993 Forum 1995-1998

WTB: motor sound airbox cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB: motor sound airbox cover

Before I order a new one thought I'd see if someone has a spare they are will to sell. Yah....I know I could just put some holes in mine but I'd like to have the real thing.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
Before I order a new one...
I didn't know they were still available.

I got a new one off eBay out of the UK last October, and haven't seen one listed since.

Originally Posted by cmat
Yah....I know I could just put some holes in mine but I'd like to have the real thing.
Well here is a pic in case you wanted to know where they go and how many...

I can't believe that Porsche would put chrome on anything. Maybe they thought they were producing a part for Harley Davidson.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
GaryB
Instructor

I bought one on Ebay since it seemed cheap enough that I didn't need to drill my own holes. Here's the link to the company that sold it, looks like some are still in stock.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=993_Air
Good luck,

Garu
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll probably find one here. They aren't too expensive, though. I drilled a very hole pattern similar to the factory one and painted the trumpet with a silver the same as the Porsche wheel paint. I like the look.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The non M-sound box cover is no different than the M-sound box. Turn yours over (looking inside) and you'll see the pattern stamped in there. Drill the pattern and viola.....you have a M-sound box. Do like Bart and spray the trumpet if it makes you feel better
Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

i bought one brand new from Sunset this week. It was $86!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 AM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have opinion on Fabspeed cup airbox vs MSport airbox which I currently have. Is it worth it? Not sure how flow dynamics are changed between holes and completely open? Thanks for input guys
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wht's the diff. with the hole patterns?

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I didn't know they were still available.

Well here is a pic in case you wanted to know where they go and how many...

Originally Posted by 993inNC
The non M-sound box cover is no different than the M-sound box. Turn yours over (looking inside) and you'll see the pattern stamped in there. Drill the pattern and viola.....you have a M-sound box. Do like Bart and spray the trumpet if it makes you feel better
IIRC the hole pattern (template) stamped inside the airbox cover has several 1" (apx) holes, the airbox cover pictured has a bunch of much smaller holes. Is there a different designation for these two hole pattern lids? IMWTK
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a std cover off of Ebay for $10 and drilled holes in it using an MS Word template someone on Rennlist made up. I should still have it. Just PM me with your email if you want it. I believe some have drilled their airbox cover with large holes but this is not what the factory did.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM
cmat
Racer

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I will just order a new one. That Sunset price looks good.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by shldrdoc993
does anyone have opinion on Fabspeed cup airbox vs MSport airbox which I currently have. Is it worth it? Not sure how flow dynamics are changed between holes and completely open? Thanks for input guys
I got one when I first picked up the C4S. When it came I was one the floor! It's the WORST quality piece I have ever seen, eBay China special. The thing is nothing but thin poly printed in a CF look. It's flimsy, cheap, & about 500 times more expensive then it should be. If it was $20, then fine. But not for what they charge.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
IIRC the hole pattern (template) stamped inside the airbox cover has several 1" (apx) holes, the airbox cover pictured has a bunch of much smaller holes.
I couldn't tell you. I'll take a pic of the inside of the MS airbox cover the next time I replace my air filter.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Is there a different designation for these two hole pattern lids? IMWTK
As far as I know, this is the hole pattern for the MS airbox cover. I bought it new.

The OEM airbox cover that came on my car was drilled by someone and not very nicely.

What the Motor Sound airbox cover actually does in the real world other than take a few bills out of your pocket....not much I would think. But I wanted one to replace the rough looking OEM unit on the car.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
matt777
Drifting

Drilling the holes is a bit of a PITA as you have to deburr each hole and there are a lot of them. Perhaps a different type of bit or a chamfering tool would speed things up. Its still one of the easier DIYs.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Drilling the holes is a bit of a PITA as you have to deburr each hole and there are a lot of them. Perhaps a different type of bit or a chamfering tool would speed things up. Its still one of the easier DIYs.
After seeing this thread, and yesterday was my RDO (revolving day off)- I decided to go forth with making a motor sound cover. Overall, it took me about 2 hours.

I started by using an awl to ID the center of each cirlce on the template on the underside of the box cover. The cirlces are VERY faint, so it is easy to say one doesn't have them. you have to hold the box at various angles to see them.

I used the awl to put a mark as near the center of each circle as possible, this indentation would later serve as a mark for the drill. Once you have about 1/3 of the holes marked, the pattern begins to become apparent, and you really don't need the cirlces, as all the holes are aligned.

Once I had all the holes marked, I broke out the drill, I used a small one at first to mark the holes, thinking I would then bore them out in the second pass.

It wasn't until I returned to this thread that I saw the holes should be 1/8". I actually did some at 11/64, which seemed about as BIG as they can be. Thus I did an alternating row on one side, so one side has every other row at 11/64, and all others are 1/8" it doesn't look bad, but uniform 1/8" looks about right.

The PITA part was de-burring all the holes. Yesterday was a nice day, and my wife was at work, the kids at school, so it was a pleasant time spent with my dog in the backyard.

Since I was working on the car, I washed an waxed it in the PM!

I will get pics today of the finished air box later today.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
matt777
Drifting

For those wanting the template....I need your email address as I don't see how to attach the MS Word template doc to a Rennlist PM message.

PS I don't know who made this template up so I can't give credit where credit is due. Sorry!

Originally Posted by matt777
I bought a std cover off of Ebay for $10 and drilled holes in it using an MS Word template someone on Rennlist made up. I should still have it. Just PM me with your email if you want it. I believe some have drilled their airbox cover with large holes but this is not what the factory did.

Quick Reply: WTB: motor sound airbox cover