OT: 9m Project ........ Vespa???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default OT: 9m Project ........ Vespa???

Exhausted by the intensity of the soon-to-be-completed 9m93 Speedster Widebody project I though that you all could probably do with a bit of light relief. Hence, with the sole intention of putting a smile on eveyone's face in time for Summer, here's what I have been up to in my spare time of late.

To set the scene, some months ago when me and the wife asked our daughter JJ what she wanted for her 16th birthday, without a hint of doubt she proclaimed that she would like her own scooter (..and a race licence, but more on that later). Since UK law allows 16 year olds to ride a restricted 50cc motocycle or scooter, once we got over the shock we figured that JJ having her own transport would significantly reduce the load on the mum-taxi service & would probably be fun for us all to use from time-to-time, and that's how the project began.

As far as I can tell, JJ is a not like other kids of her age because she is happy to be an individual, likes style and respects traditional values; so in keeping with her passion for all things old (she stole my sunburst Strat some time ago & even listens to my Led Zep collection occasionally) she decided that she actually wanted a retro styled scooter that was "cool".

So, in true 9m style I after research what options were available, I drew up a shortlist of a Piaggio Vespa LX50, Vespa ET2 & the Aprilia Habana 50. The ET2 was eventually discounted on the grounds of the non-retro oval headlight, then looking at the prices asked for the other options I then spread my search to include a suitable project scooter that we both could work on together for a little quality father/daughter bonding....

.... and this is the "bargain" that I managed to pick up two weeks later. Please don't laugh too much
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wot tha...?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only bad thing I can see about this rig is that if someone gets behind her and hits their high beams, she'll be vaporized Sort of like a Dr. Who thing!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Needs just a few more mirrors

Impressive job retro-izing a modern LX 50. At first glance, I thought it was an old 2-stroker, but maybe those are illegal in the UK by now. My choice for her would be a bus pass followed by a 914, but at least have her take a motorcycle safety course.

My own 3 year old daughter just had oral surgery today. Just the thought can cripple any parent, so I'm a little more appreciative and protective of my daugther today than yesterday, if that's even possible!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, so why would I buy a scooter that looked like this? Well, apart from the fact that I like a challenge, underneath all these subtle "extras" there is a one-owner, 12/06 registered Vespa that has only 6000 on the clock which I managed to buy for less than half its' book value, thus giving me and JJ the headroom to pay for the rebuild & repaint.

So then you have to ask why the original owner would do such a thing to a new Vespa LX? Apparently this is all to do with some bizarre attempt to recreate a Mod style scooter as made famous by the film Quadrophenia, here's an explaination that I found on the net:
http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogsp...-scooters.html
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcdude
Needs just a few more mirrors

Impressive job retro-izing a modern LX 50. At first glance, I thought it was an old 2-stroker, but maybe those are illegal in the UK by now. My choice for her would be a bus pass followed by a 914, but at least have her take a motorcycle safety course.

My own 3 year old daughter just had oral surgery today. Just the thought can cripple any parent, so I'm a little more appreciative and protective of my daugther today than yesterday, if that's even possible!
Know where you are coming from, unfortunately in the UK you cannot drive a car before you are 17yrs old; furthermore insurance companies will not touch a 17yr old in anything over 1200cc and will even charge the best part of £1500 for a year's insurance on them for the privilege of driving the slowest car on the road, so a scooter is the only available option other than a bus pass. The good news is that for all new riders they have to take a compulsory bike training course & test (CBT) before they can ride, so JJ's booked in for her's at the end of the month.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by NineMeister
...Apparently this is all to do with some bizarre attempt to recreate a Mod style scooter as made famous by the film Quadrophenia
Absolutely my first thought upon seeing the photos.

And on that ♪note♫:
Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So, I set off with Sarah in the works van early doors on Easter Saturday morning to buy the wee beastie from the garage advertising it before I had the chance to change my mind. It started first time on the kick start, everything worked (apart from the extra fitted lights) and it had a new 12 month MOT certificate, so with no excuses left we loaded it up the ramps into the back and laughed all the way home.

For some unfathomable reason, JJ was ecstatic when we opened the doors:
Attached Images      
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

That's just sweet.

A more apropos video (albeit crappy quality (best I could find, and I think the performance makes up for it.))

Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Augustus Davies

...you need more accessories.....
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, it does look sweet; that is, until you get up close.

OK, if this was a 1970's Vespa or Lambretta I may be able to understand the Mod styling, but unfortunately for a 16yr old girl this is just not going to cut it with her friends, so the only way forward is to rebuild the LX into something a little less radical in the accessories department yet retaining it's own sense of modern, unique cool.

Hence, take a long last look at the chrome, 'cause it's all coming off and is destined for Ebay.
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Very much the "Mods" scooter ... may be I old enough to remeber the Mods v Rockers fights in Brighton !!...The Who music and Quadraphinia

It looks better than the Puch 50cc moped I started on at 16yrs old in 1975 ..soon after helmets became compulsory in the UK

Just wait until she askes for something bigger at 17 ... luckily my two sons show no interest in bikes (unlike their dad at their age)
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Lectra
Advanced

Über kool !

Quadrophenia ftw
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed!

Quick Reply: OT: 9m Project ........ Vespa???