Sponsored by:

Momo horn help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momo horn help please

Ok, so I've read what seems to be every post on the subject and am still trying to figure this out.

I've put in the 964 part (964 652 104 00) and have connected the brown wire with the white stripe to it. What do I do with the solid brown wire which also comes out of the orange connector? When I touch that wire to the 964 part the horn sounds, however when I put the hub on the steering column (confirming that the brass ring connects with the 964 part) the wire in the hub (black) does not have power. This is without replacing the washer and nut that hold the wheel to the column.

So two questions: What do I do with the solid brown wire coming from the orange connector and is it correct for the black wire in the hub to not have power?

Thanks in advance for your help.
David
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David in VA
Ok, so I've read what seems to be every post on the subject and am still trying to figure this out.

I've put in the 964 part (964 652 104 00) and have connected the brown wire with the white stripe to it. What do I do with the solid brown wire which also comes out of the orange connector? When I touch that wire to the 964 part the horn sounds, however when I put the hub on the steering column (confirming that the brass ring connects with the 964 part) the wire in the hub (black) does not have power. This is without replacing the washer and nut that hold the wheel to the column.

So two questions: What do I do with the solid brown wire coming from the orange connector and is it correct for the black wire in the hub to not have power?

Thanks in advance for your help.
David
David:

I installed my MOMO wheel last year, so I can't remember exactly, but I followed these two threads for the install:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...pressions.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-long-dyi.html

I hooked everything up as stated, and the horn works perfectly.

Good Luck - and if you still can't figure it out with these two threads above, I'll take a look tonight and PM you.

Andy
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Thanks Andy, I read those (and quite a few others) many times last night and unless I'm missing it they make no mention of the solid brown wire. I know I'm missing something obvious here, it's probably pretty simple.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Andy, I read those (and quite a few others) many times last night and unless I'm missing it they make no mention of the solid brown wire. I know I'm missing something obvious here, it's probably pretty simple.
I'll pull the horn when I get home tonight, and shot you a PM.

A
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Thanks very much Andy, much appreciated.

Hopefully this makes it clearer, I've attached the brown w/white wire to the "pin" on this part right where the arrow is pointing and confirmed that it has power. I just want to figure out what to do with the solid brown wire coming from the same orange connector.

I used the method detailed in post #16 of this thread but again it makes no mention of the other wire.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
I'll pull the horn when I get home tonight, and shot you a PM.

A
Just post it here so information will be here for everyone.

David,

What do you have connected to the horn button itself? IIRC that's where the brown wire goes?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
David in VA
Instructor

FF, at this point I don't have anything attached to the button but am assuming the black wire inside the hub goes to that.

I couldn't see any way to route the brown wire from the connector to the button, can't get it through the hub.

David
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I think you're correct, it's the black wire.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Bump for the evening crowd.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Ok, just got done figuring this out.

For anybody trying this in the future, the solid brown wire can just be left without attaching to anything.

My problem ended up being that the 964 part was not making contact with the brass ring on the hub when it was fully seated. It wasn't the "height" that was the problem, it was the "angle". Some fiddling with it and it is working fine now, looks and feels great.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi, I've got the exact same problem. So did you connect the 'black' wire within the boss to the back of the horn or the aluminium tab on the hub connector plate? I'll have a look at my 964 part and see if it's making contact. It snaps into the fixing hole though so am assuming it's in the right position????

Still confused...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
David in VA
Instructor

I'm pretty sure I connected the black wire straight to the tab on the horn button, nothing gets attached to the aluminum ring. It's a royal pain to figure all this out but the steering wheel looks and feels great once you do get it done.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 53 Posts

My problem ended up being that the 964 part was not making contact with the brass ring on the hub when it was fully seated. It wasn't the "height" that was the problem, it was the "angle". Some fiddling with it and it is working fine now, looks and feels great.
BINGO! David you're a star! The height was good but the angle was slightly off, I gently bent the contact strip at an angle and horn is now working...

Quick Reply: Momo horn help please