Sponsored by:

PSS10 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSS10 Troubles

I recently installed the PSS10s on my 993 and went to adjust the settings today on the fronts. I twisted the **** and the damn things fell off! The rears were fine but the fronts are defective. You will notice in the pictures that the shock's dial on the driver's side has a silver hex head bolt sticking through it. That screw actually punched through the blue dial from inside the shock according to Bilstein after I sent them these pictures. Bilstein could not believe it. I am waiting for there determination on what they are going to do although I am not worried as they are a pretty good company.
Attached Images     
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Nice backing plates!

Andreas
Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Bob Makela
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rear shocks were fine but one of the front shocks had the same defect. I noticed it when I compared the two front shocks and saw the ***** were different. But while the **** on the other front shock was fine visually it didn't click into position, it just theaded in and out like any machine screw so there is something wrong with it too. Amazon.com is prepared to exchange the entire kit but I 've been in contact with Bilstein warranty department to see if I can exchange the two front shocks with a local distributor here in Canada. I'm trying to get the entire shock replaced, an impact like that might have done some internal damage too, who knows. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Nice backing plates!

Andreas

I knew if anyone were to notice it would be you I had them powder coated when I had the calipers done. I put a little "Snizzel" in the car.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Makela
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rear shocks were fine but one of the front shocks had the same defect. I noticed it when I compared the two front shocks and saw the ***** were different. But while the **** on the other front shock was fine visually it didn't click into position, it just theaded in and out like any machine screw so there is something wrong with it too. Amazon.com is prepared to exchange the entire kit but I 've been in contact with Bilstein warranty department to see if I can exchange the two front shocks with a local distributor here in Canada. I'm trying to get the entire shock replaced, an impact like that might have done some internal damage too, who knows. I'll keep you posted.
Lesson learned. If others are going to buy a PSS10 setup buy them from Fister D!! I should have known that the price was too cheap on Amazon. You have described exactly what mine did. I will keep you posted on how mine turn out. Bilstein is a great company so I firmly belive they will take care of me.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Makela
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the lost labor installing this junk?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
What about the lost labor installing this junk?

I agree but my mechanic was cheap
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by larpy
I agree but my mechanic was cheap
I don't F-ing believe this crap
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I don't F-ing believe this crap

Well, I guess the old saying "You get what you pay for" is true but I am trying to stay optimistic. I did notch the brake line assembly on the shock to get the lines out. I was not going to bleed the brakes again. On a positive note it only took me approximately 5 minues to get the driver side assembly out. It is amazing how fast one works when they are pissed off! I hope to have a response from Bilstein tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

I hope to have a response from Bilstein tomorrow.
Heads should roll....
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I hope to have a response from Bilstein tomorrow.
I sure hope they do respond -- after several quality issues I have had with many PSS9 kits and trying to deal with Bilstein in Poway, I have not been impressed.

We've installed a few PSS10 kits and I was hoping we were done with messing around with low quality stuff as I really thought the 10 kit was much improved over the 9.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks for the post Larpy.

I have 9's on my Boxster, and have been considering 10's for my 993 - depending on your experience as an input in my decision...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Bob Makela
Track Day

Shucks, the reason I went with Bilstein was because I was led to believe it was a quality product but based on some of these comments I'm not sure any more. In defence of Amazon.com the options are, return the kit for a full refund or exchange. If I want to sort it out myself with a local distributor they will give me a 10% refund...I figure that's pretty good. The box from Amazon had another box in it that was bubble wrapped, that box contained the shocks. The shocks in that box were wrapped in bubble wrap and the box was zap strapped indicating it came straight from the factory. I don't think you can blame this damage on Amazon.com or on Bilstein, something to do with the shipping.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Bummer to hear this, was just this week trying to figure out how I could finagle a set of these into the budget.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

me too!
I was ready to purchase same set from Amazon.com...
Now what? Should I go for KW3 at $2600+ or is Euro M030+HD shocks still cheaper and reliable by far.

Last edited by f8vr993; 03-17-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: PSS10 Troubles