Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory fits perfectly.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I will start by saying that I do not have children nor do I know anything about them other than they are short That said, a friend of mine has two girls and he has Recaro booster seats in the rear of his 997 Turbo - here is the link:

http://www.recarochildseat.com/RECAR...at.pro#pp-tabs

He said they fit great and he really likes the side impact protection feature - they are also good for 30-120 lbs. I do not know if they would fit in a 993 though. Hope this helps someone.
See attached photo for the shot of the two Recaros in the back of Mike's 997.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Spidey 993

I tested this new one that recently came out from Babies-R-Us for $179.

FIT: Safety 1st Complete Air 65 CS.

Fit was perfect, didn't have to remove seat and it has side impact protection.
I was testing for my 5 year old at 40lbs, forward facing.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Recaros look like a great fit on the 997. Did any of you guys State side try this in a 993?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Factory seats here. Only issue to date is the kids complain of a sore bum after about 3 hours constant driving.

After 3 hour trip
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Based on a thread by Speedyellow993 I bought a Evenflo Chase (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Ch...ester/12960875) from Walmart. SY993 did say the seat didn't fit his kid well, but it does fit the 993 well. I read some other reviews and decided it was worth the risk. The results were good for me. It does fit the car well and my older son was comfortable in the seat. I installed it using my anchors and latch upgrade. I had to put a towel under and behind the car seat to get a good tight fit. I was pleased enough to order another one for my younger son.

--Joe
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM
doveq
Instructor

Default Safety 1st Complete Air

Hey... I just installed the Safety 1st Air Complete. I find it fit best out of all the ones Toys R Us carries. Britax also fit well, but I wasn't comfortable with the height factor... the top of the car seat was touching the rear window.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
doveq
Instructor

Default One more thing

One more thing... the biggest challenge in finding the right car seat isn't finding the right car seat!!! It's actually finding/making brackets to hook the safety harness properly.

No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the seat belt nice and snug using the factory seat belt. What I did was remove the factory belt and made myself a mount out of steel to hook the car seat into. Best alternative is the Rennline Safety Harness Mounts & Track Masks (see attached image).
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

To make such a chart a truly useful tool, it might be helpful to divide the seats into categories according to age, i.e. rear-facing infant seat, forward-facing, and finally booster seats, bearing in mind that the age/weight requirements obviously vary from country to country (possibly also state to state within the US, something I have no knowledge of). Also remember that cabriolets have significantly less room in the back.

I have a coupe, and both my boys have traveled in the back literally from birth, first in rear-facing Gracos, then in forward-facing Britaxes, and now in Recarro boosters.

However, I am truly shocked at the number of postings by Rennlisters complaining about the cost of child seats, and recommending the cheapest seats available at Walmarts etc. This from people who a) can afford a Porsche in the first place, and b) have no qualms about spending much more more on frivolous 'upgrades', often of a purely cosmetic nature. Please don't scrimp on your childrens' safety.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

However, I am truly shocked at the number of postings by Rennlisters complaining about the cost of child seats, and recommending the cheapest seats available at Walmarts etc. This from people who a) can afford a Porsche in the first place, and b) have no qualms about spending much more more on frivolous 'upgrades', often of a purely cosmetic nature. Please don't scrimp on your childrens' safety.
+ 4 1/2 (My son's age)
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I installed it using my anchors and latch upgrade
Do tell?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So just as an update, we looked at one of the smaller Recaros, but it wasn't a 5 point (relied on the car's 3 point). It fit great in the 993 (well, better than most), but I really want the 5 point. I ended up going with the Radian 80 SE or something...the upgraded model that has the head side protection.

It fits very snugly, and I got to investigating behind the passenger seats in the cab. There is a little metallic loop in the back just under the rear deck. Someone posted that it was just to secure the cab cover when the top is down. I pulled it back and looked at it and it appears to be welded to metal back there. So, I've clipped the tether back there too.

So between the narrow Radian, the tether clip, and the BK mounts I use similar to the pic above, it isn't going anywhere. HOWEVER, it ends up very far forward on the seat, so as he grows this could be an issue. He's a peanut, so so far it hasn't been bad, but since the seat we haven't driven more than about 40 miles in the seat, and I don't think any in the 993 (just rental cars). So, we'll have to see how this comes out as it get nicer out. I may end up having to go to a 3 point mount to get the seat more snug. I just haven't wanted to go there because if I go 3 point in the 993, there is no way I'd convince him to go back to a 5 point when we travel and the car seat fits in nice big rental cars.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

JPS,
I used this DIY (http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html) with a few mods. The whole project took about two hours, with help from our boys.

The only problem I have noticed is the upper points require a very short strap, it is actually hard to tighten the strap tight enough. I also used the Rennline anchor points. Once again the only trouble is getting seats with short enough straps to get them really tight. I think they are tight enough, but I would prefer them tighter.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 AM
jerdeg
AutoX

Originally Posted by Floodj
On the other hand, I have not seen the Mighty-Tite discussed very much...

So saying, I own two! In my travels with my boys I have found not all rental cars have LATCH or locking seat belts; when installing a car seat in a vehicle without LATCH or locking belts I feel the Mighty-Tite is the best answer. The statement above includes our 993.

Of course is my own opinion and not a legal endorsement; I have no quantitative data to back my opinion...blah blah blah...use at your own risk...blah blah blah.
I am trying to get two forward facing car seats (Radian 100) installed tightly in the back of my 997.2 cab. I bought the Mighty Tite, but don't see how it can work since there is basically no room to attach it to the seat belt -- the car seat sits right up against the side interior and the seat belt runs behind the car seat. Do you have any pictures of your Mighty Tite installation?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
The only problem I have noticed is the upper points require a very short strap, it is actually hard to tighten the strap tight enough. I also used the Rennline anchor points. Once again the only trouble is getting seats with short enough straps to get them really tight. I think they are tight enough, but I would prefer them tighter.
Me too. I'm going to get a strap something like the pic doveq posted. My wife (5'5") can sit in the passenger seat but there isn't any legroom to spare for her or my son. With a shorter latch the child seat will fit back into space a little better.

The seat is a Diono Radian RXT. The Radian has some kind of load absorbing mechanism that goes into the shoulder straps for forward facing lighter kids (20-40 lbs I think).

I used the Rennline anchors but modified them a bit to get the Latch to close/open securely and consistently.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Carseats - The definative list