Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight light knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have some before and after shots of their headlight *****?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this deserves a section in Pcarworkshop.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I just bought some Genuine Parts Company stock (NAPA).
Outstanding!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr

It's the cigarette lighter. Take it out and into the house and you will see it has the exact same makeup as the headlight switch. You can easily practice your no damage technique on that. By the way, there's not even a bulb to worry about hurting in that lighter
VMXWinn ~ I don't think there is a bulb in the ciggy lighter. Maybe we should start a mod for the cig lighter!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
Ok, so I saw this thread and thought wow my headlight *** does not light up so I stopped by Napa and they had them, they come in a bag of 10, Wagner bulbs made in Germany for .98 cents each. So I get home tonight and change the bulb, cool fixed somthing that I didn't know was broken. So now I realize that my cig lighter does not light up now either.
Yeah, and my fog light **** doesn't light up, should it? Should all of the ***** light up?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by CADguy
Yeah, and my fog light **** doesn't light up, should it? Should all of the ***** light up?
The headlight **** is the only **** that should be lit any time the car is running (day or night). The others only come on when the headlights are on. But, I'm not sure if that includes the cig. lighter as I haven't had that installed since 5 min. after I bought the car, the radar det. plugs in there!

Can we make it 6 pgs.......?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Has anyone tackled the LED upgrade?
It shouldn't be too big of a deal. If there's room to solder a resistor to one leg of the LED and end up with it being no bigger than the bulb, it should work.

Might have to play around with the resistor value to get it just right (not too bright, not too dim).

Of course by the time the LED solution is ready, everyone will have already bought ten bulbs and fixed all of the burned out ones.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess pics of a removed **** will help this DIY for sure ...

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My headlight switch bulb is a little dim so I was thinking of doing an HID conversion. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure where to put the ballast since it won't fit in the ****.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:50 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you use the slim version.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might have to play around with the resistor value to get it just right (not too bright, not too dim).
So what if we added a semi-conductor switch that would automatically dim the light when the headlights are on. That way at night, it would not be so annoying?

Vince
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by vincer77
So what if we added a semi-conductor switch that would automatically dim the light when the headlights are on. That way at night, it would not be so annoying?

Vince
Well Vince, that would make it a lot more complicated (but very doable), and I'm not sure we really need it.

As long as it's visible at night, and not too bright to be distracting, it doesn't need to be very visible during the daytime.

Wait a minute... I bit on that, I think you're just trying to push this thread to 6 pages
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Vince, that would make it a lot more complicated (but very doable), and I'm not sure we really need it.

As long as it's visible at night, and not too bright to be distracting, it doesn't need to be very visible during the daytime.

Wait a minute... I bit on that, I think you're just trying to push this thread to 6 pages
Hook, line and sinker!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

So I was test-driving a C2S last week at dusk, and once I managed to get the car started (thank you immobilizer), the next thing I did was turn on the headlights. Or rather I *tried* to turn on the headlights by giving the headlight **** a good solid pull, same as I've done for years with my '89 Carrera.

The **** came off in my hand. I bought the car, figuring I'd broken it.

Now, reading this thread, I have to wonder: Should I get credit for my first 993 DIY project?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting to the light bulb under the head light ****, all that needs to be done is to pull back on the ****. It will pop off and the the light bulb will be on the switch, were you can pull the bulb out using your fingers. Push the new light in then look at the back side of the **** and you will see a lip that needs to be lined up with a grove on the light switch push it back on "done". You don't need to remove the lens on the ****....John

Quick Reply: headlight light knob