Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, this one of the best looking 993's I've seen!... I wouldn't change a thing but also wouldn't add any more mods tp it that are visible.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Toni. Glad to see you back on the board. I agree with you....

Cheers
M
Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWSOME!!! Good to see a right hand drive grace these pages once in a while.

You have done an absolutely fantastic job with the colours, mods and styling. Very impressive.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job on the car and on the play by play!!!

Well Done!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Beautiful job!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

really nicely done. loving the interior trim and hints of silver on the exterior.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi mate,

Just to let you know that your car looks great and that I have no problem at all that my car gave you a little inspiration for some details.

Rennlist is the main reason why my car looks like it does today. It's like another R'lister said all about sharing.

Seems that I'm just a few steps ahead of you with modificatons

Here are some shots of my interior and engine bay.

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi tjangi.
As always a work in progress. Marcus has made up 5 piece RHD CF dash kit which will be on its way to me soon. Also CF Heater by pass. Dach X catless pipes are almost with me. Next job is to install Dach X,remove alternator for new bearings and paint fan and housing, englarge airbox and install heater by pass.
Marcus has also made me up some lightweight panels to cover transmission and fuel pump to save weight. All will be installed in August and Im now looking at removing the HD sport seats and replacing with some CF bucket seats like Recaro PP. My tarhet is to get the vehicle weight down to 1299kg with half tank fuel no driver. At the moment I have found 60-70kg savings which I will impliment in 2010. However for the last 30kg I dont want to loose functionality so it will be hard. Also still a bit of work to do on the suspension. I feel it may need refining.

goofballdelux. You obviously havent read the thread regards the inspiration for this project and the mention of Delonobe (who I believe may be leaving the 993 camp soon). Your MY02 rims and tints arent that original either you know LOL!

Cheers
M
Originally Posted by Macca
They say immitation is the most sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks to

Last edited by delanobe; 04-28-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bill/Princeton/Delanobe

Thanks for your input guys.

The interior will be finalised/finished in August. Theres just the dash CF pieces to put in and the CF backed Recaro style seats (if I can get a colour match on the leather with my classic grey). Unfortunately Classic Grey is the largest challenge when it comes to the interior as its difficult to find and match. I think with the CF backed seats and the final CF touches it would look very cohesive. Ill aGos be removing around 50lb weight removing the Porsche Hard Backed sports seats. Ill keep those with the original seats in storage with all my wheels for plug and play downstream.

The engine bay will look worthy of photographing around the same time with colour coded alternator, Marcus CF heater bypass and a small modification to the Motorsound airbox I lready have (read some hand work with dremel!). Im also having the Dach X fitted then.

Im also looking for a factory silver dial tachometer. I fitted a silver one (I picked up a set second hand and had them all re dialed in steel grey) but it looked odd at night against the factory dials due to the the way the LED backlights worked with it. I quite liked the look - it was unusual and "unique" LOL! as far as I can tell. If anyone knows one for sale please let me know??

Other than that the only things left on the list are perhaps GT oil coiler, Turbo brakes and Guards LSD. But those are all bigger ticket items that will have to wait for a lotto win along with he 9m billet head upgrade :-)

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM
James-NZ
Intermediate

A very interesting read M. You know how much I love your car and now I understand why I love it so much, I had a bit of an idea of the effort you had put in but I had no idea the scale of it all. Hats off mate, this is without doubt the nicest Porsche I have had the pleasure of viewing.

I noticed it has quite a harmonic at certin revs, is that due to the stiffer mounts?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi James.

Firstly welcome back to the fold! Looks like a nice honest daily driver you have found. You have found a big family here (like you need yet another forum to keep you busy LOL!).

Thanks for the compliments.

Yes you are correct. Engine mounts were changed in 2005 to semi solid RS OEM type. But the tranny mount was changed to a firmer RSR OEM mount in Feb when the RS flywheel and clutch was installed. I believe this may be the contributing factor as you suggest.

The 993 is in for yet more work early August. Youll likely see the results before me!

I have the Dach X catless pipes to install. They are beautifully crafted (although pricey). These save me around 8kg and should improve the sound a little and the flow. My car already has catless cores so I dont think we will find any real hp with these - more a weight and sound thing.

This round is largely about weight so fitting the Odyssey P925 lightweight battery and Rennline billet alloy carrier with break off switch for another 5kg. Ive had some under carriage raw CF made up in germany for the tanny cover, fuel pump cover etc for another 3kg and a CF RS Heater bypass pipe to be fitted for similar reduction. Lastly a rennline alloy driverside floorboard (under carpet). Some small cosmetics such as finishing the remaining 5 pieces for the CF dash and having the alternator fan pulled and re painted (new bearings at same time).

Im installing a new MAF as mine is shot and robbing some HP as well as opening up my airbox a little to improve the aurels.

I think this round will reduce weight by almost 20kg. Not much but will get me down to around 1367kg with half tank and fluids, normal gear etc. My goal is 1300kg but I think that will be very hard to achieve.
I expect the car to become more responsive, a little more urgent and slightly louder which will all add to the fun and excitement of driving it.

2011 plans are sketchy. Motorspots LSD would be a nice upgrade and some light weight CF bucket seats for a 30kg weight benefit....and alotto win LOL!

Take care buddy

M
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM
James-NZ
Intermediate

Nice to hear from you! Thanks for the kind words on my new DD, I am very happy with it, I am putting together a nice list of bits and pieces I want to do, some short term, some longer term. I will talk more with you regarding this as I think you may be able to help me source some of the bits and pieces.

I just spoke to N and mentioned I had read this thread, he wanted me to pass on his regards.

I bet you are looking forward to the next installment of upgrades, the interior carbon will complete it? I cannot think of any more areas you could have carbon inside. I am really looking forward to hearing the new exhaust, you know me and my exhausts, your car already sounds lovely so enhancing that will be quite an achievement.

LSD would be very nice, although I'm not sure you will find any noticeable difference on the road? Perhaps on the track it would be beneficial but I would never have the heart to push a car this nice at a track day. Are the carbon bucket seats a factory Porsche option? They sound very nice, and light!

If you find the guy handing out the winning lotto tickets can you grab a couple for me!! LOL!!

Take care buddy, hope to catch up soon.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi James,

Yes the CF is the last interior touch. Nothing more for the interior. Ive tried to keep it all factory options to date (except for the alloy switch gear and dial surrounds). Even the dimming mirror and rain sensor were tequipment options on the last 993s. Im just completing the factory CF dash which I started with the instrument binnacle years ago but couldnt find any RHD dash pieces to complete the kit. Not sure if it will be too much but can remove it easy enough if I dont like it (held on with scotch foam tape).

You may well be right on the LSD. I would use the Motorsport 40/65 mechanical clutch type as used in the RS. It locks on decelleration so I think will make some difference on spirited street drives. It does create understeer but I have the adjustable RS sway bars to dial that out which is good.

Im really looking forward to finding out what difference the Dach X pipes make. I think it will be subtle but definately and increase as the flow path is much smoother, unrestricted and direct and with opening up the motorsound airbox by 50% it should sound nice on the over run too. Nothing like your yellow beast tho :-)

Some pictures below for interest.

Any help any time mate.....
Attached Images        

Last edited by Macca; 06-17-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 AM
James-NZ
Intermediate

You are a machine!!

That battery looks great, as does the rest of the gear. Custom CF work can't be cheap, for us mere mortals anyway. The end result will be well worth it.

I'll take my DSLR next time I head out to see the car...

Last edited by James-NZ; 06-17-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi James,

Im going to die like everyone else - except likely pooerer LOL! Actually the CF stuff isnt so bad. Ive been using the same supplier for years and they cut me great deals. FYI all the CF stuff you see above totalled $1500 nzd landed. Still it does all add up (I keep a record!)....

It would be really good if you could take the DSLR. Only pics I have is from my Canon S90 compact on wide angle and it wasnt till I downloaded them Ifound they have all distorted the curves of the car a little...

Take care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!