993 Forum 1995-1998

Need Help with Momo RS Wheel Horn Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem solved

Huge thanks to Andy (vuugti) for helping me get the horn to honk. In appreciation, I will now try to save some others from the same frustration.

The horn connection is made as follows:

You need the horn connection part 964.652.104.00. It gets inserted into the hub as others have described. It appears that the pin that goes through the hub goes into the wiring harness and would get power there, however, it really doesn't -- there is no power there. When you insert it for the first time, look behind the hub to see where the pin comes through. You must break off the plastic that covers the pin on the back side (front of car) of the hub when it is inserted. It is best to unplug the harness from the hub to do this -- just pull it will come off. Don't worry about wires where you have to break -- there aren't any. Connect a wire from the Brown/White wire in the orange connector to the pin and use a 14/16 female connector to secure it to the pin. Now you will have power to the 964 part. Then put the Momo hub extension on. Then put the Momo hub ring (unpainted steel part with a male connector) on. Don't connect the wire from the extension on the hub ring to the hub ring. Put the washer and nut back on the steering wheel shaft and torque to 32.5 lbs. Install the steering wheel using the provided allen screws and locktite. Now take the horn button and turn it over in your hand. Install the steel ring that comes with it around the back of the horn button. There is a brass part which comes out from the inside of the back side of the button. I installed the steel ring so that it didn't touch the brass. Plug the wire from the Momo hub extension onto the brass horn connector on the back of the horn and install the horn into the wheel. It should honk. If it doesn't, PM me and I will try to help.

Thanks again Andy.

John

Last edited by JMR; 09-10-2005 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Can't type to save my life
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

John,

You are the man!! Glad to hear you figured it out and sorry I wasn't much help...

I assume when you say connect the brown/white wire in the orange connector, you are talking about the orange connector that powers the horn. This is exactly what I was planning on trying to do, but now we know it is the solution.

Rennlist is a great place....

-Skip
Old 09-10-2005, 09:22 AM
JMR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the one Skip. Don't be shy -- you helped in this process too! I agree, the rennlist community rocks!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks John!

I found the hour today and fixed my setup and it worked like a charm. I didn't hook to the 964 part from behind, but instead to the actual part that connects with the hub. My original problem was that the 964 part wasn't making good contact with the momo hub, and once that was fixed it was done.

I love this place - not only can we get help with solutions, but it also motivates you to fix DIY installs and to play with the car.

I have been using the wheel for a while and absolutely love it because it is smaller and dished out a little giving me more leg room and it just feels awesome in my hands.

-Skip
Old 09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
Congratulations! I really appreciate you posting the solution. It was good talking to you on the phone and hopefully I'll see you at the Glen in October (10-11) for the DE.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post the solution!!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 AM
William Green
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just have to add that those are great instructions and I have changed the wheel and have a fully functioning horn!

Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Great post. Thanks. This will be a sweet data point for the searches.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Momo RS Wheel Horn Wiring