Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Experts C'mon In......Got It Back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Paint Experts C'mon In......Got It Back!

So I took the Cactuswagen in for some work and the shop is having trouble matching the paint. I had them remove the front bumper and fill the license plate holes and also remove the 1B side skirts, repaint them and refit them because the adhesive was separating from the body. Anyway they sprayed the parts and I stopped in to drop off some parts and they looked great until they put them on. They said it wasn't close so they tried another sample and sprayed one of the skirts and called me in to look. Way too red compared to the car. Another thing that I questioned is the fact that they are using clearcoat and my car is single stage which even though it is low miles and the paint is in great shape it will still fade over time. My question is what happens if they can't get a match? BTW they were using the gas flap as their sample.

Also they let my battery go dead by leaving the hood unlatched......totally recharged it overnight then did the same thing again...........

Last edited by Cactus; 04-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had my nose done by a local generic bodyshop and was pretty suspect on his ability to use their spectrometer to match the Arctic Silver. Damned if I can tell a difference...............
Old 04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh man... no fun Cactizzle.

A good shop can match paint... takes some trial and error unless they get lucky. GR is a tough one.
Many shops will want to blend in adjacent panels to get it done. At least it's not a metallic!

I wouldn't want a clearcoat on a car without it.

My .02c
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD

A good shop can match paint... takes some trial and error unless they get lucky. GR is tough
+1

My car has a clear
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
+1

My car has a clear
+2
if they can match mine (metallic - rasp. red/clearcoat), a good pro shop should be able to do GR.
(3rd brakelight delete/respray of F&R bumpers)

Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cactus: It CAN be matched. Whether they can match is another issue. I have had experiences both ways. The guys that are good can do it! Do not accept it unmatched, as it will bug the **** out of you every time you approach the wagon. Again, DO NOT ACCEPT less.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Raptor is correct - the issue is your shop's ABILITY to match - GR can most certainly be matched - even to a current fade. I think the highest suspect color to match is Arctic Silver as Ken mentioned. I was suspect as well at one point with an Arctic Silver match on a previous car, and it came out perfect.

GR match + competent shop = No problem.

Take it somewhere else if you have to, but do not accept a red mismatch.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another mention...although everyone's monitor will display colors within pictures differently, I can tell from that shot of your front bumper that is WAY off from GR. Looks to be a much deeper red than GR on all 3 of my PC monitors.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

I had the front of my Riviera Blue repainted and it also is a one stage paint . They had a problem matching the paint but somehow they solved the problem by mixing a blend of clear coat together with the blue paint and viola an exact
match .

So I believe if they know their stuff they can match it .

Cheers Guy
Old 04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Apparently GUARDS RED can also be INDISCHROT (also known as Indian Red) to Porsche. On my paint code label both descriptions are used. Thing is Guards Red paint code is 80K G1 whilst Indischrot is G3/LM3A/G1 or 84A/M3A in metallic. Confused? You will be, see this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-the-same.html

Hope it helps.
GR
Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 551 Likes on 374 Posts

Cactus,

They should be able to match it. If you get a good match now, it will likely age fine since you take such good car of the paint anyway. Be sure to also look at the car in direct sunlight. You can get a good match in the booth, but occasionally it will look different in direct sunlight. "reds" are tricky, but be patient and it'll all work out.

Just had a cosmetic re-spray to bumper and fender last week..it's that time.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:10 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they paint a test card and compare it to your car after the card dried? The card should have been shot and then compared to your car in direct sunlight. The clear should not make a difference in color match but it may have more of a shine compared to single stage. Red can be a bit tricky to match but it can be done. I sent you a PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Are you sure they're using the correct formula for GR? The photo you posed doesn't look like GR to me. The reason I suggest this is because I had my '66 912 repainted once...It was a dark blue but the repaint came out an irredescent peacock blue. Then they looked at the code again and realized they used to wrong formula....Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Contrary to popular beleif, the best way to judge a match on any red car is at night and not sunshine.
Red is tough.
AND do not let them blend the other panels. I would rather there was a slight bumper mismatch than ruin the fenders and bonnet aswell.
Good luck.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

My front bumper is the same as yours and is a perfect match. It can be done, as others have said.

Quick Reply: Paint Experts C'mon In......Got It Back!