Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Experts C'mon In......Got It Back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
This is because no one has any pride in their work any more. They expect the average consumer to accept marginal work because that person will not see a problem. This is why quality paint shops have such a hard time staying in business, because the normal clientele is not going to spend the extra $$ to go the extra mile...
Bingo!

Sorry they stuck it to you a bit Cactus. That sucks but if you get out with work you are happy with that is a good outcome.

I feel your paintwork pain, sir.
I had my 964 front end resprayed and the shop had "issues" with the finish. I had to go back 3 times before they got it right. Total pain.
If they would have tried to jack the price on me I might have snapped.
It was bad enough having to get the body shop dust out of the interior.
Every time I went in, the window was down.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a paint and body guy that takes care of my commercial trucks. He has two prices, $200 and $400. He has no idea what orange peel is or what "straight" means and his two prices are for any kind of work. If I want quality I deal with a longtime friend that has an exotic Italian paint booth that cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars. He knows the difference, but his painter has no f#$king clue... Sooooo my cars have not had any paintwork since I've owned them!!! He painted my 300 after it was crashed and that thing was 6 different shades of metallic grey. It was "flip flop/ bowling ball'd" without that as the goal...

Last edited by JDHertz11; 04-17-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:39 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dood, I'm so happy that they got it right! Though I call BS on the labor only line... not to rile you up, but if the quote doesn't say T&M, they should eat the poor matches provided by their painter/mixer/supplier. (or you can just be happy that its right an move on)
Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

I am happy that it is done and looks good but it still sucks that they hosed me. I have been working like a mad man at work and had some extra money set aside for this project and the rest I was going to use to have my wheels refinished. Oh well that paint better be strong.......
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 AM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very glad to hear the paint looks right (finally). Two months from now you'll care less about the money but smile everytime you walk up to your car. And the paint shop's approach will catch up with them.

Long live the CW.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Oh well that paint better be strong.......
I agree...

Andreas
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

And you thought your bumper looked like $h!t? How much will your guy charge to match the paint on this one?
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
And you thought your bumper looked like $h!t? How much will your guy charge to match the paint on this one?
He'll tell you $800 but charge you $1200. My rectal cavity is still sore from the screwin I received.......
Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always Maaco if things dont pan out.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Glad you have the CW back and in fine looking shape.

Final price charged (changed) is a bummer, but as others have said, "carma" will catch up with them. Focus on beauty of the car and enjoy the fresh look.

Thanks for sharing the journey.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paa502
Very glad to hear the paint looks right (finally). Two months from now you'll care less about the money but smile everytime you walk up to your car. And the paint shop's approach will catch up with them.

Long live the CW.
The Car looks shiny now because it was just sprayed and hasn't completely dried yet (still wet). The quality of the job will show In two months. Check it out more closely when all the coats of primer and top coats have dried (shrunk).
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPD YLO
The Car looks shiny now because it was just sprayed and hasn't completely dried yet (still wet). The quality of the job will show In two months. Check it out more closely when all the coats of primer and top coats have dried (shrunk).
Agreed. I dealt with this nightmare many, many years ago when I paid for a full re-spray. A few months later I started noticing sanding marks all over the roof of the car...

Andreas
Old 04-18-2010, 03:01 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

You know, this thread is really interesting when you sit both sides of the fence: i.e. a Porsche owner/enthusiast & a bodyshop part-owner.

In respect of the cost of repairs, in the past we used to estimate jobs based on what we could see of the car before we started work on it, only to find time & time again that panels which looked OK on first inspection subsequently had previous repairs or repaints which needed more time spending on them to sort out the bodged work. From experience we know that if your spray over multiple layers of paint you are asking for trouble because the paint edges will undoubtedly map out through the new paint some time in the future (perhaps as it has done on Adreas' roof), therefore the only way 9m will repaint any panel is if we strip it back to factory primer or metal, because then (and only then) can you have complete control of the job and guarantee the longevity of the finish.

It's a similar requirement on plastic parts like the front bumpers, on many occasion we have found 7 or 8 layers of paint on a PU and had to advise the customer to buy a new one for us to paint with one layer because it will work out cheaper than paying for hours of labour to sand through layers & layers of paint, only to find a damaged & repaired part underneath it all.

Absolute quality takes time, and since time cost money if customers are not prepared to pay for this time then the stance that 9m takes is that we decline the job. That said, if we do get free reign to do the job properly & the customer fully authorises whatever work we find necessary, in the unlikely event that something does go wrong for any reason, we would sort it all out at our own expense.

So, it's not just about taking pride in your work, a lot of the time shops will quote you a price that you can afford rather than a price to do the perfect job - hence the biggest mistake they make is simply not explaining the difference.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
There's always Maaco if things dont pan out.
Exactly. If he had wanted cheap and dirty there are other choices. Maaco would likely have matched the paint though.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Colin's comprehensive response.
Well said!

Andreas

Quick Reply: Paint Experts C'mon In......Got It Back!