PSS10 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Honestly, the most durable/economical-in-the-long-run thing for a street/dual purpose car is to use a non-adjustable custom valved by someone who knows what the hell he's doing, tailored to the spring you'll be using. But in the glory of saving a couple hundred............
The problem is the dual use...I like to use soft around my place due to the rough roads, and firm it up on the track.......
Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine are not like that, do you think these might be factory seconds?
Both of mine are like this & after a year have had 0 issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen :O)
I'd go along with that after seeing Mike J's post, I have a set waiting to be fitted to my car and these are in perfect condition supplied by a Bilstein dealer here in the UK; my suspicions would definitely be in the direction of the carriers, these boxes are heavy and who knows how they've been knocked about prior to delivery, stupid question I know but did anyone check for damage to the packaging prior to fitting?

Upon receipt of the goods the first thing I checked was the packaging for any transit damage then the adjusters on the front dampers for the same. Then if any suspected damage refuse delivery.

It's quite possible of course that there is a quality control issue, so I'll watch how this all turns out.

Sorry to hear this though guys, hopefully it'll be sorted in a way that suits all parties quickly.
If the units can't consistently withstand shipping, then design, QA/QC, and/or packing are the root cause(s).
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, FD Motorsports has started selling KW Variant 3s for a reasonable price. For those that are considering a suspension upgrade, I encourage you to give Darin and Mark a call.

Mine are set to arrive next week - can't wait

Cheers,
Joe
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Zuffenhausen :O)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did you test all the *****, setting from 1 to 9? How did the indents feel? That was our first clue, the front shots had virtually no indents when adjusted.

When Bob showed up with his box, it was as shipped from Amazon...cardboard box, slightly scuffed, certainly no dents/dings, or signs of trauma. Inside this box was the Bilstein box, and it was cushioned with the shipping air bags they use these days.

The Bilstein box is the brightly colored thin cardboard like paper box that is just a product sleeve over the real cardboard box inside. The Bilstein box was scuffed up and slightly ripped...it looked like it was abused a bit. However, the final shipping box, contained inside the Bilstein box, was untouched, and had two factory plastic straps and tape seal intact. These are the black plastic straps that are melted together, so they need to be cut to be removed.

We cut the straps, cut the seal holding the flaps, and opened the box. Each shock (and the sway bar strap) were in their own bubble wrap bags, no sign of trauma. We pulled each shock out of its bag to check to make sure all the parts were there, and to check the valve. That is were we saw the problem.

So, given the inside box was perfect, to me it does not look like a shipping problem, but that the shocks were shipped this way from the factory. Given the plastic straps, it also does not appear that anyone opened the box since the shocks were first made.

It appears that the QC at Bilstein sucks big time, and their design is not robust.

Cheers,

Mike
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen :O)
It's quite possible of course that there is a quality control issue, so I'll watch how this all turns out.
Yes thanks Mike, I checked the dampers carefully all working as should, packaging was as new too with no sign of any damage; the condition of the packaging in your case at least clears up that point, its now difficult to argue the damage to the dampers was indeed caused in transit, hence the earlier question.

Regarding the damper design not being robust Id suggest waiting to see what the cause of the damage was (if there's an answer) before jumping to any conclusions, others here have received their dampers without the issues you've found yourself in, believe me I'd like to know what it's all about too.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,..

We've had minimal issues with PSS-9's and none with PSS-10's as of yet and we do sell, install and ship quite a few sets of these.

Bilstein's warranty department has treated us very well over the past 25+ years and thats one of the main reasons why we offer these (as well as Motons) since product support is one of THE most critical aspects of any suspension package.

If purchased through an authorized dealer, Bilstein does a good job of standing behind their product and thats all one can ask. The US limited lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects quite nicely.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with Amazon. They stated the set I purchased was sent directly from them and not one of their retailers. They did state however they buy them from a authorized Bilstein distributor and not from Bilstein directly. They are going to give me a full refund and I do believe I am going to try something else besides Bilstein. The ***** apper to be poorly designed and I am not going through this head ache again!

Here is Amazons response. I can not complain about their customer service:

"Hello this is Jennifer from Amazon.com,

Per our conversation this afternoon, Amazon.com obtains some of its products through third party distributors, a practice that is common among large and small retailers alike. These products are identical to directly sourced products in every respect, and come with fully valid warranties.

If you are unable to work something out with the manufacturer, we will be happy to arrange a UPS pickup for you. Once we get the defective item back, we will issue a full refund back to your credit card.

We would also be happy to create a replacement order for you at no additional charge if you would prefer to do that. We would still arrange for UPS to pick the defective item up.

It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I hope you are able to work something out with the manufacturer. Let us know if you need any additional help!

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?"
Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mine are not like that, do you think these might be factory seconds?
Both of mine are like this & after a year have had 0 issues.
Your dial looks like the silver bolt is getting ready to punch through. Is it raised where I see the circle on the blue dial in the picture ?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Zuffenhausen :O)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
I spoke with Amazon. They stated the set I purchased was sent directly from them and not one of their retailers. They did state however they buy them from a authorized Bilstein distributor and not from Bilstein directly. They are going to give me a full refund and I do believe I am going to try something else besides Bilstein. The ***** apper to be poorly designed and I am not going through this head ache again!
Now correct me if I'm wrong........

Dampers shipped from Germany, arrive at Bilstein USA, shipped out to Bilstein dealer, shipped out to Amazon, shipped out to customer, now that's quite a long shipment in total, and what I'm not suggesting is that you've not been give a rough ride larpy, what I am suggesting is that perhaps something did go awry in transit, nothings perfect all of the time.

Steve Weiner has given a pretty strong indication that all the PSS10 items he's supplied and or installed have not had issues as of yet, perhaps you've just been a bit unlucky? Either way I hope you sort it all out to your satisfaction larpy.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been thinking about putting PSS-10's on my Turbo. Glad I read this thread. Back to the drawing board. I think I'll have a look at some alternatives.

Glad it worked out for you Larpy
Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Bilstein just called and confirmed this is the 4th set this week from Amazon with the same problem. They are trying to determine where they are coming from. I do not think it has anything to do with be damaged in shipping. I think there is a bad apple somewhere. I shall find the apple and crush him
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW when I bought my HDs, one of the fronts had a broken bolt at the top. The top part is hollow and it broke off right where the hollow portion ends. Seems like a poor design to save very little metal, in any event, it was under warranty and they replaced it, but it cost me a day to ship parts back and forth.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
Your dial looks like the silver bolt is getting ready to punch through. Is it raised where I see the circle on the blue dial in the picture ?
No, they are totally flat, & fine. I just adjusted them a couple of weeks ago for a Auto-X practice. Mine were purchased from Tirerack. Really I can't see how the bolt punched through, maybe it is a defect. My adjusters are burly, have great notching, & feel like quality billet aluminum.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 PM
DryFly
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just checked mine.....

Good and 'Notchy' on the rears and a bit less so on the fronts, but can still feel the clicks. Bought mine last June from Vortex for $2,390 incl shipping.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
??
Sorry Bob, I meant Bob. Bob Makela that is (we live in the same neighborhood).

Quick Reply: PSS10 Troubles