Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection - too late? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Paint protection - too late? Recommendations?

I bought my 993 about 4 years ago, w/ 16K miles. I am starting to regret not getting clear bra installed when I got it. The paint (which I believe to be original) is still in great shape, but is starting to get stone chipped with increased track use and mileage.

Here's my question: do you think it would be worth getting a clear bra installed at this stage? How late is too late?

I am planning a full detail this spring to get rid of fine scratches/swirl marks, and am thinking of following up with clear bra on the hood, side mirrors, front fenders, lights and signals.

Feels like the 'last chance' to preserve original paint.

Any comments from those that have done it on paint that is not 100% perfect? I'll cross-post in the detailing forum as well.

Best,

Matt
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
mike5876
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

not too late..prevents more chips and the film comes off whenever you want to take it off
i install expel film for a living..id get either expel or venture shield if i was you..both are clear coated and have 7 year warranty
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have it detailed and prepared nicely, fix up the nicks as best possible, then wrap her up. you'll be preserving the patina!!! but it wont get worse. if you touch up , spray anything , make sure it cures big time before putting on film.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks Mike and Steve. Good advice.

I will be replacing (painting) my bumper in the fall, but will get the hood/fenders/sideviews/headlights and signals done now. Will be sure to let the paint cure well before doing the new parts in time for next season.

Best,

Matt
Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I can't speak from experience but I know many that have installed a clear bra on paint that has had a few minor chips. The clear bra will actually help hide some of the chips.

Keep in mind that a clear bra will also need to be cared for and it scratches pretty easily. I have it installed on my DD and it's more sensitive to scratching than the paint.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

What color is your car? You can do touch up on the chips, then clear bra. The bra will hid the clip fixes & make it look flawless.

If it's a dark car, fix the chips! If not they will stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I touched-up the chips, had it completely detailed, then had front bumper/hood cleared as soon as I got it last Spring, and that was at 29k. I think its a good move.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM
DanL993
button queen

How timely!! Mine has 26K+ and I have been considering excactly the same approach. This is great help.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I can't speak from experience but I know many that have installed a clear bra on paint that has had a few minor chips. The clear bra will actually help hide some of the chips.

Keep in mind that a clear bra will also need to be cared for and it scratches pretty easily. I have it installed on my DD and it's more sensitive to scratching than the paint.
This is good information. I had mine done at 19K miles. If I had to do it again I would go without. The 3M does mark easily and it's a pain when it comes to detailing the car. In hindsight, I would just live with the chips, touch them up as you go and respray when you can't take it anymore!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

The only thing that needs "protection" IMHO is the bumper. considering you aqre getting it resprayed in the fall I wouldnt bother. I only have a few nicks on the hood and on the edge near the wipers otherwise and have never seen the need for protection elsewhere. The bumper cover does take a beating though. I'm pretty **** about my car too, but the nicks in the clear bra would be just as annoying as a nick in the bumper itself. Repainting or re-clear-bra'ing runs within a $150~ or so from each other so I don't bother with it.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
The only thing that needs "protection" IMHO is the bumper. considering you aqre getting it resprayed in the fall I wouldnt bother. I only have a few nicks on the hood and on the edge near the wipers otherwise and have never seen the need for protection elsewhere. The bumper cover does take a beating though. I'm pretty **** about my car too, but the nicks in the clear bra would be just as annoying as a nick in the bumper itself. Repainting or re-clear-bra'ing runs within a $150~ or so from each other so I don't bother with it.
I tend to agree. Putting on a clear bra is just like a clear coat that will get chips, too, and then it's taking it off and re-doing it, etc.. For the amount of chips the paint gets, it makes sense to just re-spray if/when needed. And you don't get that telltale clear bra look, plus it's easier to detail.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The only real purpose of a clear bra is to keep the paint original. If that isn't a priority I would suggest having the front end resprayed every few years.

I know I'll take a beating on this forum for this next comment but I'm a glutton for punishment so here goes.

Since I drive and show my car I use a Porsche bra on longer distance trips. Yeah it's ugly but the front end stays perfect and I don't have spend extra time cleaning up the bug juice after a blast through the back country roads.

I've seen many clear bra installations and very few have truly impressed me. It's a pain to keep wax from building up on the edges and as others have mentioned the clear bra does show marks from where the rocks hit it. Again this is speaking from experience on my DD. I also noticed that the bra shrinks slightly with time and leaves a residue on the paint which is very difficult to remove. It's a good solution for a DD but I prefer the regular bra for the Sunday driver/show car. YMMV
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The only real purpose of a clear bra is to keep the paint original. If that isn't a priority I would suggest having the front end resprayed every few years.

I know I'll take a beating on this forum for this next comment but I'm a glutton for punishment so here goes.

Since I drive and show my car I use a Porsche bra on longer distance trips. Yeah it's ugly but the front end stays perfect and I don't have spend extra time cleaning up the bug juice after a blast through the back country roads.

I've seen many clear bra installations and very few have truly impressed me. It's a pain to keep wax from building up on the edges and as others have mentioned the clear bra does show marks from where the rocks hit it. Again this is speaking from experience on my DD. I also noticed that the bra shrinks slightly with time and leaves a residue on the paint which is very difficult to remove. It's a good solution for a DD but I prefer the regular bra for the Sunday driver/show car. YMMV
That is so true . This is what I found to work best IMO . Customize vinyl bumper bra to cover RS splitters , RS air ducts , side mirrors and hood bra.. Make sure you take bras off at the end of every day and clean n dry every time ( this is important as not to damage paint from debris , condensation and heat ) . Have stone guard and the rear half of all fender wells have clear bra . Keep in mind this car has almost 130k miles she is not a garage queen
The other thing about original paint is when you get a front fender , hood repainted pay extra $$ and ask all old paint stripped off and confuse those guys with paint meters .
Attached Images   

Last edited by briefescape; 04-12-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

There are a couple of different types of clear bra.

My C4S has Venturshield. I had the whole front end done, whole hood, whole bumpers. There is about 3 lines on the whole front end. If I don't point it out, you will not know it's there.

The clear bra is easier to detail, I only have to polish the back end of the car, it has held up wonderfully. the very front end has a couple of nics. But when I had the front end repainted, it got a couple of nics on it's drive home form the paint shop. The clear bra should last quite a long time before it needs to be replaced, when it does, I'll just do the parts that are messed up, like the lower Aero Kit II lip.

If the bra gets just scratched, you can heat it up, & the scratch will go away.

If you want to repaint the front end every couple of years, that fine. I didn't want to. My bra has been on there for 2+ years now, & only has 2-3 nics in it. Vs 10-15 from driving with out it.

In my case, I wanted my black car to look at perfect as possible, & still be able to drive it with out worry.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
The 3M does mark easily and it's a pain when it comes to detailing the car. !
Hi could you elaborate a bit as to why "it's a pain when it comes to detailing the car"? How is cleaning / polishing clear bra more of a pain than doing the same for paint? In my "limited" experience, 1 detail, i found the clear bra section faster to detail than the painted section.
The biggest drawback i saw was that defects can't be polished out in most cases like they can in paint.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
My C4S has Venturshield. I had the whole front end done, whole hood, whole bumpers. There is about 3 lines on the whole front end. If I don't point it out, you will not know it's there.

If the bra gets just scratched, you can heat it up, & the scratch will go away.
Hey Stealth, since i'm just adding AeroKit II stuff to my car and i too " want my Iris Blue car to look at perfect as possible, & still be able to drive it with out worry. " I'm going to cover the front B/C / hood / fenders.

Please tell me a bit about heating it up to remove scratches. Do you use a clothes iron or low heat soldering iron or?

I know you AX your car(s), do you also AX the black 4S? If so, do you tape the clear bra @ events........ where does it all end?

thanks

Craig

Quick Reply: Paint protection - too late? Recommendations?