Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection - too late? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would like to chime into the detailing discussion. I go the track quite regularly as the original poster is intending. It is always much more difficult to clean the 3M fender stone guards from rubber marks and other tar than the pure paint in the front. This made me staying away from a bigger clear bra solution.

I am generally using "green stuff" with good success on the original paint. Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I would like to chime into the detailing discussion. I go the track quite regularly as the original poster is intending. It is always much more difficult to clean the 3M fender stone guards from rubber marks and other tar than the pure paint in the front. This made me staying away from a bigger clear bra solution.

I am generally using "green stuff" with good success on the original paint. Thoughts?
That will strip all the protection you have on the car. Best thing is just a little bit of light polish or cleaner wax. Even a quick detailer can take it all off, but usually only if you got some good wax already on the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Since I drive and show my car I use a Porsche bra on longer distance trips. Yeah it's ugly but the front end stays perfect and I don't have spend extra time cleaning up the bug juice after a blast through the back country roads.

I've seen many clear bra installations and very few have truly impressed me. It's a pain to keep wax from building up on the edges and as others have mentioned the clear bra does show marks from where the rocks hit it. Again this is speaking from experience on my DD. I also noticed that the bra shrinks slightly with time and leaves a residue on the paint which is very difficult to remove. It's a good solution for a DD but I prefer the regular bra for the Sunday driver/show car. YMMV
These are pretty much my thoughts too. I use the Porsche vinyl bra on the hood, bumper and mirror covers for trip. For local trips I use just the hood portion and touch up chips on the bumper as they come. I've bought a 10 foot strip of 6" xpel clear that I will be putting on the lower portion of the wheel arches. You can buy it on-line for less than $3 a foot. It's pretty easy to install and cheap enough you can always pull it off and try again. I might even try some on the lower edge of the bumper.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Roger can you post a link to where you bought the xpel? I'm thinking of using something like this on my rocker panels between shows.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
These are pretty much my thoughts too. I use the Porsche vinyl bra on the hood, bumper and mirror covers for trip. For local trips I use just the hood portion and touch up chips on the bumper as they come. I've bought a 10 foot strip of 6" xpel clear that I will be putting on the lower portion of the wheel arches. You can buy it on-line for less than $3 a foot. It's pretty easy to install and cheap enough you can always pull it off and try again. I might even try some on the lower edge of the bumper.
I completely agree about protecting the bottom 1/4th of the wheel arches. I can believe how much of a beating they take. I re-spray mine once every 18 months or so. It's not the aesthetics I'm concerned about, its the rust that can occur.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Fred, when you repaint your wheel arches, are you using regular automotive paint? I wonder if a rubberized/slightly textured finish would be more durable.

Anyone tried it?

M
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Roger can you post a link to where you bought the xpel? I'm thinking of using something like this on my rocker panels between shows.
Sure, here you go: https://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Fred, when you repaint your wheel arches, are you using regular automotive paint? I wonder if a rubberized/slightly textured finish would be more durable.

Anyone tried it?

M
I'm using regular automotive spray paint bought from Paint Scratch. There are two shadow-lines to paint within (fender lip and horizontal crease) and its quite easy and quick. I sand with 320 grit, mask with 3M vinyl masking tape, prime, sand, re-prime, then two light top coats and clear. Start to finish it's a 2.5 hour job. The time is mostly eaten up by watching the paint dry between coats (20 minutes per coat).

Quick Reply: Paint protection - too late? Recommendations?