own two! In my travels with my boys I have found not all rental cars have LATCH or locking seat belts; when installing a car seat in a vehicle without LATCH or locking belts I feel the Mighty-Tite is the best answer. The statement above includes our 993.

Of course is my own opinion and not a legal endorsement; I have no quantitative data to back my opinion...blah blah blah...use at your own risk...blah blah blah.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

The Maxi-Cosi Mico infant seat also fits nicely in the back of the 993. It is rearward facing only though and utilizes a modular system. You basically anchor a removeable base down using either the seatbelts or a latch system (if you do the harness mount mod previously mentioned). The nice thing about this seat is that if you have numerous cars, you can buy bases seperately. This compact seat also can fit into a modular system with the Quinny Zapp stroller (very cool and compact folding model) or with adapters, can be used with the Bugaboo system as well. One thing of note, it will require you to move the passenger seat forward a ways to accomodate the infant seat when installed...so much so that it pretty much renders the front seat unusable.

For a convertible seat (ie. one that can be turned rear facing or forward facing), the Britax Roundabout is a good choice. I'd look into adding an anchor point for the tether, however.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Anyone able to fit two in the back?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Floodj
....I have read the controversy on them and I do not understand it. The Mighty-Tite is simply a device that turns your seat belts into ratchet straps. Once I saw them in a store I looked them over and they made perfect sense to me. I will agree you should not over tighten them as damage to your belts could occur; however, seat belts are tough customers and I wonder how tight for how long you would have to be to actually damage them.....
Aside from the potential seatbelt damage from overtightening issue (FYI in an accident, occupied seatbelts are replaced as the stress compromises future performance) the other potential issue is voiding the warrantee...but then again, putting on aftermarket wheels, suspension and exhaust void car warrantees I think the biggest concern most of the forums have listed is that the MT has not been tested by NHTSA and is not regulated so even if they were 100% safe there is no way that any vendor, agency or authority can "recommend" them without exposing themselves to potential liability.

Last edited by David in LA; 05-19-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
ericwatson
AutoX

I just installed a Britix Roundabout in my 1997 993 Cab. I took the base off of the carseat (this made it narrow enough to fit and used 2 of these http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/ so that I could use the latch system on the childseat as well as the seatbeat.

Total time to install was less then 15 minutes. What is great is that without a child in the carseat both front seats can go all the way back.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Eric - Did you remove the rear upper seat backs? If not, if you did do you think you would be able to position the seat even further back?

Pics please!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I spent about 10 hours on Rennlist and Pelican reading all the threads and it seems like the Britax Roundabout made every list, so that is what I purchased. It was relatively cheap (under $200) and the base fits perfectly on the rear seat bottom (although, as ericwatson states above, many people remove the base). I then attached harness mounts on either side of the rear seat bottom using the seat belt hardware and now use the LATCH system to attach the seat. Now my daughter beats on the garage door and screams "Orsha, orsha" when I'm at work because she wants to go for a ride.

Note that the Britax Roundabout is forward facing and therefore appropriate for kids 1 year of age and 25 lbs (don't quote me- I think that is the minimum weight). I know others have put rear facing seats in their 993s, but I couldn't figure it out.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

See how happy the "Orsha" makes her!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
StasB (06-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Carseats - The definative list