Sponsored by:

PSS10 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 AM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
It does look bent but that pictures actually is suppose to show how the ***** just fell off when I tried to adjust them. If the tie rods were not in the way the ***** would have fallen to the ground.
larpy , that pic was stuck in my mind right through this thread and i just kept thinking WTF is happening here.

thanks i will sleep tonight
steve
Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine from Performance paid fair price no screws through bottom of adjustment ****. I don't have words for how much I like the ride height and ride. After 4 wheel alignment have them set at 3f 4r firm but very absorbent.

Mark
Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bilstein has sent a new set of front shocks. They should be here tomorrow morning and this saga will be over. Amazon called and stated the set originally came from http://www.worldpac.com. They are a wholesaler of auto parts. After all of this I hold Bilstein responsible and not Amazon. I believe Amazon was caught in the middle. The only down fall for Amazon is they need to do their homework in regards to what is covered by a warranty and what is not. Bilstein's claim is the products were damaged by the supplier of the shipper. At this point I don't give a s--t. I just want my car back togther!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good going. I know you will have your CLEAN ride on the road soon. You will also be really good at front suspension instal! Oh, is Boulder Bob going to help again?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
the set originally came from http://www.worldpac.com. They are a wholesaler of auto parts.
Yeah, the mother of wholesalers. Started as Worldwide Trading by three (?) German guys right here in the Bay Area circa 1970 importing VW and MBZ hard parts. Until the early '90's they were primarily operating everything out of their Hayward mothership. When I had my Phoenix shop in the '80's I bought everything non-dealer from them (or their local satellite, independently owned by another German named Gunther--Authohaus Arizona, who many of you may buy parts online from now). My rep was Dick Lovell's daughter (he started Performance Products in the '60's). Amazing to see how big it's gotten, and I've totally lost touch with anyone I knew there since Carquest bought them out several years ago.

So....................be assured anything Worldpac sells IS authorized by Bilstein. We used to buy all the RSR struts from them for the track cars, as they pretty much carried the full catalog, not just the street parts.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ABCar
Good going. I know you will have your CLEAN ride on the road soon. You will also be really good at front suspension instal! Oh, is Boulder Bob going to help again?

I think I have it covered this time. I hate to keep bothering him. I need to reserve his help for the engine drop when I decide to do it
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
If there's a real issue with the PSS-10 design we'll know about it.
Bilstein wasn't exactly forthcoming with info about the redesign of the defective adjuster mechanism in the PSS9 so don't be so sure about that.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Bilstein wasn't exactly forthcoming with info about the redesign of the defective adjuster mechanism in the PSS9 so don't be so sure about that.
I didn't mean from Bilstein. I meant if there is a design issue (as opposed to an isolated shipping/vendor issue) that we, as in collective we: the owners of PSS-10s, will know about it soon..... as our shocks fail and the dials fall off.......

Apparently KW didn't say anything until there was a BMW forum buzz about their problems. But KW did respond. And I'm guessing Bilstein will, at least in warranties.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Body Roll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larpy, I also bought PSS-10's from Amazon, a couple days after you posted about your order. The ***** look ok (no bolt showing through) and the rest of the shocks are ok, too. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I already installed the fronts but haven't even had the car on the road. (New baby Elena has distracted me from these kind of projects.)

I was thinking to return them to Amazon, since Bilstein is unlikely to honor the warranty. But it sounds like Bilstein did work something out with you. Am I correct? How did that go?

I looked at the pre-installation picture of the kit you posted on the "ARE THESE PSS10's FOR REAL??" thread and you can clearly see the bolt on one of the adjustment ***** in that picture. There's no way that's to spec, and there's no way that happened during shipping. I'm betting Bilstein QC is crap, and that this is an issue only because warranty claims through Amazon are sketchy.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by psagazio
Larpy, I also bought PSS-10's from Amazon, a couple days after you posted about your order. The ***** look ok (no bolt showing through) and the rest of the shocks are ok, too. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I already installed the fronts but haven't even had the car on the road. (New baby Elena has distracted me from these kind of projects.)

I was thinking to return them to Amazon, since Bilstein is unlikely to honor the warranty. But it sounds like Bilstein did work something out with you. Am I correct? How did that go?

I looked at the pre-installation picture of the kit you posted on the "ARE THESE PSS10's FOR REAL??" thread and you can clearly see the bolt on one of the adjustment ***** in that picture. There's no way that's to spec, and there's no way that happened during shipping. I'm betting Bilstein QC is crap, and that this is an issue only because warranty claims through Amazon are sketchy.
If you don't have a bolt through they are probably as good as any. It would be pretty hard to have Bilstein refund or replace under warranty a product that is not broken (yet?).
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Body Roll
Advanced

I don't expect Bilstein to replace them before they are broken. I want to make sure they'll stand behind them after they're broken. That's where sourcing them from Amazon is questionable.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psagazio

PM Sent
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

So how much was the "savings" (or the price) on Amazon.com?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

****Update Please****
Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmreiser
So how much was the "savings" (or the price) on Amazon.com?
Here is the amazon link. $2,018.45
http://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-W0133...tive&carId=003

Quick Reply: PSS10 Troubles