993 Forum 1995-1998

Check this out, french'd suede

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 336 Likes on 150 Posts

We got a good deal on our Alcantara ~ 70 bucks a yard.
Not bad since we are only using it here and there and not everywhere.

Last edited by RJT; 04-25-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, congrats. I really do like the French seam stitching, it looks pretty classy.

I have Alcantara headliner in my AMG. My only concern with an Alcantara (or suede) dash is that every little speck of lint, dust, dirt, etc., sticks to it. It's not so easy to simply wipe off. You'll need to keep a lint brush in the car. The stuff is very durable otherwise.

Cleaning instructions according to Alcantara S.p.A
In order to preserve the beauty of Alcantara® it is recommended that regular cleaning is carried out.
Use a lint brush or a vacuum cleaner. Do not rub vigorously.
Clean the fabric with care; moisten a soft cloth or a sponge in clean water, wring it thoroughly and run it over the Alcantara® fabric, making sure not to wet it excessively. Rinse the cloth or sponge and repeat as necessary. Leave to dry overnight. Once dried, brush it delicately with a soft bristle brush.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As much as I really like the look of this finish in our cars I must warn you from a past experience about two things that make this a really impratical covering over time for dash boards and centre consoles:

1). Fade. Unfortunately even the highest quality Warwick version of this fabric has fade off. Black goes grey. Eventually the UV will rot the fabric.

2). Any moisture/sticky hands (kids or greasy hands from mechanic) will be almost impossible to remove from this finish even if sprayed with a scotchguard 3M protectant. Again for the dash and say lower Knee pad this is an issue.

3). Its a bitch to keep clean. Plan on havingb a sticky dry cleaners roller handy at all times - everything form dust to bits of cotton etc sheem to show up and arent easy to remove by hand.

It a lovely finish but better suited to seat inserts from a wear perspective. I you will be owning the car a long time and use it as a daily driver with family etc I would say it will not be the most practical product .

Cheers
M
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That is AWESOME! Love it! I thought about doing something like that on my C4S.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
We got a good deal on our Alcantara ~ 70 bucks a yard.
Not bad since we are only using it here and there and not everywhere.
Where did you pick up the Alcantara from? PM if you wish.

Thanks.....
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Where did you pick up the Alcantara from? PM if you wish.

Thanks.....
I won't speak for the person who started this thread, but I have bought it from Gulf Fabrics before. They are a major US importer of the stuff and have all colors in stock and ready to ship. They are set-up as a wholesale distributor and you have to fill out a credit card authorization for to buy from them, but straight forward otherwise.

You will also need to tell them if you want "Panel" Alcantara (which is thinner for conforming to the curves of a dash, headliner, door panel, etc) or "Seating" Alcantara (which is thicker and more durable for seats). There is a price difference, but it's small.....100/yd vs. 105/yd...or something like that.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer.

http://www.gulffabrics.com/

There is also a seller who has been selling it on eBay for a while now. They WERE listing it at $68/yd, but this last re-list, they upped it to $76/yd:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120559456719
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
I won't speak for the person who started this thread, but I have bought it from Gulf Fabrics before. They are a major US importer of the stuff and have all colors in stock and ready to ship. They are set-up as a wholesale distributor and you have to fill out a credit card authorization for to buy from them, but straight forward otherwise.

You will also need to tell them if you want "Panel" Alcantara (which is thinner for conforming to the curves of a dash, headliner, door panel, etc) or "Seating" Alcantara (which is thicker and more durable for seats). There is a price difference, but it's small.....100/yd vs. 105/yd...or something like that.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer.

http://www.gulffabrics.com/

There is also a seller who has been selling it on eBay for a while now. They WERE listing it at $68/yd, but this last re-list, they upped it to $76/yd:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120559456719
Thanks for the details, I am looking at doing some RS door panels in black.....

Quick Reply: Check this out, french'd suede